• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most recent awkward moment

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel free to share your own stories about anything akward that happened to you. Random akward stuff seems to happen to me alot.

Here's mine:

I was walking through the mall with a friend who works at the mall, on the way to grab some lunch from a food-court. As part of a Christmas promotion, the mall had lots of "living statues" that day (people paid to just stand still and look like mannequins.) While heading through the mall I walked past a MAC cosmetics store, and spotted a guy with no shirt on and giant writing across his chest saying something. My first reaction was, "who would do that for money..."

As I walked a little closer, I saw his face, and to my surprise, he was a mutual acquaintance of ours we hadn't seen in about a year. The guy was always so buttoned down and conservative, this shocked me, and I had an overwhelming sense of WTF??? He couldn't move, but he looked at me almost like he wanted to acknowledge me, and almost like he was kinda embarrassed, because our friends would really bug him for that. At first I didn't recognize him, and when I did, I was so weirded out, I just gave a head-nod "hi" and kept walking. On the way back, I felt a great sense of relief that he wasn't still standing there in the window.

It was akward... like something from superbad.
blush.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the most awkward thing in recent memory-

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=34136

We also ran a paramedic call about a month ago for one of my classmates who broke her leg, the look on her face when I came through the door with the EMT bags was priceless
tounge.gif

JB

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting stuck in the turn-style (my painting was trapped) on the subway in NY. Pretty damn embarrassing.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember I was walking along across the street from this hot girl I was checking out and she was smiling back at me when I ran into a pole.

Seriously thought this kinda stuff only happened in movies.

KBW

Reaction score
I had a Gala for the local art council at the loft I just finished and I look up and my ex-gf walks in. I dated her for years and she still wants to get married and I for some reason really get nervous around her wondering what she is going to do.

Roland Loden of Germany

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I had an awkward moment at the cafe as an aged gentleman thought he identified me from Kusel his home village in Saarland. I tried to explain that my accent would not place me in such a region which he took as an insult to his provincial upbringing.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I remember I was walking along across the street from this hot girl I was checking out and she was smiling back at me when I ran into a pole.

Seriously thought this kinda stuff only happened in movies.

LOL... I feel your pain.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last week at the office christmas party ... having a chat with a woman and introducing myself "hi i'm ..." and her saying "yes I know, we had that meeting the other day" ... she's the gm of my company
blush.gif
... way to make an impression!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Last week at the office christmas party ... having a chat with a woman and introducing myself "hi i'm ..." and her saying "yes I know, we had that meeting the other day" ... she's the gm of my company
blush.gif
... way to make an impression!

I was at a trunk show recently, some guy came up to me saying how he was hadn't seen me in a long time. I have a crappy memory, and pretended to remember him. After about 2 minutes of "catching up" with him, he asked "how's your brother doing in law school?"... I don't have a brother. I told him that and we both realized we didn't know each other. I think he probably wondered why I pretended to know him as we stood in line beside each other waiting to get measured. LOOOOOONG akward silence
blush.gif

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
part 1 not long ago, i bumped into my boss at the grocery store. it was an awkward moment, mainly because he fired me from my last job. it was one of those moments where you pretend to be nice to each other while you keep telling yourself not to bring up work, even though that's impossible because that's literally the only thing you two have in common. first word out of my mouth: "so ivan, how's work?!" he was always the passive aggressive type. he was a quiet guy who didn't speak much, and violently betrayed the social skills expected from a manager. because he was a man of few words, you never knew what he was thinking until you were either called into a meeting or received a company letter. quiet people are creepy because they are always brooding over how to lash out. "oh, um, uh...i'm looking for water" if there was a cat nearby and it was invisible, it had clearly caught his tongue. to make a 20 page story short, i offered to go grocery shopping with him. he stood his ground and did not follow my lead, and to save you another 10 pages, i stopped by my bank several streets down and as i walked out to my car afterwards, out of the corner of my eye i caught a glimpse of my boss walking out of the Rite Aid next door. with a grocery cart full of bottled water. not one to be shy, i hollered at my old friend, "hey ivan! weren't you at vons like 10 minutes ago?" like a rubberband, my boss turned his towards my general direction and immediately his head snapped back to his cart. did he actually not think i noticed him seeing me?
rubberband.jpg

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
part 2 i recently started working at this new company. one of my first tasks was to call a list of employees to update their passwords. halfway down the list, i come across an ivan. i was immediately reminded of my old boss, but mainly because this ivan had the same middle and last name. if there was a cat nearby and it was curious and invisible, it had clearly just died because when i looked up this ivan in the company's online employee database, right smack in the middle of the page was my old boss's mug. he had that same creepy emotionless glazed look on his face. i also had my coworker call ivan for me. luckily (or unluckily), ivan was working in a different department. things became surreal though a few days later when i came in for work an hour early. i was talking to my boss about tps reports or some ****, and at the climax of our conversation, the door behind opened and our new third body walked into the room like a centipede with 98 missing legs. out of the corner of my eye, i notice it was my rite-aid shopping boss...settling himself at apparently his new desk...just right behind us. did he actually not think i noticed him seeing me? of course, it was only a matter of time before we bumped into each other in the building, and we did twice. quite frankly, i'm tired of typing now but i can assure you they were exceedingly awkward moments. most satisfying though is how we both pretended to be surprised to see each other for the first time in the buildling even though we both knew the other knew of each other in the building. actually, the most satisfying is the fact that i make more money than my old boss now an, and i suppose it's an auxiliary satisfaction as well that my old boss is no longer a boss and makes less money than before. a little homework suggests foul play at our old workplace. karma, anyone?
3999148_std.jpg

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Erm. Maybe a public forum is not the best place to post this.

Was at a strip club last week, and ran into a girl I had a crush on when I was a freshman in High School. She was a very conservative girl, socially awkward and both of us could have easily been characterized as the high school nerd types. I always thought she was real skinny because she wore shapeless clothes.

Anyhow, it turns out she is a stripper now.. she was extremely embarrassed and I have to admit it was very strange for me too, seeing her on the stage like that. We talked for maybe 30 minutes to a hour and caught up, but even that was pretty weird.

Easily the most awkward experience I've ever had.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I dunno... having my buddy's mom, whom we shall call Mrs. Robinson, trying to publicly seduce me in front of both her son, her husband, and a bunch of our friends, at her son's wedding. That was a little weird.

I still do household fix-it stuff for her occasionally. She pays in cash and she pays well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will not be ********** with her, if thats what you mean to imply...I like that family too much to destroy it.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads