• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your significant other and your clothes habit

marc37

Reaction score
Before l tell everyone my storey l must ask; what are pocket protectors??? Great stories everyone, l have laughed alot during reading these. My storey is pretty similar actually.
biggrin.gif
l never tell my girl how much l pay for shoes or cloths. lf l pay over $500 for shoes, trousers or a shirt (this is always) l never tell her this. lf l tell her l paid over $500 for shoes there would be a fight: yes very loud voices [all from her]. l always try to avoid the topic but never can. (l sympathize with you Kai and Foxx). She states that l have too many cloths and that 10 pairs of shoes is more than enough and very obsessive and selfish. (What she doesn't know is that l have well over 10 shoes [try 10 dozen
wink.gif
] and have no plans in stopping soon). l have to hide all my shoes. Once you reach over 50 pairs they become easy to hide because [to most people] all shoes look the same). The day she discovered l had a wardrobe full of expensive designer labels was when she really hit the roof. l did a good job in keeping the labels secret but she had to find out eventually. Anyway; there are so many good shoes to yet be purchased, l can't stop now. (Lobb, Edward Green, Cleverley, Berluti, etc). She has great style as well (very 1940's) but she isn't as obsessive as me. She says that people on these forums are selfish people who have their priorities out of wack. Her points are: Why buy 100 pairs of shoes when you only need 5 pairs [and could give extra money to charity or starving nations]
confused.gif
Why are you wasting your time speaking to idiots about cloths and shoes [what a waste of time]
confused.gif
She says she respects me less when l pay a high price for cloths/shoes: she says l don't deserve to be in a postion that l am because l waste money. She wishes l was poor and had a low paying job so l will get a grip and wake up to myself [and value what is really important]. Strangely enough, l agree with her almost entirely.
bored.gif

JohnMS

Reaction score
Dang.

The only thing stopping me from buying a pair of Gravati peccary and alligator saddle shoes is that I could never wear them without divulging their price to my wife.

"Oh sure honey, I know we need a new washer and dryer, but I bought this lovely pair of shoes instead."

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that there is a difference between building/maintaining a wardrobe and being a collector. Right now, I am building a wardrobe, and know that in the long run I will get more mileage and satisfaction and value out of well-fitted, well constructed clothes. Ergo, I will be more productive at my job and in life (and maybe my fiance will think I'm more attractive
smile.gif
). For those in my position, talking to these "idiots" on this board is invaluable and beneficial, not to mention fun. But if you are simply collecting shoes -- you have Lobbs but WANT a pair of Greens, etc., then maybe you've reached the point where the criticism of the Sig Other is warranted. But I'm sure my Sig Other would flip if she knew that I thought that an $800 Chan was a much better purchase than the $150 Tommy Traveler she saw at TJ's one day.

quill

Reaction score
Before l tell everyone my storey l must ask; what are pocket protectors???
They are...or were (do they still exist?)... little plastic sleeves with a high back. They fit inside a shirt pocket, and pen/pencils can be inserted into them so that the high back protects the shirt material. Supposedly, they were the mark of a true geek/nerd, though I refuse to get in the middle of this point of view. Whew. The money that people on this forum spend on clothing amazes me. Not that I could afford to do so, or have the experience of knowing what true bespoke is really like, but it nonetheless amazes me. I make no judgement on anyone. I'm just...amazed.
dontgetit.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She actually encourages me.

I spend about 4 full months a year of shopping for my kids shops, both in Italy and in showrooms in the states, so when it comes to getting something for myself, i keep on pushing it off.  WHen I finally go I am very impulsive as I have had enough of shopping.  So...when I come hopme with something my wife cringes until she can see what it is as she knows that the whole process has taken me under 10 minutes.  

This is all changing now (as a result of this forum?  Perhaps) .  I recently bought a nice suit for my neices wedding and my wife was making fun of how I was strutting around like a peacock with my new shoes and tie as well.  

SO I suppose that this thread should be revisited by me in a year from now to see where this has all taken me. (Bankruptcy?)

JJF

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not bankruptcy. In the long run, I'm going to be doing a lot LESS shopping as a result of this forum. I have no desire to own 20 pairs of shoes -- but because of this forum, I will soon own 6 or 7 nice pair that should hold up for at least 2 or more years (can a pair of Aldens REALLY last five or more years&#33
wink.gif
. I have no desire to own 20 suits, but as a result of this forum I hope to own 5 to 7 suits that fit me perfectly and will last for at least 5 years. As a result of this forum I hope that my big Jantzen purchase will be enough for at least a year, and probably 2 years, and that I will purchase one or two more shirts every six months or so. The result? The money I've saved through frugality and temp . jobs these last four years will be spent largely on getting a wardrobe for my new station in life. I shall enjoy the purchasing for the next few months, and then recede back into nonshopping life for quite a while. A big upfront expenditure will go a long way because now I know about VALUE -- for instance, that Armani suits are crap, and that I shouldn't get that Boss dress shirt I saw on Bluefly for $80, and that instead of buying my dress shoes at Banana for $150, I should get some Alden's on sale for $200. Now, maybe I'll keep buying ties regularly, but that's a pretty cheap vice when you are getting them at the Basement.
smile.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Whew. The money that people on this forum spend on clothing amazes me. Not that I could afford to do so, or have the experience of knowing what true bespoke is really like, but it nonetheless amazes me. I make no judgement on anyone. I'm just...amazed. Â
dontgetit.gif
I know what you mean, quill. Johnny, I would think certainly your Aldens ought to last you for many years if they are rotated and kept with shoe trees, regularly polished, etc. Suits and dress shirts all ought to last multiple years if cared for properly and purchased prudently. You mentioned having enough Jantzens for two years; I would think many of them would last multiples of that if properly laundered (read some of Mr. Kabbaz's posts on that issue.). And I agree, it certainly makes more sense to buy Aldens (or AEs) on sale than Banana Republic et al.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Found a shoe for Mr. Harris that should work with that '71 El Camino.
shoe1.jpg

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Shoes
biggrin.gif
Johnny- I wouldn't plan on spending that little. Fine haberdashery tends to grow on one...
cool.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, Steve, fine golf equipment does as well -- my money is scarce.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
My storey is pretty similar actually.
l never tell my girl how much l pay for shoes or cloths. lf l pay over $500 for shoes, trousers or a shirt (this is always) l never tell her this. lf l tell her l paid over $500 for shoes there would be a fight: yes very loud voices [all from her]. l always try to avoid the topic but never can. (l sympathize with you Kai and Foxx).

She states that l have too many cloths and that 10 pairs of shoes is more than enough and very obsessive and selfish. (What she doesn't know is that l have well over 10 shoes [try 10 dozen ] and have no plans in stopping soon). l have to hide all my shoes. Once you reach over 50 pairs they become easy to hide because [to most people] all shoes look the same). The day she discovered l had a wardrobe full of expensive designer labels was when she really hit the roof. l did a good job in keeping the labels secret but she had to find out eventually. Anyway; there are so many good shoes to yet be purchased, l can't stop now. (Lobb, Edward Green, Cleverley, Berluti, etc).

She has great style as well (very 1940's) but she isn't as obsessive as me. She says that people on these forums are selfish people who have their priorities out of wack. Her points are:
Why buy 100 pairs of shoes when you only need 5 pairs [and could give extra money to charity or starving nations]
Why are you wasting your time speaking to idiots about cloths and shoes [what a waste of time]

She says she respects me less when l pay a high price for cloths/shoes: she says l don't deserve to be in a postion that l am because l waste money. She wishes l was poor and had a low paying job so l will get a grip and wake up to myself [and value what is really important]. Strangely enough, l agree with her almost entirely.

WOW. i'm without speech

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
But I bet you're never tempted to throw your clothes into a water hazard, or bend them around a tree. Steve B. 18 Handicap (and that's on a good day&#33
wink.gif
wink.gif

NavyStyles

Reaction score
"Oh sure honey, I know we need a new washer and dryer, but I bought this lovely pair of shoes instead."
You could always opt for a washboard -- and then pray that your wife has an abnormal amount of tolerance
biggrin.gif

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Well, the shoes will last longer than the groceries
wink.gif
. Jon.
A little "sole" food never hurt anybody.
wink.gif

haha -- Hilarious. Humor right up my alley.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics