• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinion of narrow ties

TrulySnob

Reaction score
Hi;

I would like to know your thoughts on narrow ties.

For " poppies" ( pop fans), Makes more stylish if you are tall?

Just another stupid thing for fashionvictims?

Them would be outdated in 1 or two seasons.....

Or nice?

Thanks

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outdated? They come and go... for me their heyday was the late 70's early 80's... when I wore my dad's skinny ties from the early 60's.

Where it well with confidence and anything can work.

I still where one of those 60's ties on occasion, especially with a light gray 3-piece and tv fold... rather James Bond-ish....

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Prepare for the deluge. Drake's went to 8cm for fall, with a few as thin as 7cm, compared to 9cm (3 1/2") this past spring.

8cm is less than 3 1/4" and 7 cm is less than 3". I have a drawer full of 2 7/8" neckties from the 70's that I guess I need to look through.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me (and I might be wrong) that skinny ties have been 'in' more than they've been 'out'. Looking at menswear going back to the beginning of the last century, wide ties (of the type favoured by this forum in general) seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
I wear ties ranging from 2.25" - 3.25" For me it really comes down to proportions and the fact that I think they look better. I am shorter and skinnier than most so they suit me well. I also keep things in proportion with narrower lapels, shorter collars, shorter suits, etc. I like the look even when It goes out of vougue it'll still be my style

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
For me it really comes down to proportions... I also keep things in proportion with narrower lapels, shorter collars, shorter suits, etc....

Same here.

TrulySnob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
I wear ties ranging from 2.25" - 3.25" For me it really comes down to proportions and the fact that I think they look better. I am shorter and skinnier than most so they suit me well. I also keep things in proportion with narrower lapels, shorter collars, shorter suits, etc. I like the look even when It goes out of vougue it'll still be my style
I´m 1,90 75 kilos So I´m tall and skinny. I like them, in fact the one I love but still don´t have it is the one inch Reservoir Dogs one and D & G has it in all their catalogue and web I´m gonna incluide a Paul Smith´s medium ones that look very well on a model who seems cloned from me, for your opinion. The suit is thin, kind of Corneliani ones I wear all the time, that´s my look The " bad" thing on it is that here only gayers wear them by night for clubbing, not usual young bankers,pressionales as me ,etc...( With all my respect to gay people)

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan. I like the ties that have been in for the last 10 years or so, at least as far as width. I'm glad most of them aren't as bulky as the 70s ties; this makes it much easier to tie a nice knot.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3" or wider and you're still looking professional, but contemporary. Any narrow than that and you're getting into a fashion statement item which, as far as I'm concerned, only looks good on really pale super-skinny teenagers.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I am relatively slim, about 5'8", 150lbs. But I will only go as narrow as 3". Though most of my ties are at least 3.75". For square end knit ties, 2.5" is the narrowest I can go. Any narrower or wider would look weird.

TrulySnob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
3" or wider and you're still looking professional, but contemporary. Any narrow than that and you're getting into a fashion statement item which, as far as I'm concerned, only looks good on really pale super-skinny teenagers.

Nice, that was my point. Teenagers or unprofessionals.

but on this pictures ( well, I already know those brands are not very " pro" but for media guys. They look very nice http://www.dolcegabbana.it/dg/ and http://www.giorgioarmani.com/index.j...f&audio=acceso press runaway and the 6 th picture guy, a B/W picture with narrow tie, 1950´s style and shirt with taller collar. very noire cinema one, impressive!! Very Glenn Ford´ish!!!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love 'em. I'm admittedly a teenager, but I interned on a political campaign last summer and am trying for a law firm this year. I think that with the right shirt, jacket, body type, they can look almost tradly. FWIW, my narrowest woven tis are 3" BB Made in Englands that I inherited. I go to about 2.75" for knits, but anything thinner just looks cartoonish.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Since the 50's, ties have been narrow, wide, narrow, etc - I don't know how times the fashion has changed. If you buy mid-width ties, you will never be far out of fashion, assuming you care about fashion, and more importantly always look right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads