• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your style, where you live and SF

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm assuming there are a lot of guys who don't live in big "cosmopolitan" cities like NYC, LA, London etc.

so if you happen to live in a smaller town, it's unlikely there's anyone who can appreciate your $200+ jeans etc, so what motivates you to buy the stuff you do?

I've always lived in the LA area, so it's easy to buy stuff after having tried it on and seen it IRL, as well as be around others who can appreciate your wares but if you live someplace a bit more off the beaten track, what inspires you to spend so much on gear that no one in your real world would understand/appreciate?

are places like SF your outlet for being around others "like yourelf" if only in a cyber context?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
My work schedule doesn't allow me to enjoy any other hobbies... I wouldn't care about clothing nearly as much if I could find a kickboxing school and train 3 hours a day. That, and the internet.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
are places like SF your outlet for being around others "like yourelf" if only in a cyber context?
I'd say so. I'd like to think I'd spend less time on here if there were more people/businesses/culture locally that shared my interests. Luckily, I get to share time between the two extremes yet I've never had anyone on either side (with the exception of SFites) verbally acknowledge that they had a clue what I was wearing.

On either extreme, the alternative for not dressing how I do (ie: my buddies, general public) is just not something I could go (back) to.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty much, they're the only places in the world i discuss clothes

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
In OC and most of LA most everybody dresses like **** anyway so it doesn't have any impact on what I wear. If I was busier I would hardly check the forums.

I have two friends that can relate so this isn't an outlet for me.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Seattle is not that big but I am guessing that you would include it on your list of exceptions (NY, LA, London) as I can find all the pretty **** locally. If you don't I would be perfectly happy to list the reasons for why I dress/spend the way I do.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
"like yourelf"

I don't talk about him to anyone.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people around here don't understand why I'd spend the amount of money I do on clothing. Friends who know how much I spend on certain things will often make references to it and how I should have spent the money on something else (usually something they spend their money on). Since I've really become an active poster on here though I've found that I have made wise purchases that I feel were good values and will last a long time, even if my friends and family think it's a waste of money.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I live, everyone dresses like ****, and is previous level...

I guess i've been interested in updating my wardrobe for a while, and after i reached the whole j.crew/rl/lacoste stage, i had to head somewhere else to take it to the next level, ya know?

actually i originally started coming to SUFU to find the perfect pair of jeans, then after reading some **** i got very involved...
now i have no problem dropping hundreds of dollars on anything

but i look alot better

im going to do an evolution of my style one of these days in picture format, and you can easily see the pre/post how i've developed due to immense knowledge of these communities

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
constant struggle i thought you were in NY?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I live in a fairly rural area, but one that, I suppose, is moving up (both good and bad). We have a shirt-and-tie dress code at work in my department, and I will wear a suit a couple of times a week. People are like, wtf? By now they are accepting it as an eccentricity rather than snobbery, and that's good, because I'm snobbish about clothes. For casual, no one will recognize my Earnest Sewns (only when I walked into the ES store in NY did they meet with approval), or any of my favorite outerwear.

I spend what I spend on clothes for the same reason I spend lots of dough on really good spirits, and the same reason I spend lots of heartache driving around in an old Jag -- it provides some beauty and poetry in my life. Makes me feel good. I don't dress for anyone else so there's really nothing else at the heart of it but me.

Apart from SF, the only place I discuss clothes is with my tailor, several hours away.

~Huntsman

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would venture to say that people were considerably made into the selves they are by SF.

For example, I was brought to SF not because I had a preconceived style or knew exactly what I was looking for. All I knew what that I wanted faded jeans. That was it. A couple of Googles and eventaully up popped SF. First post I ever read was by ringxring. I didn't even know what dry/raw denim was.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Arkansas. people only wear hollister, abercrombie, and american eagle. and think they are luxurious expensive clothes.

most of my friends are concerned with dressing good, and i've loved wearing nice, unique clothes. i really want to move to a big city.

constant struggle i got you beat. my neighbor used to have over 100 llamas.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah in my first house in this town when i was younger
i used to go to the fence in the backyard and there would be horses there and i would feed them carrots ha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads