1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Your Professional Dress Code

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ROT, Oct 26, 2004.

1. ROT

ROT Senior Member

I'm just curious, with so many making the effort to look good, how many Forum participants are required to wear "classic" business wear to the office? And what sort of office is it?

I'm in advertising and marketing. There are four of us and the boss hates ties, suits, etc. So pretty much anything goes (yes... yikes.). I try to stick to business casual, nice trousers, sweaters, dress shirts, sportcoats, and the like. The rare suit at a Chamber of Commerce event. I miss the suit and tie days of the 80s.

2. InfiniteSpree

InfiniteSpree Member

I work in fashion PR, so pretty much anything goes. We're encouraged to express our creativity through our clothing. Since it's a denim-centric company, the only rule is that we wear denim that is our brand.

P.S. the casual dress environment was a large factor in my accepting a position at the company

Ryan

3. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I wear suits by choice. Tweed or cottons & linen in the country, worsted in the city, and dinner clothes as often as possible.

Will

4. houston

houston Well-Known Member

I work on capitol hill, which will probably be the last place to go business casual (although we do go casual when congress is in recess).

5. jester

jester Senior Member

I work for a large publishing company. The general dress is jeans and polo shirts, even for the top executives. I wear a suit every day (OK, usually some tweed jacket and tie combo if the weather's bad), because it's the right thing to do.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I work for a smallish publishing company, and many of the men dress in a manner appropriate for working on a roofing crew--sweat-stained T-shirts are not uncommon [​IMG] In fact, much of my current enthusiasm/obsession over clothing stems from a revulsion at the squalid standards of attire of most of my male colleagues.

7. JLA

JLA Active Member

I work for a large aerospace corp. Anything goes, usually ripped dockers and a worn out polo shirt.
    I wear your basic dress shirt and tie. My nickname is "the suit". Concerning work clothes, most of these people here are lazy slobs...

8. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

As an underemployed writer, I tend to go out of my way to dress in a suit, or at least a jacket and trousers when meeting with clients, editors, colleagues. I figure that if I look respectable and confident, I'm in a better position to pitch and win jobs. (This tactic recently backfired, when a potential employer thought I was "too serious" and didn't hire me, but it has been the exception to the rule.) At home, or days when I'm stuck in the library, I'll generally wear business casual. You never know who you might run into on the streets.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

In my investment banking entity the minimum dress attire is business casual with the objective of moving the dress standard higher to suit, tie and dress lace shoes. Loafers including tassel loafers which I would prefer to wear unfortunately in imho sends the wrong message.

10. gregory

gregory Senior Member

I would appreciate it if you could explain what message do tassel loafers send. Thanks.

11. arvi

arvi Senior Member

i work at an investment bank that tried business casual for a few years..after seeing the plethora of creased Docker chinos and old,ratty golf club insignia polos we returned to regular business attire except for fridays..i wear suit and tie or sport jacket and tie..all with my own italianiate style..the rest of the clothing philistines still don't understand my way of dress and think me a little "out there" because i don't wear buttondowns from Lands End(no offense meant) open at the neck with a tie pulled down

12. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Are you working in the front office (M&A / SLF front office), because your comments are quite surprising to me who have always thought very highly of how bankers dressed. I work in a backoffice department, dreaming constantly of being in the front office [​IMG]

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Academia, and until recently, dabbled in the fashion world. In academia, you can wear a suit (although unless you are admin, support staff, or older tenured faculty, you would be considered an eccentric in that respect). In fashion, everything goes, but the general look is (perhaps surprisingly) casual, often bordering on bizarre, with by choice suit wearers in the minority.

14. arvi

arvi Senior Member

i would say front office..but in sales and trading we're a lot different from the bankers (who for the most part dress very conservatively )

15. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

Also academia--I've worn mostly suits since I was a young, untenured faculty member; I'm now old enough (and have done enough administrative work) that I no longer am considered quite so strange. My colleagues go for jeans and khakis; I have one female colleague who wears only coveralls, another who wears onlyhooded sweatshirts...we could use a dress code. [​IMG]