• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your hearing...what concert did it in?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
pearl jam + mudhoney 1994

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish, firing way too much ammo and standing too close to firing big guns and landing shells is what did my hearing in.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Sugar sometime in 1992. This was the first concert I'd ever gone to at the old 9:30 club, and I was totally unprepared for the volume. I think Swervedriver opened, or something? My 19 year old ears ached for a week afterward. I fortunately adopted earplugs after that, but I think the damage was already done.

Actually, it might have been the Connells that really wrecked my ears back in 1991, when they opened for the Replacements. ****, that was just ridiculously loud, and that was at Lisner Auditorium.

Bob Mould is almost completely deaf.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to hundreds of concerts but the loudest was a Ted Leo show in Ann Arbor, Michigan a few years ago. I think cranking the amps up to 11 combined with ultra low ceilings in the venue really did a number on my hearing. My ears were still ringing about 48 hours after the concert.

I always thought rock bands should turn down the music so you can actually hear the lyrics but that rarely seems to happen. I guess they figure that enough volume and distortion will cover up the fact that they're really not that talented.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Bob Mould is almost completely deaf.

I totally believe this. After Husker Du and then Sugar - easy to see.

BTW: I think he's well on his way to becoming this generations Beethoven. Except for that whole business of writing songs people want to hear.

rvan

Reaction score
I think it was the first Buzz Beach Ball festival 2005 in Kansas City, KS. I was way too close to the speakers at Vedera set before Weezer went on.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Black Keys in a Small venue some time in 2008.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was totally Saliva and Nickelback, NYC, 2001.
bounce2.gif

I actually haven't been to many concerts lately; the Phoenix and Passion Pit show was pretty loud...

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Prodigy used to take it to the max.

A PA company I did some work with used to be their supplier in the earlier days, and it was a good gig for them as their entire warehouse of EAW KF850 would be emptied for each Prodigy tour, literally leaving the cupboard bare!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
BTW: I think he's well on his way to becoming this generations Beethoven. Except for that whole business of writing songs people want to hear.

laugh.gif
His audience is..selective

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
The Black Keys in a Small venue some time in 2008.

Wasn't in Cincinnati was it? I may have been there.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
laugh.gif
His audience is..selective

Actually I was quite a fan of his until...hmmm...The Last Dog and Pony Show.

True story (like I tell any others...) I bought TLDPS and 'Frank Black and the Catholics' many years back, when Mrs. Thomas and I were engaged and living together. Mrs. T had some friends over (which meant I was banished) and I'd left the discs in the player. They didn't bother to check what was in there, and when I got back Mrs. T accosted me with "What kind of sh!t do you listen to?!?".

And her friends taunted me about it during our wedding day and afterwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads