• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Opinions and advice...

Remember

Reaction score
Im feeling like treating myself, and my wardobe is still university-ish. Im not in a industry that requires suits, and Ive already got one that works for my formal occasions. Ive got nice shoes, and some nice jeans (Rock And Republic), but I would like to up my wardrobe. Besides what Ive said before, Ive got a nice hugo boss cashmere sweater, and a couple RL custom fit Polo shirts for casual wear.

I'm wondering what people would suggest for my next purchases? I was thinking either a really nice new black leather jacket, something from aquascutum (though either of these alone would drain my budget). Or, I could get a variety of new pieces of clothing, but I have no idea where to start. Any thing I should definatly buy? Should avoid?

Thanks!

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should 'definatly' buy: a clue
Should avoid: this forum

Thanks!

Remember

Reaction score
Douche.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Leather jacket's always a good investment... provided you actually invest in it. Check out Schott, Vanson, or Aero. Expensive, but well worth it quality-wise.

FYI, careful about the four-letter words. Hugo Boss tends to rile folks up on SF. I personally don't write them off completely, but that's only because the few purchases I've made have not been complete disappointments (I know, not a ringing endorsement, but it's all the endorsement I'm prepared to give). There's better stuff out there at HB price points.

What about a watch? Couple years back, I treated myself to a decent one, and I have the urge to do so again (and I'm thinkin'... Stowa).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want leather jacket, go for brown, more versatile, black is sharp, but it's more limited. Not sure how you dress, but a sports coat for a night out might be nice. Depends on what's your budget these things can go from couple hundred to couple thousand.

Military cardigan jacket or peacoat is also something that came to my mind right away. What's your body build, do you like something really fitted?

P.S. I wouldn't write off Hugo Boss either, they can look sharp, and not such a bad buy when there is discount

Remember

Reaction score
My only Hugo Boss piece is one I absolutly adore. I prefer a slim fit, I have a slim athletic body, and I like to use it to my benefit. A watch is an interesting piece; but not something I can see myself spending big money on. I'm just trying to decide between one big investment piece (the leather jacket, a slim fit trench coat, maybe a military-esque jacket) Or a multitude of little pieces...

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch for sure. Stowa was a good recommendation.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's end of season. You've got a WTB overcoat in your sig. How about an overcoat that is likely on sale?

What's wrong with the watch suggestion? Unless you don't wear one ?

For pants you only mention jeans. You could branch out.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
And if you're after a bag, Filson are fantastic. They can be had from Crane's at pretty spiffy prices.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't have one you should get a decent quality sports coat or blazer, ideally something versatile that you can wear with your jeans or to smarter stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads