your height?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stickonatree, Mar 5, 2008.

1. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

5' 11

and what do you know. Looking at the poll, it does look the heights are normally distributed.

2. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I just realized that for Asians, their '6 footer' equivalent is 5'8". Dunno why that is. My Asian father-in-law among many others keeps opining [about other Asian men] that 'he's not short, he's 5'8".

Now, a 5'8" Asian woman - that's a rarity. :>)

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

I'm short. My mom is 5", my father is closer to 6"--and I'm closer to my mom than to my dad's height. I got the short end of the gene stick, so to speak. [​IMG]

My older brother is about 5'8", and my younger brother is taller than him--he's barely 17. [​IMG]

4. haganah

haganah Senior member

My brother was supposed to be 6'2", took up smoking at age 13 and is 6'6". Absolutely no interest in basketball. I was supposed to be 6'6", never smoked, played basketball at least five days a week until my late twenties and wound up at 6'2". Life isn't always fair.
    Yeah it sucks to be 6'2'' [​IMG] How do you know what height you're supposed to be btw?

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

I just realized that for Asians, their '6 footer' equivalent is 5'8". Dunno why that is. My Asian father-in-law among many others keeps opining [about other Asian men] that 'he's not short, he's 5'8".

If you meant "Asian" as in people actually living in that huuuggge continent, it varies from country to country. Just looking at the "Orientals" subset, East Asian youth (Chinese, South Korean) are closer in height to American standards than, say, their Malaysian peers.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

so did I

[​IMG]

For disclosure, I'm 5' 7"

Jon.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm short. My mom is 5", my father is closer to 6"--and I'm closer to my mom than to my dad's height. I got the short end of the gene stick, so to speak. [​IMG]

My older brother is about 5'8", and my younger brother is taller than him--he's barely 17. [​IMG]

Look at it this way: you can fit into just about every car ever made, Including all those multimillion dollar classic Ferrari's.

Jon.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

6' 1" or thereabouts

I was never good at enough at basketball to have reason to worry about a precise measurement.

9. sweisman

sweisman Senior member

Probably the shortest on the forum, 5'2"...After losing 25 lbs over the last year and getting down to 130lbs, finding clothes has been impossible. The height doesn't bother me and since I have been usually the shortest person in the room since middle school I am used to it. My lighthearted attitude and use of self deprecating humor has been a great advantage professionally. Everyone gets along with this short guy.

10. DNW

DNW Senior member

Look at it this way: you can fit into just about every car ever made, Including all those multimillion dollar classic Ferrari's.

Jon.

I remember trying to buy an old (80s, I believe) Merc S coupe right out of highschool and couldn't reach the gas pedal comfortably without reaching. [​IMG]

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Now, a 5'8" Asian woman - that's a rarity. :>)

A lot of it depends on whether someone is of Asian descent and grew up in NA, or grew up in Asia.

My parents and their families are tall, by Asian standards. I am a whisper under 5'11", and weigh 160 lbs or so, and two of my three brothers are 6' and up. One stands at just 6', and weighs about 175 lbs, the other at 6'2" and tips the scale just shy of 300 lbs. The runt of our family is 5'9".

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm 6' take a couple of inches.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

6' 2"- I've always been happy with my height.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

6'0"

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

5'10-5'11 or so.

Interestingly, everybody in my family claims to be the same height, but I have a good inch or two on all of them, except my father who was about my height.