• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most awkward meal w/ someone

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I guess because today is a slow day, most persons in the office left already and IT still has to be here till the last person leaves. thus all my posts today.

What is your most awkward lunch/dinner/meal meeting you had with anyone? Can be an acquaintance you reluctantly promised to meet up with,
a date,
a fellow coworker, etc.

I know that there's got to be some. Not all of us are social pros at doing small talk, keeping the other party interested in you, no hangups, etc. Lot of times self-consciousness/lack of something to talk about, what have you, can cause a very awkward meal together.

Mine was when I beat the high school's wrestling coach at a game of chess. He claimed no student can beat him and if anyone did, he would treat them to lunch.

I was absolutely terrified at having an hour lunch with him one on one. Not because he was scary or anything, but i was a shy kid back then and i had nothing in common with this big, jock popular guy of a coach.

I kept putting it off, he kept seeing me at P.E class and asked when we would go, I kept on refusing to go saying i had something come up, and then finally at the end of the year he just gave me some money, "hey man, i owe you lunch, wish i had a chance to eat with you".

Actually that was not a real lunch so i dont think it counted , but it put a BIG STRAIN on me that whole last half of that high school year always trying to think of what next to bring up as an excuse not to go. what a load off my back when he just finally gave up.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like just did it. Don't want to talk about it yet.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
The one that comes to mind for me was about 3 years ago.

I was out with my then GF, and we were starving so we stopped at a Taco Bell. We get in, order, and sit down. The place was empty minus one guy sitting at the other side of the place.

We're eating, chatting, etc., and while this is going on, I kinda notice the man who looks around his late 30s sitting at the other side was kinda eyeballing us. I didn't think much of it and moved on.

Five minutes later, the man gets up and sits at our table with us. My GF and I are pretty much thinking WTF? He doesn't even introduce himself or anything and then:

"Do you like tricks?"

"Uh. Yeah, sure."

At this moment he pulls out a deck of cards and starts doing a string of card tricks for us. For some reason, neither of us could say no to the guy so we sat there for around 10 minutes watching this guy work his magic (which consisted of those rigged deck, false shuffle tricks).

In the middle of his last trick, this older woman comes along out of nowhere and, despite his protest, just straight-up drags him out of his seat and out of the restaurant _by his ear_.

My GF and I kinda just looked at each other after that in sheer amazement.

Awkward.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a few business meals with people with whom I had pretty much no common language.

I can think of 3 business meals where the person started spouting really hateful political ideas.

very akward

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine was when I had dinner with shoe, and he didn't say a word all night! Luckily there were several other people there, or it would have been really awkward. On a lighter note, I was having dinner once with a few friends and an ex walked in (major ex, long relationship, ugly breakup) with her new boyfriend and got seated and the table next to us. We hadn't seen each other in about two years. We tried to be civil, but we were both visibly uncomfortable in the extreme. That was pretty lame.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
On a lighter note, I was having dinner once with a few friends and an ex walked in (major ex, long relationship, ugly breakup) with her new boyfriend and got seated and the table next to us. We hadn't seen each other in about two years. We tried to be civil, but we were both visibly uncomfortable in the extreme. That was pretty lame.

yuck.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went on a weekend vacation with my best friend and his family last summer in Fernie, BC. The weekend was going reasonably well until we went out for breakfast that fateful Sunday morning. (Actually, considering the dad of the family had recently abondended them for a new lady friend and that my friend's sister did not want me to be there, things were going great...)

Anyways, Sunday morning all five of us went to a quaint little restaurant in what was a remodeled train station dating back to the Klondike gold rush. The place was quite full so in order for us to get in we had to squish at a table meant for four people. I was seated at the head of the table with what was a perfect vantage point to witness the forthcoming drama...

We ordered our drinks. We ordered our food. I trapped and killed a fly that was pestering me. We got our drinks. We got our food. And then all hell broke loose.

What appeared to be an innocent conversation between brother and sister somehow errupted into all out war in which all four family members were involved. Swearing, raised voices, crying and strange looks from other patrons kept me feeling extremely uncomfortable for what seemed an eternity (The fighting lasted for just over an hour). I didn't say a word. All I could do was stare at my plate and draw designs with the remaining maple syrup from my french toast. The waitress kept her distance the entire time which really pissed me off because I wanted to pay my bill and get the hell out of there (or at least get some more coffee). After a cease fire was finally ageed upon, we settled our tab and drove back to their vacation home where a good time was had by no one.

The mom later gave me a tearful apology for the scene they caused. This created another awkward moment because I really did not know how to respond. I am looking forward to the time when they will be able to laugh at their ridiculous display. (Although at this point in time, I kind of doubt that will ever happen)

Victor123

Reaction score
I had a wicken sit next to me in the cafeteria in college once. Practically the entire cafeteria was empty so it didn't really make any sense. I said "whats up" when he sat down and he gave me a dirty look. He then pulled out some beads, put them to his lips, and started muttering some sort of prayer.

After chuckling a little bit I decided to eat quickly and leave.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was going out with this girl a while back. And believe me, she was a wonderful, wonderful girl. Very popular, well liked, incredibly nice and unique. If I were to describe the type of girl I wanted at that time, she would have fit the bill perfectly. And she was also way, way out of my league. However, she also had eating problems, specifically bulimia. So every time we went out to eat she would always excuse herself to go to the bathroom so I had to sit there alone for a few minutes and twiddle my thumbs, knowing full well what was going on. To say the least, it was heartbreaking to just sit there and feel helpless
confused.gif

clarity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

On a lighter note, I was having dinner once with a few friends and an ex walked in (major ex, long relationship, ugly breakup) with her new boyfriend and got seated and the table next to us. We hadn't seen each other in about two years. We tried to be civil, but we were both visibly uncomfortable in the extreme. That was pretty lame.

At least you weren't eating dinner one on one with a very close friend of hers.

Yeah...
plain.gif
I politely asked to be seated elsewhere, since we hadn't even been given our drinks at the time.

zupermaus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somecallmebj
The one that comes to mind for me was about 3 years ago.

I was out with my then GF, and we were starving so we stopped at a Taco Bell. We get in, order, and sit down. The place was empty minus one guy sitting at the other side of the place.

We're eating, chatting, etc., and while this is going on, I kinda notice the man who looks around his late 30s sitting at the other side was kinda eyeballing us. I didn't think much of it and moved on.

Five minutes later, the man gets up and sits at our table with us. My GF and I are pretty much thinking WTF? He doesn't even introduce himself or anything and then:

"Do you like tricks?"

"Uh. Yeah, sure."

At this moment he pulls out a deck of cards and starts doing a string of card tricks for us. For some reason, neither of us could say no to the guy so we sat there for around 10 minutes watching this guy work his magic (which consisted of those rigged deck, false shuffle tricks).

In the middle of his last trick, this older woman comes along out of nowhere and, despite his protest, just straight-up drags him out of his seat and out of the restaurant _by his ear_.

My GF and I kinda just looked at each other after that in sheer amazement.

Awkward.

Thats a textbook case of 'street hustling'. Cardman with tricks approaches people in bar and get them to bet him a drink/meal/money on something he is completely in control of due to practiced sleight of hand/ 'magic' card pack. There's basically no way he can lose and he makes alot of money from unsuspecting pundits. The woman probably saved you your money.

zupermaus

Reaction score
Eating out in Romania (Vlads birthplace castle, Sighisoara), three Romanian 'students' asked if they could join us for a friendly drink at our restaurant table. They looked more like army recruits/ yobs. WE politley declined but they kept sitting right opostite us and talking to us, so we said yes, but let us finish our food first. When we did they all three came over and the smallest guy ended up giving me a picture he'd drawn from a Romanian church, it was very good. We tried not to accept it but in the end we had to, to not look snobbish. His friends were talking about the fights theyd been in and pretty much testosterone fueled banter - girls, booze, violence. My mate left to go to the toilet, but was in fact quickly paying the bill inside the restaurant, so I was left alone. They all three looked at me and pretty much stated it would be good if I could help them out with their beers, eg buying them a round. Now, he's just given me a drawing of his and the least I could do was buy him a round. But I knew then and there that wouldnt be the end of it. I stopped talking and completely went quiet, and looked about, paying alot of attention to my body language to not seem to be ******** myself in the delicately embarrassing/ underlyingly threatening situation I was in. He repeated what he just requested and I looked him in the eye and still didnt say anything. Funnily enough the conversation then went on to us Brits, how cool and calm we were but I said no way, that's a myth. That back in UK there was a huge problem with binge drinking and violence, that London had 6x more crimes than NYC blah blah... My mate came back and said we'd better go, and as I got up I told him thanks for the picture, but I didnt have any money to give him. Then we left REAL QUICK, but looking not that quick if ya know what I mean. I threw the picture away later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads