• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Sartorial Evolution. Photos encouraged.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
It wasn't too long ago that I didn't really care about clothing that much. For starters, I was pretty young (still am for some members of the fora), still in college, didn't have much money or knowledge of how to dress well. The best dressed person in my life was (and still is) my grandfather, only I never really "got" his style until recently. I worked jobs that required barely more than underwear only until I graduated college. There are myriad of excuses, but I almost feel saddened that I did not dress better from an earlier age. Sartorial Evolution happens for people at different times - mine just happened when I joined the forum. This forum has helped me ignite the sartorial fire that I knew lied somewhere in me, only I didn't really know how to express it, and didn't have the means to "find the goods" that I wanted to wear but could not afford. My Evolution, albeit quite short and abrupt thus far (I have much to learn and many things to try) looks something like this... December 2008
outfitgw9.jpg
Needless to say, this is a horrifying use of a mock turtleneck sweater. The outfit is terrible, and just 3 months ago I thought this was "the ****." Note the lack of pocket square (I didn't own one
blush.gif
). Comments included, but were not limited to: "- the proportions are all wrong? Maybe the angle of shot or if it is your build then you may want to not contrast so much" "drizzt?" January 2009
nyegw1.jpg
Match-matchy square and tie, but other than that a vast improvement over the last image. Comments... "Do you use collar stays? Your collar looks to be out of control." Late Jan/early Feb 2009
wttvf5.jpg
A bit better use of the suit, I think. Comments... "Magnificent suit and tie!" "Great look. like the suit + tie and grateful not to see the "doucals"" February 2009
23wmmoo.jpg
I am becoming more adventurous with colors, textures and am generally more open to try new things. Comments... "Nice texture on the jacket." "Love the tie...." "Wonderful texture going on here. The tie colour is a little too close to the jacket for my taste, but both are great pieces." "The coolest monochrome outfit I've seen in a long time!" And, finally, the most recent - March 2009
2vd34tw.jpg
This is my own personal favorite look of all time for me. I think the colors are flattering, the arrangement is pretty nice, and everything seems to (to my eye) work together. Comments were generally quite positive. Please feel welcome to post your own Sartorial Evolution.
smile.gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that! Congrats on your transformation
bigstar[1].gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I should note that I am wearing the same jacket in the first photo and the "monochrome" photo in Feb 2009. I had that shirt in my closet at the time the first photo was taken... I think this means that my sartorial brain was quite young when I put that coat on with that t-neck.

jcc123

Reaction score
Where did you get the Cucinelli and how much did you pay?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the lapels on that last coat are amazing

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
A thrift store - it was under $10.

bounce2.gif
Boy, I hate you!

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
A thrift store - it was under $10.

WTF?!? Why is it that some people get all the luck? I just found out that 1 person from Jersey won the Mega lottery of $212 mil last night.

Yours is not as great but still. Did you have to alter it?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
the lapels on that last coat are amazing

bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Sebastian
bounce2.gif
Boy, I hate you!

We all get lucky sometimes...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jcc123
WTF?!? Why is it that some people get all the luck? I just found out that 1 person from Jersey won the Mega lottery of $212 mil last night.

Yours is not as great but still. Did you have to alter it?

I altered it for about $75 worth. Don't knock my luck!
wink.gif

jhao

Reaction score
Great idea, i'll be looking for some outfits to post.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123

****! You mean it wasn't me? I bought two quick picks of hope and forgot to check the numbers last night. Guess I don't need to now.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Mr. Moo. In the first picture you could be any bloke, its still better than some people you see out and about but not good.
The final one looks like something I wouldn't be surprised to see in the covers of "Dressing the man" or similar for clean, smart refinement, very impressive.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that last jacket is just really superb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads