• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your style icons

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Maybe this guy's too young, but Igby in "Igby Goes Down".

I like Ralph Lauren himself.

I knew this Japanese cat who knew karate, taught himself (and now teaches) Muay Thai kickboxing and dressed pretty cool. Loose jeans cuffed (he wore Evisus way back in the day) chain wallet, tight-ish shirt and or tank top. Either high top sneaks or boots. I thought it was hella cool.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Role models are important. Nevertheless, I've sought to develop and contiune to develop my own style. My biggest influence has been the texture and feel of the fabrics of a given style. The personality of the "icons" override and color the garments so much that they are no help to making my own choices. I guess it's the researcher in me that wants to rule out the biases with a double-blind method.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
ok, here are my style icons...

1. cary grant
2. Nick Charles
3. Bond, by connery and brosnan only (no 70's hipsters..)

Excellent. I will add...

Hecule Poirot
Pierce Brosnan in Thomas Crowne
Dean Martin

b

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Ellison and Prince Charles are the only two that come to mind right now. Though I'm sure there are others.

aarghh

Reaction score
Real life:

Jimmy Stewart - "Rope", anyone?
James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, et al.
Alain Delon
Sidney Poitier
Duke Ellington
Charlie Watts

Fictional:
Lord Peter Wimsey
John Steed (The Avengers)
Archie Goodwin (from the Nero Wolfe books)

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Anyone think of Tom Cruise in his movies. I personally like his clothes in Eyes Wide Shut (overcoats and suits); Top Gun (aviators and flight jackets).

I am still partial to that suit from Collateral. When I have a son, I will take him to shop in the very same boys department where that came from
biggrin.gif
. And his streetwear in MI III and War of the Worlds.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned David Letterman. Style icon, maybe not, but he sure does have some pretty suits. I also really do like PB in any Bond movie or the Thomas Crowne Affair. I also have to say that, while I don't always like the shirts, I really do like Ari Gold's suits, ties and shoes on Entourage. Maybe if I dressed like that I could be just as big a prick and get away with it
tongue.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned David Letterman. Style icon, maybe not, but he sure does have some pretty suits. I also really do like PB in any Bond movie or the Thomas Crowne Affair. I also have to say that, while I don't always like the shirts, I really do like Ari Gold's suits, ties and shoes on Entourage. Maybe if I dressed like that I could be just as big a prick and get away with it
tongue.gif

but he wears white socks!
crazy.gif

david_letterman9.jpg

johnny, on the other hand....
johnny1.jpg

wilson brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
fred astaire
fred_astaire.jpg

the rat pack
200px-Rat_Pack.jpg

david niven
DavidNiven.jpg

springsteen
KOT9cf183d0b_Bruce_Springsteen.JPG

redford
1128175051_4394.jpg

and newman
10103917.jpg

You like American style too
smile.gif
..but don't forget this California guy-

fonda_large.jpg

topbroker

Reaction score
I seem to recall that someone here or at AAAC once paid tribute in this vein to Robert Hardy as Siegfried Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small, and I would certainly second that. Peter Davison as Tristan Farnon looked smashing too.

I have elsewhere tipped my hat to Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko, despite the odiousness of the character's character.

So many male stars of the Old Hollywood always had style -- Joel McCrea, Alan Ladd. Watch Kiss Me Deadly for Ralph Meeker looking great as Mike Hammer -- pocket squares, French cuffs, great shoes, a stylish lightweight topcoat in the opening scene. Va-va-voom!

Among fictional characters, Jay Gatz in The Great Gatsby, and clotheshorse FBI agent Kemper Boyd in James Ellroy's American Tabloid (J. Edgar Hoover to Boyd: "There have been times when I wondered how your salary could sustain your wardrobe").

A number of college basketball coaches dress really well. Billy Donovan of the University of Florida is classic in the sleek Italian mode. Jay Wright of Villanova favors a more detailed "bond trader" look, as I do.

I'm sure I'll think of others.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
I'm sure I'll think of others.

Golfer Payne Stewart; he's near the top of the list. He wore his plus-fours with real elan.

Sinatra, of course!

Newsman Anderson Cooper (whom I'm often told I resemble). Singer Chris Isaak.

For a local Wisconsin icon, there's Tim Sheehy, president of the Metropolitan Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce. Note the horizontal-striped shirt with white collar in the first photo. Thumbs up!

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
For a local Wisconsin icon, there's Tim Sheehy, president of the Metropolitan Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce. Note the horizontal-striped shirt with white collar in the first photo. Thumbs up!

You trying to land the Chamber's investment account or something?
smile.gif

P.S. Isn't the whole horizontal-striped shirt kind of dated? (80's, Gordon Gecko)

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
You trying to land the Chamber's investment account or something?
smile.gif

Nah, I just think it's cool for a chamber executive to be looking sharp. I admire that. Chamber execs deal with lots of people and send a continual message about the market they represent. Sheehy is often cited as one of the best-dressed guys in Milwaukee and in Wisconsin -- he's not a dowdy Midwesterner, and that really can affect how our business scene is viewed.

P.S. Isn't the whole horizontal-striped shirt kind of dated? (80's, Gordon Gecko)
I have discussed this in other threads recently, but I (and some others) are still partial to the look. "Dated" is a limited concept in Wisconsin anyway; since we're not cutting-edge and there's not much sartorial judgmentalism, you can stand out by wearing well whatever you happen to wear well, not some look that's been deemed "in" (for the next five minutes) by the arbiters of style.

So you can incorporate a bit of Gekko here without being in the least dated. Let's do the time warp again.

Ramses

Reaction score
Chairman Kaga- Who made his outfits?
kagavictorynl6.jpg

Ric Flair
vlcsnap674227ew6.png

vlcsnap674281eq0.png

6294310lna6.jpg

Randy Savage
savagewwfchampioncd0.jpg

Hollywood Hulk Hogan
25wrestling1ed7.jpg

Harajuku
1252002lvz9.jpg

Frank Stella

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads