• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your significant other and your clothes habit

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
Whew. I thought I purchased clothing but walk-in closets and $2K put me to shame. Still, I agree with bslo when he says, "It's rather irritating that the modern heterosexual male is not supposed to give a thought to his wardrobe." Recently I've decided, when asked, to draw the parallel of a car-buff. While they have their design passion, I have mine. For whatever reason, one sometimes carries a stereotype of sexual preference, while the other is made to appear manly. Really, while personal appearance can be done to make oneself feel better and to draw the attention of males or females (depending on one's preference), "tricking out" a car is done almost exclusively to draw the approval of other males--and from that one can infer what they will.
Having traveled to many urban areas, I can see that it's much easier to dress nicer there than it is here in the South. Though the South and its ruralness do have many, many positives (particularly sunsets in the summer), being gawked at simply because one is wearing a button-up shirt and blazer, on a day other than Sunday, is an odd, and discomforting, feeling. Makes me sad that we don't all dress a little nicer, like the dieing stereotype of a "Southern Gentleman."

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tricking out" a car is done almost exclusively to draw the approval of other males--and from that one can infer what they will.
Now that's probably the truth of the matter, but I don't think that those doing the tricking out are aware of it. I'll betcha they are thinking they are doing it for the chicks. Course, I am not entirely innocent in this area. I went through my muscle car phase (still love muscle cars actually.) I was convinced that my 71' El Camino would be a babe magnet. The results proved otherwise
biggrin.gif
One thing is for certain - it was a cop magnet.

quill

Reaction score
Whew. I thought I purchased clothing but walk-in closets and $2K put me to shame. Still, I agree with bslo when he says, "It's rather irritating that the modern heterosexual male is not supposed to give a thought to his wardrobe."  Recently I've decided, when asked, to draw the parallel of a car-buff. While they have their design passion, I have mine. For whatever reason, one sometimes carries a stereotype of sexual preference, while the other is made to appear manly. Really, while personal appearance can be done to make oneself feel better and to draw the attention of males or females (depending on one's preference),  "tricking out" a car is done almost exclusively to draw the approval of other males--and from that one can infer what they will.
Having traveled to many urban areas, I can see that it's much easier to dress nicer there than it is here in the South. Though the South and its ruralness do have many, many positives (particularly sunsets in the summer), being gawked at simply because one is wearing a button-up shirt and blazer, on a day other than Sunday, is an odd, and discomforting, feeling. Makes me sad that we don't all dress a little nicer, like the dieing stereotype of a "Southern Gentleman."
SCB (sorry for the shortening of your signature),

I wouldn't worry about the state of dress in the South.

I think dress is all about your own healthy attitude, and I think it shows. There are guys who are built like gods...but it's "armor," and it's obvious. Then there are guys who are built like gods...and they're the nicest, down-to-earth people you could meet, because it has to do with their healthy attitude. Again, you can tell the difference.

So I think each guy has to find his own way of feeling good about himself and expressing it in the way he dresses. Sure, fashion-sense will always help, but if YOU feel good about what you are wearing, then don't let anybody else demean you for it. Your attitude will be obvious.

Best regards,

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conversation last night between a friend, me and my wife at dinner:

Friend: "I bought a hat yesterday to keep the sun off my head."

Me: "I just bought a hat too, a straw Panama hat."

Friend: "Is it a Montechristi hat? I've been there, you know, when I was in Equador."

Me "Yes, hand woven."

Friend: "Cool. Some of those hats can be pretty expensive. I've heard of people paying $500 for a Panama hat."

Wife: "What kind of idiot would pay $500 for a Panama hat."

[DANGER.DANGER Will Robinson.] [Wife begins reading my mind]

Wife: "YOU didnt' pay $500 for YOUR hat did you?"

Me: (quite truthfully) "Umm . . . uhhh . . . No."

Wife: "How much DID you pay for that hat, anyway?"

[Deer in the headlights]

Me: (quite truthfully) "Umm . . . uhhh . . . Not $500. Hey, who wants desert?

[Wife glaring at me.]

Wife: "I don't think I like that hat any more."

quill

Reaction score
Very funny.
biggrin.gif

quill

Reaction score
And did I mention... very funny? Okay, what's goin' on with the duplicate posts? Must be my other personality again.
dozingoff.gif
("Back, you mutinous dog." Sounds of scuffling and severe beating).

JohnMS

Reaction score
Kai,

Not too many BYU professors wearing Panama hats, eh? (or for that matter anything other than a polyester-blend shirt)

quill

Reaction score
Hey...is there any way to delete our own posts? Seriously; it's beginning to look like an aerie in here. I'm shuttin' down the bird momentarily. I swear I didn't post that last message again by myself. So...how do we delete our own posts? quill

BGW

Reaction score
I don't think you can delete entire posts, but you can use the "Edit" feature to delete the contents of the duplicate post entirely, which is half the battle.

quill

Reaction score
Thanks, BGW.

Sorry for the interruption, everyone.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So by not $500 do you mean more?

But, yes Panama hats in the 500 range tend to be entry level from my expreience. They can go up to the tens of thousands I believe.

Much like English couture hats by Treacy or Jones.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So by not $500 do you mean more?

But, yes Panama hats in the 500 range tend to be entry level from my expreience. They can go up to the tens of thousands I believe.
Yes, quite a bit more (but not tens of thousands.)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
el camino? Â a tr-car (half truck half car?) Â i don't get those.
Cruck? Trar? Â
biggrin.gif
Elco's are one of those love it or hate things (most hate them I think.) But they are just the thing when you want a muscle car but still need a truck bed. Discussing El Camino's on the Style Forum?? Sorry guys, this could be the wierdest topic hijcking ever.. But while we are on the subject, I suggest a gunmetal grey Elco - goes best with a business suit Â
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads