• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your significant other and your clothes habit

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What does your significant other think about your clothes habit? I'm specifically looking for condescending put-downs, sarcastic asides, and the like, but I'm curious in general about how they react to your hobby.

I'll tell my story first: when I bought a digital camera, she said (first words out of her mouth), "You're going to take pictures of your shoes and post them on the internet, aren't you?" To which I could only reply, "Ummmm, no?"

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny topic. That sounds like something my wife would say.

My wife cracks on my clothing habits on a daily basis, to which I reply sarcastically that I am "A simple man, of simple tastes."

My number one requirement for our house purchase? A walk in closet for me. She agreed to take the smaller closet in the guest room, in exchange for the large bathroom with a tub. Fair trade, I'd say.

bslo

Reaction score
My wife seems to think that my love of clothes is somewhat strange and that all (or at least most) of the other men on this board must be gay. It's rather irritating that the modern heterosexual male is not supposed to give a thought to his wardrobe. Fortunately, my wife is good-natured about my interest, although I believe I should be considered normal rather than abberant.

Classic

Reaction score
My wife's shopping habits are responsible for the existence of at least three malls in the area. Thus while I like to shop and do in fact shop more than most men, there is no comparison between my wife's habit and mine. To give you an example, her credit cards are sent via special courier, while mine are sent via regular snail mail. Hers come with transactions quarantees, as she has been known to wear out her credit cards because of being "swiped" so often.
Although I also have a walk in closet, it is in the quest room, and no where near the size of hers.
Still, she enjoys the fact that I take pleasure in dressing well. The only rule she has is that I cannot look as good as her, which if I may say so myself, is an impossiblity as she is quite beautiful, in looks and persona.

Classic

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily, my gf is actually worse than I am with clothes. And after some education by yours truly, she appreciates men's clothing now. Add to the fact that she's the one that bought me my only pair of Lobb's....
blush.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She doesn't ask and I don't volunteer. She considers upscale clothes unnecessary and wasteful ("how many poor children could eat for the price of those shoes"), makes sarcastic comments about snobbery on the few occasions she goes into an "expensive" store, but thinks nothing of costly lasik and cosmetic dental surgery for herself. She physically prevented me from entering Anderson Sheppard in 1987 as she objected to the prices- we had a row right on Savile Row over this. In New York, she goes to a theater matinee and I go to Bergdorfs. Still, we've been together a long time and our daughter (not her appearance or my English shoes) is most important to both of us.
Who wrote this?.

BGW

Reaction score
His wife must have deleted his account.

quill

Reaction score
Several years ago, my wife bought me clothes she thought I would look cool in. I never wore them. My tastes have changed, and now I WOULD wear them, but she gave them away to Goodwill or something. So I am forced to dress like the dullard I am, pocket protectors and all (kidding about the pocket protectors). Anyway, if any of you have picked up some cool clothes at Goodwill, they're mine.
biggrin.gif

NavyStyles

Reaction score
His wife must have deleted his account.
hahaha
biggrin.gif
j, when did guests get the ability to post?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Luckily at this stage in my life I am not married. I mean it's only the middle of the month and I already spent over $2k on clothes (and clothing related items), imagine if I spent that much and was married, my wife would have my head on a pike.

Jon.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Her clothes habit is as bad as mine. Â
biggrin.gif

JohnMS

Reaction score
Gone is my ability to just buy clothing on a whim. In the early part of our marriage, I would come home at least once a week with some "new" purchase. She knew early on that I was picky enough that she couldn't exactly shop for me. Too many factors involved (e.g., bargains).

Now our young children seem to have greater needs than I do at this point. Sometimes I find myself shopping for groceries for the family and being somewhat shocked when our grocery bill comes to $350. Then I pause and think, gee, I spend that on a pair of shoes. Interesting how I won't blink at a $350 shoe, but $350 in groceries will cause me to think.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gone is my ability to just buy clothing on a whim. In the early part of our marriage, I would come home at least once a week with some "new" purchase. She knew early on that I was picky enough that she couldn't exactly shop for me. Too many factors involved (e.g., bargains). Now our young children seem to have greater needs than I do at this point. Sometimes I find myself shopping for groceries for the family and being somewhat shocked when our grocery bill comes to $350. Then I pause and think, gee, I spend that on a pair of shoes. Interesting how I won't blink at a $350 shoe, but $350 in groceries will cause me to think.
Well, the shoes will last longer than the groceries
wink.gif
. Jon.

quill

Reaction score
(JohnMS @ 14 June 2004, 3:20) Gone is my ability to just buy clothing on a whim. Â In the early part of our marriage, I would come home at least once a week with some "new" purchase. Â She knew early on that I was picky enough that she couldn't exactly shop for me. Â Too many factors involved (e.g., bargains). Now our young children seem to have greater needs than I do at this point. Â Sometimes I find myself shopping for groceries for the family and being somewhat shocked when our grocery bill comes to $350. Â Then I pause and think, gee, I spend that on a pair of shoes. Â Interesting how I won't blink at a $350 shoe, but $350 in groceries will cause me to think.
Well, the shoes will last longer than the groceries
wink.gif
. Jon.
A little "sole" food never hurt anybody.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads