• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Opinion on cardigan

Benzito

Reaction score
I think it looks okay and it performs a function (keeping you warm), but those buttons are meh.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested as well. I wore a cardigan for the first time in my life a couple of days ago. A picture's below. Does it make me look old/gay/fat or should I keep this look? I'm still undecided.

61430119.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Great outfit overall.

Will C.

Reaction score
screenshot20101107at140.png
I loathe that shirt-style collar! Cardigans should be shawl-collared or uncollared - shawl is best.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'm interested as well. I wore a cardigan for the first time in my life a couple of days ago. A picture's below. Does it make me look old/gay/fat or should I keep this look? I'm still undecided.

61430119.jpg

This will be controversial, but you asked a question that too few people ask (in a mature way) and the answer is important. Yes, it would make some individuals question your sexuality. It's not due to any one item. It's the fit of everything, the cardigan, the shirt, the socks, the belt, the glasses, the hairstyle, age, body type.... (Rachel Zoe's gay assistant Brad dresses like that.) A less colorful cardigan would make the perception less likely. By the way, on aesthetics alone, it's a good look, except that the belt should be a neutral and the socks not striped.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
This will be controversial, but you asked a question that too few people ask (in a mature way) and the answer is important. Yes, it would make some individuals question your sexuality. It's not due to any one item. It's the fit of everything, the cardigan, the shirt, the socks, the belt, the glasses, the hairstyle, age, body type.... (Rachel Zoe's gay assistant Brad dresses like that.) A less colorful cardigan would make the perception less likely. By the way, on aesthetics alone, it's a good look, except that the belt should be a neutral and the socks not striped.

Does it make it worse that I live in Los Angeles?
laugh.gif

But thanks for the honest answer. It may or may not affect the way I dress, but I'll definitely take it into consideration. I rarely dress that flamboyant though. Just felt like having some fun that night.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably safer to wear in LA than in many other places.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Maybe I'm way off base, but I find them either to fall into two categories: Old Man &
smack.gif

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good look, if a bit straight out of a fashion magazine lookish. But I don't like the form fitting sweater look. It's a fine line with me since I am a slim guy, so I am careful not to look like I am wearing a baggy sweater as well. I just think sweaters should look comfortable as well as feeling comfortable, so when your buttons look like they are going to burst and your arms look painted on, I think its a bit contrived.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant

I actually wanted to ask one more thing, since you gave your opinion. I understand why the belt could look better if it was neutral, although that's not the look I was going for. But why are striped socks bad in this fit?

Hadrian

Reaction score
As an additional layer underneath a sportcoat they look great, IMO.

caldervale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hadrian
As an additional layer underneath a sportcoat they look great, IMO.

+1

Nice casual alternative to a v-neck under an odd jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads