Your Oldest Long Ties in Your Rotation?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Jan 26, 2013.

How old are the oldest long ties you wear monthly or more often?

1. <2 years old

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 2-4 years old

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 5-7 years old

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. >7 years old

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. Don't remember their age [but please select another choice with a guess if possible]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

How old are the oldest long ties (not bow ties) in your rotation? That means worn roughly monthly or more often. To keep the results pure, please don't vote if you only began wearing ties as an adult within the past 5 years.

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

More votes, please. This is a quasi-scientific attempt to discover whether most men treat ties as disposable. (Of course this isn't a representative sample, i.e., some people who love buying apparel might look for excuses to replace items.)

3. Flake

Flake Senior member

I have a few Robert Talbott and brooks bros ties that I have had for 25+ years and look perfect with today's fashion

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

A few of my oldest Hobers are around 6 years old and will hopefully last many more years. Good ties may not last for quite a lifetime absent a fair amount of luck, but there's no reason to throw out a great tie that is serving you admirably.

5. RandyE

RandyE Member

I have three Robert Talbotts that I've had for a long time and wear carefully (I have one on today incidentally), but more common quality ties I don't fret over that much when they begin to show wear. That said, I don't consider any tie as a disposable item - I treat them all with care and try to keep them in good order regardless, and when I choose new ties I almost always select the more timeless styles so that, like my Talbotts, they will meet their end due to wear rather than shifts in fashion...

- Randy

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

My ties span the range of 2 years old to over 40 years old. I have 200 ties at the least and I am admittedly sick. With this many I can not give an accurate rate of rotation but at least once per year per tie would be about right.