• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your style, where you live and SF

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all the girls here under age 35 all dress pretty much the same. some mall brand clothing of course which is relativitly cheap compared to SF approved stuff. most of the guys here its either wannabe gangsta or douche. both are bad. oversized clothing by two sizes or bootcut jeans with wannabe rocker styling.

also the graphic tees/longsleeve thing did not die over here by a longshot.

Jupiter Room

Reaction score
I live in Oslo, the capital of Norway. I go to the biggest university in my country. But it's still a rare treat when I see someone I think is well dressed, or would be by SF standards. Maybe that's the problem? Hanging out here makes you very picky. But much of the looks I've seen here are just unheard of. Never even seen someone in real life trying to pull of goth ninja. The people who try to make the impression that they care are kind of fat and in cheap mondays whit some kind of hipster accessories. Not even the girls seems to care at all. Not until they're 25, at least.

I try to dress better just to feel good. There really is no way back, is there? But at least I think I've found a bit of direction. Hopefully people(girls) will start noticing once it gets more consistent. All though I do get some positive comments from female friends. After some time. So maybe people do notice, just doesn't know how to compliment?

mert54

Reaction score
I live about 15 minutes from San Francisco, a city known for wild style, It is hard to look straight, as you might imagine. (once I saw a purple polo with a fur collar)

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
I didn't know LK wears polos.

Let me see, I live in the middle of nowhere (and at the same time, everywhere). There are plenty of Amish, farmers and Hispanics. I like dressing well because it makes me feel good, I just feel off if I know something isn't perfect. Also, I have a tendency of becoming obsessed with things, and clothing is just the latest thing I have geeked out on.

Everyone at my school wears AF, AEO and Hollister. The closest thing to expensive jeans that I have seen were a pair of fake TR's. People think that places like A/X are extremely expensive. I often get compliments or questions regarding my items. I have gotten a few negative comments, but usually from people who have no clue regarding anything related to fashion. The positives usually are something along the lines of looking model-like or "European." At work today one of the Mexican cooks asked me where I got my J. Lindeberg's, which I thought was neat as they are very slim tapereds, and he was genuinely curious. People also seem to love my Inapt.

And on a topic raised in the fundamental truths thread, gays certainly can't dress. Or at least no higher a percentage than normal folk.

Hagen

Reaction score
I live in good ol' wyoming. I am still in highschool though and i never really purchased anything outside of high end denim. Everyone calls me gay for wearing high dollar pants...they say their $10 walmart pants can kick my $200 - $500 pants everyday. I try to explain but they just call me metro, gay, emo and *** so i just shrug it off and say whatever. The chicks dig it though surprisingly, considering most of the chick magnets dress in abercrombie and american eagle and nothing outside of it. Alot of girls just find it interesting I know so much about denim and how to take care of it.

A couple kids wear knock off nudies round here and when i asked them what brand they were they just shrugged and said who cares they were cheap. I dont really come here for my little outlet from the world and a place to discuss clothes, actually I really am not an active member at all. I just enjoy reading the vast knowledge here and picking up some small tips.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
the thing is, i dont buy clothes so anyone else can appreciate it, i buy clothes so i can appreciate it. if other people have bad thoughts of me it bothers me, but not to the point where i will do anything about it. i wear what i wear cause i want to, i dont need someone else's respect to motivate me

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I laugh at the model-like and Euro comment, that's exactly what I'm told here in SFL. One woman I was talking to at a grocery store a few months ago ask me if I was a model due to how I dressed and my over-all physique. Like you all, I dress exclusively for myself because 99% of the time no one really notices and if they do they hardly ever commented. Then again, there are others who would label me as gay just because of my slim attire even women. If my motivation was for attracting women I'd have ceased dressing this way a long time ago.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
A conversation i had with gosurface yesterday applies to this thread i think:

Me- Damn, i really wanna buy that cape/cloak and i bet i could talk the buyer down to make it affordable
Him- Yea, it's really nice but not as verastile with your hipster/educator fits
Me- Nah, i think i could still pull it off wearing it to go teach
Him- hahaha. swooping in on your kids. that'd be fun to see

If you have confidence to pull stuff off, you can wear more than you think. It's when you wear something, look nervous about it and are shy about wearing something "different" when it looks weird. I don't dress exactly in gainesville how i would if i lived in nyc, but i don't let it petrify me from trying stuff a bit outside the norm for my city.

Also, your lifestyle plays a bit role i believe. While i do some teaching, i still am living in a college town with all my friends in college classes. I need lots of really casual looks to hang around in. If i move somewhere and have a full time job, i'll probably morph my wardrobe a bit towards more stuff geared towards what i wear to work, and a few oufits for weekends and nights out.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
merry xmas alex!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You two have left me all alone
frown.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
justin, are you around monday? i have gift cards, whiskey and an upgraded Amex. let's roll!

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
crackup[1].gif
So true. Damn, I miss Baltimore.

Growing up outside of Baltimore and a little closer to Annapolis, there was a strange mix between white-boy hip hop and preppy. Like a few others, I developed a sense of style through music. In particular, through my interest in punk rock and skateboarding. Most of the time, I wore things that would make me stand out of the crowd, but bleached jeans and Grinders will do that. Towards the end of high school, this developed into a more relaxed skater look, to an all out I-don't-give-a-**** college years. Luckily, I snapped out of that and found a new sense of style as I gravitated back towards hardcore.

And now I have found SF while trying to find a more permanent adult style. For me, it's all about being proud of your look while feeling comfortable in your surroundings. Clothes have definitely turned into a hobby, more of a distraction during the torturous years of grad school. I'm slowly building a wardrobe comprised of well informed, and highly selective, purchases. SF has provided an outlet for this interest and threads like WAYWNT allow me to see how "real" stylish people dress, not just models in magazines and catalogs. Also, it has provided an outlet to talk and learn about these clothes, as most people I know don't care at all.

You should post more often in the WAYWT thread...curious to see your style. Sounds like it would be pretty cool.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I've recently been noticing Vancouver trending more and more towards the SF aesthetic among guys who appear to be paying attention to what they wear. Same with whistler to some extent (though there are a ton of hipsters there). Girls are still wearing the leggings/tight jeans tucked into boots plus something drapey on top combination.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
god i hate the leggings on the women because most of the wrong women are doing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads