• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your help would be appreciated ~

wjrmonkey

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. So let me introduce myself: I'm 29 turning 30 and now in the last year of professional /grad school , i.e. a senior. A few more months my class will dissolve and each of us move on to our merry way of professional careers. I am always a bit shy and had skipped most of the socializing events of my school during the past 3 years. I just never bothered to show up. Now I realized that's a horrible blunder, as even until today my classmates are sort of clueless what a person I really am, and I think generally I was regarded as a lone wolf and does not mess around with anyone. Nevertheless, in the bone in fact I like it that way - peace with self, no obligations to be a crowd-pleaser.

But now things are turning different. Let's just say after some events I become increasingly interested in a girl in the class, it is as if after laying dormant for a long time I suddenly wake up, rub my eyes and start to see that she might be that girl I always longed for being with. I know she is single. In school mostly we are courteous towards each other. Beyond that I don't know how to make advance further. And time is running out - just a few more months until May/June 2011.

Then I suddenly remembered there is going to be a winter formal in Feb. 2011, i.e. next month. It is the last formal I could ever catch to attend. I know consistently she has been to these formals in very nice evening gowns. Just for her I'd swear I will show up this time to try my chances. The formal is for dinner and open bar from 7:00pm - midnight. and ticket costs $35 per person - fairly typical event of this sort, right?

So in the end, My question: can I dress the following suit to be there? Would I look like a ridiculous antique among the group, mostly in their 20s? - I know most guys will be in white/silver shirt and black suit and tie, etc. girls in coloful evening gowns. but I want to be a bit different, perhaps a bit more unique...... After all, this will be my first as well as last attendance to a formal.

1-10.jpg

6-7.jpg

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated - in fact any general suggestions will help. Thanks a lot for your time reading this personal garbage.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit could look pretty nice, though could easily look a bit dated depending what you pair it with (the tie in the picture, for example, is ghastly). The trousers look pretty wide at the ankle, so might need slimming down.

Do you already own this suit, or are these pictures off eBay or something? The most important thing is fit, so you need to be sure that this will fit well before buying it, and it could require alterations to achieve this.

If you have a strong sense of style and this suit matches your personal aesthetic then I think you could pull it off, I would probably wear it and I'm younger than you, but if you don't normally wear anything like this then it might be better to go with something a little more conservative. A well-fitting navy suit, possibly also a 3-piece, will still look considerably better than the ill-fitting black suit/shirt combination that it sounds like most of the guys will be wearing.

Merlino

Reaction score
Loving the suit, not sure if it's right for the occasion. What will other guys be wearing? Suit and tie? Dinner jacket?

Another piece of advice: try and have a cup of coffee with her before the party. It'll be much easier to approach her at the party that way and you'll have lots more fun. In addition, you won't have all that "I need to succeed" pressure that is almost guaranteed to make you fail.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by "Style Guru"
You're an idiot, right? And apparently still a 30yo virgin.If you're not wearing a dinner jacket ("tux" to the proles) then buy a dark suit, white shirt and solid tie and black shoes(any kind) And what were you doing all through your 20's?

What a classy way to welcome someone. We'll all be sure to treat your comments seriously from here on out.

To the OP:

Typically the term "formal" means a dinner jacket or "tux" -- I'm a prole, you see. The ensemble you posted is very nice but wouldn't be classified as formal. If tuxes aren't worn at this particular formal event, then I personally wouldn't deviate from the dark suit/white shirt/dark tie. One of the ideas underlying formal events -- for men, at least -- is symmetry and congruity.

Tell us more about the event.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
What a classy way to welcome someone. We'll all be sure to treat your comments seriously from here on out.

+1

Joe Cool

Reaction score
"Toss off" dipshit

Originally Posted by "Style Guru"
You're an idiot, right? And apparently still a 30yo virgin.If you're not wearing a dinner jacket ("tux" to the proles) then buy a dark suit, white shirt and solid tie and black shoes(any kind) And what were you doing all through your 20's?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac

To the OP:

Typically the term "formal" means a dinner jacket or "tux" -- I'm a prole, you see. The ensemble you posted is very nice but wouldn't be classified as formal. If tuxes aren't worn at this particular formal event, then I personally wouldn't deviate from the dark suit/white shirt/dark tie. One of the ideas underlying formal events -- for men, at least -- is symmetry and congruity.

Tell us more about the event.

+1. Try to stand out with fit rather than picking clothes that are completely different. You can maybe tweak a tux with something different, tie, cufflinks etc. Especially if everyone already thinks you're an outsider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads