• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your only watch, $5000 budget

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you get? (No limitation on legal purchasing methods: white or gray market, vintage, etc.)

Montesquieu

Reaction score
In case your budget is slightly flexible, I'd suggest the JLC Reverso Grande GMT. It retails for over $12k, but I've seen several new over the years in the $6k range on eBay. That's where I purchased mine new for $6250 from a reputable but non-JLC-authorized store-based retailer.

This watch got my nod because of the double time zone functionality (I travel a lot), novelty of great watch faces on both sides, and beauty of the silver face. That said, I like this watch far more with long-sleeved shirts than short-sleeved. For the latter, I prefer round a watch face.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
Glashutte Senator or Sport Evolution, depending on whether you are looking for something more dressy or more sporty.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
In case your budget is slightly flexible, I'd suggest the JLC Reverso Grande GMT. It retails for over $12k, but I've seen several new over the years in the $6k range on eBay. That's where I purchased mine new for $6250 from a reputable but non-JLC-authorized store-based retailer.

This watch got my nod because of the double time zone functionality (I travel a lot), novelty of great watch faces on both sides, and beauty of the silver face. That said, I like this watch far more with long-sleeved shirts than short-sleeved. For the latter, I prefer round a watch face.

which jlc reverso did you get and who on ebay sells it for 6k?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in gently used original owner watches -- let someone else take the big depreciation hit.

For $5,000 I'd buy two watches:

1. Omega Seamaster Professional -- easy to find for $1,000. This would be my casual everyday watch.

2. An 18k gold manual wind watch on a strap -- this would be my suit and tie dress watch. Many choices in the $4,000 range including IWC, Cartier, JLC, Zenith, Girard-Perregaux, etc. Get whatever sings to you.

Hope this helps,
Twotone

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- Rolex Stainless Steel Datejust
- Ulysse Nardin 1846 Marine Chronometer
- IWC 3706 Pilot Chronograph or 3717 Port
- Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso

Pick any of the above

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Yeah, if I were starting over I'd have an Omega PO Chrono (all in black, no orange numbers or bezel for me), and an IWC Portuguese Panda. I love my current watches (Omega Broad Arrow Speedmaster, Omega Aqua Terra, IWC GST chrono, Sinn 142 and a Sinn 956 with cream face) but have more than I really need and for a lower overall cost, these two would serve all my needs (sporty and dressy).

If I could only have one of the two (remembering the $5K limit)...I don't know, I'd likely start with the Omega PO chrono because it is such a solid sporty watch you can wear it for almost any activity. But that IWC is such an eye catcher. Ah well, I'd save another $5K and get the other one as soon as I could.

Originally Posted by spertia
IWC Portuguese chrono?

Invicta

Reaction score
JLC Master Control Ultra Thin:
jaeger-lecoultre-master-control-ultra-thin-original-white-gold.jpg

Or Glashutte Original Senator:
100-08-03-02-04b_main.jpg

Mathew J

Reaction score
5k, one watch and only one watch....either a new style cal 8500 aqua terra or an hour vision, JLC is also a good choice but service costs are ouch...if you want something sporty then save some bucks and get either a speedy moon or a planet ocean. Good luck

Rolex is also a good choice but you're gonna have to go grey or used for 5k at this point.

Eagle

Reaction score
I would purchase a Timex Easy Reader. It keeps time as accurately as anything mentioned above and I could put the remaining $4970 in the bank!
blush.gif

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true that the Timex keeps time better than any automatic watch, just like it's true that crocs will keep your feet covered and protected as well as a John Lobb shoe. You can wear 'em to the beach as well...enjoy!

Originally Posted by Eagle
I would purchase a Timex Easy Reader. It keeps time as accurately as anything mentioned above and I could put the remaining $4970 in the bank!
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads