• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinion on J. Crew

Reaction score
What is the general opinion among forum members on J.Crew? Do you think highly of them, are their offerings okay, or do you simply find most or all of their offerings to be distasteful? Thanks!

Duveen

Reaction score
A watered down RL Blue Label/mainline. Nice preppy looks, quality OK but not amazing. Used to be a staple for me.

Now I look there only once in a while, and even their sale stuff is usually not cheap enough to make it worthwhile for me. The styling is seldom 'just right' and that has, increasingly, been the watchword for me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good deals during sales, especially on cords and other trousers. Some nice accessories. Shirts cut too short -- won't stay tucked in. I won't buy them even marked down to $20.

J. Crew is nice in that it makes clothes that might be seen as stodgy elsewhere seem fashionable.

alflauren

Reaction score
Great cashmere sweaters! (when they're on sale)

And very comfortable colored t-shirts that I wear all of the time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I wouldnt ever buy J Crew at full price but when they are having clearance/end of season sales, there can be some good bargains that are worth it. One of my favorite dress shirts is from J Crew, lite pink with blue check...it is from their "slimfit" line, has MoP buttons, french cuffs and overall fits me perfect. Imo a good buy at $35. They also have a good argyle sock selection. I have never seen denim or suits/sportjackets that I would ever buy from there tho.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing the preppy crazy color thing to the fullest, which I enjoy.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think J.Crew is good for casual clothes that are a little more interesting than the bare basics. They have good colors, decent cuts and middling material. For example, I have a lambswool sweater which I got as a Christmas (2005) gift. Cut and color are great; I love the sweater. But it's pilling so bad I can't imagine it lasting through next winter.

There prices have been creeping up a little recently, and the sales aren't as good as they once were. The company is in better shape, I guess. Still, miles ahead of the Gap and Banana Republic these days. The socks though: look great, feel terrible.

aarghh

Reaction score
The sweaters from J. Crew are pretty good options to add color to your wardrobe - those in lambswool go on sale for about $15 sometimes. I've had a pilling problem as well, but a couple of washes ( rather than dry cleaning) with Woolite seems to have reduced the pilling as well as softening the wool slightly.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Doing the preppy crazy color thing to the fullest, which I enjoy.

Indeed!
smile.gif

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your input.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
J. Crew has gone slightly more upscale in the last year or two under new CEO Millard Drexler (formerly of Gap). Probably 75% of my nicer clothes are J. Crew, they're a good fit for American-sized guys, not so great for super-skinny guys.

The shirts used to be very boxy in the shoulders but they have slimmed down quite a bit recently.

J. Crew factory outlets used to be a goldmine but those have dried up lately. J. Crew has been more successful at selling stuff at full price and never having to put it on sale. Previously you knew just about everything would go on sale sooner or later (and plenty of sizes available too).

No labels is a big plus for me. Polo is too gaudy, and everything from BR looks very "you got that at BR, right?". J. Crew is kinda anonymous, easier to mix and match.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aarghh
The sweaters from J. Crew are pretty good options to add color to your wardrobe - those in lambswool go on sale for about $15 sometimes. I've had a pilling problem as well, but a couple of washes ( rather than dry cleaning) with Woolite seems to have reduced the pilling as well as softening the wool slightly.

Speaking of inexpensive sweaters, Banana Republic is clearancing out their spring sweaters. I just picked up a lightweight cotton V-neck, in white, for $16.99. I'll pair it with my white linen pants and a collared shirt for a retro, day-at-the-club vibe.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if i may ask, i've been looking at j crew's site, as well as land's end's. how do land's end products hold up to j crew? are they practically the same?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
if i may ask, i've been looking at j crew's site, as well as land's end's. how do land's end products hold up to j crew? are they practically the same?

Lands' End is as good or better than J. Crew quality-wise, but the styles and colors are very suburban, anti-fashion. But with staples like white dress shirts and khakis in neutral colors Lands' End is fine. They do have a moderate-priced custom shirt program, but haven't tried it yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads