1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david135, May 13, 2005.

1. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I would think a top to bottom classic look would, in fact, be quite revolutionary at most proms.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

hm, i am pretty sure i do not have any pictures of myself at the prom. there are some dorky pictures of me though. i'll have to agree that adolescence is the time of experimentation. do what works within the context of your peer group, not some imagined context of the eyes of the future. by the time your kids see the picture, you'll be a world leader or captain of industry, so noone will think less of you for looking like a dork way back then. hell, bill gates still looks like a dork. but within his circle of nerds back in the 70's, he was the alpha geek. so, like i said, if in your social context the chuck taylors make the right statement, i say rock 'em. here's a radical scenario though: what if you wore jeans instead of tux pants? man would that raise some hackles or what. cuffed jeans and some low-top converse like james dean wore...(see the current issue of Vitals.) ...i dunno, maybe it would only work if you were a greaser to begin with, like arthur fonzerelli.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If you want to be radical, and traditional at the same time source out a vintage Yves Saint Laurent Le Smoking tuxedo.

4. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

And how. [​IMG] Faustian, is that you in your avatar? Anyone ever tell you that you look like Gordon Freeman? Original poster, I say wear whatever the hell you want - pending the approval of your date, I guess. You may as well have some fun and wear what you're comfortable in.

5. faustian bargain

oh my god. [​IMG] ... yes that's me. and no, i'm afraid i don't even know who gordon freeman is. well at least it's not MORGAN freeman. <going to google> /andrew

6. faustian bargain

oh. i didn't know they were naming half-life characters now. it DOES sortof look like me, at least when i was wearing those big black frames. [​IMG]

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Haha. I couldn't stop laughing at that pic. Hey david, maybe you should dress up as Gordon Freeman -- with the environment suit.

8. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

[​IMG]

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That would be truly cool.

10. faustian bargain

(LabelKing @ May 15 2005,22:52) If you want to be radical, and traditional at the same time source out a vintage Yves Saint Laurent Le Smoking tuxedo.
    could someone post a picture? i tried googling, and didn't find any images. plus, all the references to it that i found said that it was designed for women. /andrew

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Originally Posted by LA Guy,May 18 2005,11:43
    If you want to be radical, and traditional at the same time source out a vintage Yves Saint Laurent Le Smoking tuxedo.

could someone post a picture? i tried googling, and didn't find any images. plus, all the references to it that i found said that it was designed for women. /andrew
    Hence the radicalism. [​IMG] By Helmut Newton

12. faustian bargain

ok, i see it now. not bad... i guess if you look like david bowie, that'd be a good outfit to wear. if you look like...uhhh, me, say...i would pick something else. maybe more along the lines of Meatloaf's frilly tux shirt. total rock opera style. but you have to bring special effects with you wherever you go, like dry ice fog and laser lights. [​IMG]