• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Professional Dress Code

ROT

Reaction score
I'm just curious, with so many making the effort to look good, how many Forum participants are required to wear "classic" business wear to the office? And what sort of office is it?

I'm in advertising and marketing. There are four of us and the boss hates ties, suits, etc. So pretty much anything goes (yes... yikes.). I try to stick to business casual, nice trousers, sweaters, dress shirts, sportcoats, and the like. The rare suit at a Chamber of Commerce event. I miss the suit and tie days of the 80s.

InfiniteSpree

Reaction score
I work in fashion PR, so pretty much anything goes. We're encouraged to express our creativity through our clothing. Since it's a denim-centric company, the only rule is that we wear denim that is our brand.

P.S. the casual dress environment was a large factor in my accepting a position at the company

Ryan

houston

Reaction score
I work on capitol hill, which will probably be the last place to go business casual (although we do go casual when congress is in recess).

jester

Reaction score
I work for a large publishing company. The general dress is jeans and polo shirts, even for the top executives. I wear a suit every day (OK, usually some tweed jacket and tie combo if the weather's bad), because it's the right thing to do.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work for a smallish publishing company, and many of the men dress in a manner appropriate for working on a roofing crew--sweat-stained T-shirts are not uncommon
mad.gif
In fact, much of my current enthusiasm/obsession over clothing stems from a revulsion at the squalid standards of attire of most of my male colleagues.

JLA

Reaction score
I work for a large aerospace corp. Anything goes, usually ripped dockers and a worn out polo shirt.
I wear your basic dress shirt and tie. My nickname is "the suit". Concerning work clothes, most of these people here are lazy slobs...

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
As an underemployed writer, I tend to go out of my way to dress in a suit, or at least a jacket and trousers when meeting with clients, editors, colleagues. I figure that if I look respectable and confident, I'm in a better position to pitch and win jobs. (This tactic recently backfired, when a potential employer thought I was "too serious" and didn't hire me, but it has been the exception to the rule.) At home, or days when I'm stuck in the library, I'll generally wear business casual. You never know who you might run into on the streets.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my investment banking entity the minimum dress attire is business casual with the objective of moving the dress standard higher to suit, tie and dress lace shoes. Loafers including tassel loafers which I would prefer to wear unfortunately in imho sends the wrong message.

gregory

Reaction score
Loafers including tassel loafers which I would prefer to wear unfortunately in imho sends the wrong message.
I would appreciate it if you could explain what message do tassel loafers send. Thanks.

arvi

Reaction score
i work at an investment bank that tried business casual for a few years..after seeing the plethora of creased Docker chinos and old,ratty golf club insignia polos we returned to regular business attire except for fridays..i wear suit and tie or sport jacket and tie..all with my own italianiate style..the rest of the clothing philistines still don't understand my way of dress and think me a little "out there" because i don't wear buttondowns from Lands End(no offense meant) open at the neck with a tie pulled down

gregory

Reaction score
i work at an investment bank that tried business casual for a few years..after seeing the plethora of creased Docker chinos and old,ratty golf club insignia polos we returned to regular business attire except for fridays..i wear suit and tie or sport jacket and tie..all with my own italianiate style..the rest of the clothing philistines still don't understand my way of dress and think me a little "out there" because  i don't wear buttondowns from Lands End(no offense meant) open at the neck with a tie pulled down
Are you working in the front office (M&A / SLF front office), because your comments are quite surprising to me who have always thought very highly of how bankers dressed. I work in a backoffice department, dreaming constantly of being in the front office
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Academia, and until recently, dabbled in the fashion world. In academia, you can wear a suit (although unless you are admin, support staff, or older tenured faculty, you would be considered an eccentric in that respect). In fashion, everything goes, but the general look is (perhaps surprisingly) casual, often bordering on bizarre, with by choice suit wearers in the minority.

arvi

Reaction score
[Are you working in the front office (M&A / SLF front office), because your comments are quite surprising to me who have always thought very highly of how bankers dressed.
i would say front office..but in sales and trading we're a lot different from the bankers (who for the most part dress very conservatively )

johnw86

Reaction score
Also academia--I've worn mostly suits since I was a young, untenured faculty member; I'm now old enough (and have done enough administrative work) that I no longer am considered quite so strange. My colleagues go for jeans and khakis; I have one female colleague who wears only coveralls, another who wears onlyhooded sweatshirts...we could use a dress code.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads