• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your robot servant preferences

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158
Robot servants: humanoid or no? Here are your options: Non-humanoid:
R2_D2.jpg
Vaguely humanoid:
johnny5isalive.jpg
Stylized humanoid:
helmetropolis.jpg
Extremely humanoid:
data.jpg
Which one would you rather have waiting in your house when you came home? Personally, I would like to have a robot dog that could talk:
_39912098_k9_bbc.jpg
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158
Originally Posted by whodini
Where's the "I wouldn't mind some of Doc's stash" poll option?

These are serious issues that we must confront before they bear down upon us. Won't be long before electronic Rosies are sitting next to the plasma TVs at Best Buy. Let us make our decisions now, before they are made for us.

Also, I was listening to a radio report about a study on the topic. It found most people were uncomfortable with robots that look too humanoid. At the same time, robot owners would become attached to their robots, and found it difficult to give them up even when they broke down.
 

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,630
Reaction score
5
I find the vaguely humanoid robot the creepiest. I would probably either want a weird critter (a robot panda?) or hot humanoid (cylon?) robot. On that note, here's a strange article I read a couple months ago in Scientific American: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...arrying-robots I don't think it's necessarily off-topic, as if you're dealing with servant robots it's hard to ignore the strange, lonely people and the uses they would find for these robots.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158
Originally Posted by jonglover
I find the vaguely humanoid robot the creepiest.

I would probably either want a weird critter (a robot panda?) or hot humanoid (cylon?) robot.


The robot panda made me think of Muffy from the original Battlestar:

muffy.jpg


I don't think I'd like a robot that was too human, especially if it stared at me like a glassy-eyed zombie. And if seemed "real," that might be even creepier. I like my robots to know their place.

Originally Posted by jonglover
I don't think it's necessarily off-topic, as if you're dealing with servant robots it's hard to ignore the strange, lonely people and the uses they would find for these robots.

Any robot-related topic is fair game in this thread, as far as I'm concerned. But that article is another argument for why extremely humanoid robots are creepy. You know enterprising perverts will be building robotic furries as soon as kits are available at their nearest Radio Shack.
 

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
17,950
Reaction score
190
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
These are serious issues that we must confront before they bear down upon us. Won't be long before electronic Rosies are sitting next to the plasma TVs at Best Buy. Let us make our decisions now, before they are made for us.
I'm not a big city attorney but allow me to break things down by citing legal decisions.

These "issues" were met and "decisions" were made back in the 1970s. May I remind you of the class-action suit of Vactioners v. Westworld.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Also, I was listening to a radio report about a study on the topic. It found most people were uncomfortable with robots that look too humanoid. At the same time, robot owners would become attached to their robots, and found it difficult to give them up even when they broke down.
Please refer to the landmark case of Mankind v. Stepford Wives.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm not a big city attorney but allow me to break things down by citing legal decisions.

These "issues" were met and "decisions" were made back in the 1970s. May I remind you of the class-action suit of Vactioners v. Westworld.


Yes, but in those days there were only steampunk robots:

stwalker2.jpg


As such, I imagine the issues will have to be revisited, and, I would imagine, the verdicts will be overturned. Brave new world, and all that.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158
Originally Posted by whodini
There was nothing steampunk about those robots. Yul Brenner would take personal offense to that I'm sure.

Sadly, you have me there. Some might even argue that the '70s were a golden age for robots, having given us both C3P0 and Mechagodzilla:

mechagodzilla.jpg


However, the fact remains that your court rulings are outdated. Might as well try to settle Internet disputes by citing laws about telegraphs. Let us not cling to the past but march bravely into the future, or be carried there by our robot minions.
 

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
17,950
Reaction score
190
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
However, the fact remains that your court rulings are outdated. Might as well try to settle Internet disputes by citing laws about telegraphs. Let us not cling to the past but march bravely into the future, or be carried there by our robot minions.

I beg to differ.
stepford_wives.jpg


and: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/

Wasn't there also that God-awful Spielberg film, too?
 

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
4,455
Reaction score
26
I've always liked the "Metropolis"look. Human enough to be useful but not a simulacrum.
 

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
8,395
Reaction score
1,726
I'm less likely to develop an emotional attachment to a non-humanoid robot, so there goes my vote.
 

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,630
Reaction score
5
Grandaddy's Jed the Humanoid songs always get to me. Also, Salo in Sirens of Titan.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,158

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 35 16.8%

Forum statistics

Threads
506,120
Messages
10,586,493
Members
224,116
Latest member
Pumpburn
Top