• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most expensive disappointments...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I got a grail pair of G&G Sinatra in a hunter green for a sick price, only to have them be wayyy too small. My heart is still sick over that.

I'm pretty sure you sold them and recovered your costs though.

I think woe is talking about **** that you got stuck with.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$2,000+ semi-bespoke suit. Worked with the tailor for nearly a year to fix all the problems. He even completely remade the jacket at one point. In the end it was completely unwearable. I even took it to a very high-end tailor to see if it was salvageable. It wasn't. For various reasons I wound up paying for the stupid thing. However I once was a pretty regular customer and I've never (and will never) returned. Lesson learned about trying to do bespoke 'on the cheap'. A very expensive lesson.

P.S. This mistake pales in comparison to my divorce, however.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Ouch. At that price point, I wouldn't even say you were "on the cheap."

I've been lucky in that I haven't been burned badly. My disappointments have generally been eBay items that I knew were gambles, and rarely do I splash out more than $100 for such gambles.

The fear, though, diminishes my interest in getting stuff made.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I can see why. that shoe is nuts.

people still using the old coded link to rick roll trick?you should be asshamed of yourself....

@op-suede boots
frown.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying around 12 watches in a 15 month period. I only wear one of them. Not that the others are bad or anything, its just that I can be bothered with changing my watch everyday. I feel the Reverso goes with everything and thats the only one I wear.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For clothing?

An extensive mid 1990s wardrobe of MTM Oxxford and MTM Brioni. Lotsa dough down the tubes.

Nearly all donated to charity.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Buying around 12 watches in a 15 month period. I only wear one of them. Not that the others are bad or anything, its just that I can be bothered with changing my watch everyday. I feel the Reverso goes with everything and thats the only one I wear.
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
Assuming that the other watches were in the Reverso price rajge, that's a good chunk of change dropped on watches. Of course, the good news then is that the watches (especially the good ones) probably have decent resale value.

changy

Reaction score
what were the others?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
Assuming that the other watches were in the Reverso price point, that's a good chunk of change dropped on watches.

Of course, the good news then is that watches (especially the good ones) probably have decent resale value.

Yeah, similar price points, nothing crazy like ALS or PP. Regarding resale, I am in India. I would love to sell them on but the issues with international shipping and customs on arrival deter me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, similar price points, nothing crazy like ALS or PP. Regarding resale, I am in India. I would love to sell them on but the issues with international shipping and customs on arrival deter me.
IWC, Panerai, GP, Breguet, Breitling, all mid tier types
Ouch. Especially with the dollar to rupee conversion, that is a good chunk of change. How about charity and tax writeoffs, then?
devil.gif

Jangofett

Reaction score
IWC, Panerai, GP, Breguet, Breitling, all mid tier types

All these still can fetch a pretty penny, especially if you got them used or from someone who sells them in a showroom condition from an authorised retailer. Helps if you got papers and box etc. Even mid tier types with some complications (power reserve functions, chrono functions, moon phase etc) or made of gold, can be sold for some money.

Clothes on the other hand, cant go for much even if its bespoke Saville Row Stuff. Unless your shoes are bespoke crocodile made from that croc that Hermes used, but you are still not gonna get 1 grand for it either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads