• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most comfortable shoes?

JFK

Reaction score
Who makes the most comfortable shoes you own? And how do they compare with your other shoes in terms of quality, durability, and esthetics? (I'm interested primarily in hearing about shoes that would be appropriate for either business dress or business casual use, not sneakers or sandals.)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dress shoes I own are mostly mid-range men's shoes.  My most comfortable pair used to be a pair of Bally cap-toe oxfords that I bought from their store in Boston.  I know that the quality of Bally shoes can vary significantly, but I must have lucked out with these because they've held up very well and become more comfortable with time.  I say they used to be my most comfortable pair because the soles eventually wore out and I had them resoled.  It was the first time I'd had a pair of shoes resoled and I was disappointed to find that the fit of the shoes was slightly different afterwards.  They're now a little looser than they used to be -- still wearable, but not quite as comfortable due to some slippage.

I can tell that my Allen Edmonds Park Avenues would be very comfortable if my pair were the proper size.  I think the Park Avenue last is rather narrow and I could benefit from one size wider.  The shoes are still wearable and comfortable, but I think they would be excellent if they were just a touch wider.

For work, I rotate the above two pairs with a pair of Cole Haan cap-toe oxfords which are wearable but unremarkable.

Regards,

dan

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes the most comfortable shoes you own? And how do they compare with your other shoes in terms of quality, durability, and esthetics? (I'm interested primarily in hearing about shoes that would be appropriate for either business dress or business casual use, not sneakers or sandals.)
Now that they're broken in, Lobb Jive model (loafer). The C&J captoes are a close second.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feet are pretty rugged, and I can wear almost anything and still feel comfortable. But as far as fit goes, it has to be my C&J Handgrades. No painful breaking in, no rubbing at the heel. I've walked for hours in those on some pretty rugged backstreet urban terrain (Seoul is very hilly in some parts) and they've given me no problems.

They look awesome. The 337 last is sleeker than the 330, with a more chisel-ish toebox and a narrower profile.

As for durability, I'll get back to you in about a year. They seem to be wearing in very nicely in the meantime.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Business/bus casual
EG Malverns on the 202D last.
John Lobb Derwent 7000E last (I have no idea how this works.  I added a tongue pad to the Lobbs and the world is wonderful).
Moreschi Oxfords.  My first pair of "nice" dress shoes; purchased on sale at Arthur Beren, SF or Palo Alto, I can't remember.  After four fraternity formals without blisters, I can attest to the importance of comfortable dress shoes.

Casual:
Tod's driving shoes.  Yes, they are less than durable, but they feel like sneakers..

Tom

Reaction score
Sandro Moscoloni. I have the balmoral's, but virtually all of their models are equally comfortable. Look for them on Zappos.com. Inexpensive, and awesomely comfortable.

-Tom

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most comfortable dress shoes: Lattanzi bespoke Most comfortable leather casual shoes (rubber soled): Tod's chukkas, Timberland cupsole deckshoe (circa 1990) ULTIMATE COMFORT: Nike Air Max, Air Kukuni
biggrin.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, a 12C in pre-Prada Church's and Aldens, hits me just right, they feel as good as sneakers.

For casual shoes, The old L.L. Bean Campside Mocs that I've worn since I was 11 are like being barefoot.

For special purpose, LeChameau Chasseur wellies . . . once you've hunted in lesser wellies, you'll know why.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Stockbridge - comfy right off the bat.
Alden shell cordovan Chukka boots - double leather sole - took a while to break in - but now there awesome.

daytrader

Reaction score
oops, didn't see that the poster wanted comfortable business dress or business casual shoes, not sneakers.

JFK

Reaction score
Great information. Thanks, gentlemen.

I'm not surprised that there are a lot of loafers in this thread; my most comfortable shoes at the moment are a pair of San Remo tassel kilties (they're not great shoes, but they'll do until I can afford to replace them with something nicer).

And I'm glad to see some Aldens here; I just bought a pair of Alden saddle oxfords in shell cordovan (color 8) about 10 days ago, and although they're beautiful shoes, and the fit is better than any dress shoe I've ever owned, they feel pretty stiff and clunky at the moment. But I've been told that they're exceptionally comfortable once broken in, and am looking forward to confirming this.

I'm also glad to see C&Js mentioned a couple of times; I think the Handgrade Weymouths are stunning, and would love to get a pair. I'm a little concerned that the 337 last might be too narrow for my feet, though; I take a 9 E in the Alden cordovan oxfords (on the Barrie last, which I understand is one of Alden's "roomier" lasts) and was fitted to a 9 1/2 E in the Hampton last (which also runs a bit roomier than standard American sizes). Does anyone know where there are stores in NYC or Boston (or even Montreal) that would be likely to stock the Weymouths?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great information. Thanks, gentlemen. I'm not surprised that there are a lot of loafers in this thread; my most comfortable shoes at the moment are a pair of San Remo tassel kilties (they're not great shoes, but they'll do until I can afford to replace them with something nicer). And I'm glad to see some Aldens here; I just bought a pair of Alden saddle oxfords in shell cordovan (color 8) about 10 days ago, and although they're beautiful shoes, and the fit is better than any dress shoe I've ever owned, they feel pretty stiff and clunky at the moment. But I've been told that they're exceptionally comfortable once broken in, and am looking forward to confirming this. I'm also glad to see C&Js mentioned a couple of times; I think the Handgrade Weymouths are stunning, and would love to get a pair. I'm a little concerned that the 337 last might be too narrow for my feet, though; I take a 9 E in the Alden cordovan oxfords (on the Barrie last, which I understand is one of Alden's "roomier" lasts) and was fitted to a 9 1/2 E in the Hampton last (which also runs a bit roomier than standard American sizes). Does anyone know where there are stores in NYC or Boston (or even Montreal) that would be likely to stock the Weymouths?
The C&J handgrade Weymouth is a shoe I've been lusting after for quite a while
blush.gif
koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads