Your Go-to Dress Shoe Brand

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Jun 11, 2011.

1. guest

guest Senior member

damn not many weston fans i see. i've never seen a pair of crockett and jones IRL.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

damn not many weston fans i see. i've never seen a pair of crockett and jones IRL.

where do you live, I mean if you can find JM Weston, then you can probably get CJ too (or I would think).

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

This has been one of the more interesting threads of the year. I expected Alden and C&J to runaway with this.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

This has been one of the more interesting threads of the year. I expected Alden and C&J to runaway with this.
    Good thing that they didn't. Seems like there are still some SF members with taste.

6. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

I've only really tried aes , jls , and c&js and while aes appeal to me price wise. The gunboat style and the bad fit ended up with me deciding they wouldn't work... Jls are amazing but way out of my price range.

C&j is the perfect balance.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Alden is one of the forum's favorite shoe brands so i was floored when I saw it so far behind C&J and AE. Then I looked at all my Aldens and I realized that Alden really isnt a dress shoe company, imo. I have 10 pairs of Aldens and I only consider one pair to be a real dress shoe and even then its borderline. Their lasts are on the clunkly/larger size which lend themselves to boots. Some of my Alden dress boots are made on sleeker lasts but I still hesitiate to wear them with suits. Instead ill wear them with business causal or cotton chinos for a more relaxed look. A look I prefer most of the time.

Today I wore a suit and opted for the sleeker austetic of a C&J. I also considered the JL but never the Alden. Just too clunky for a suit, imo

8. Church's Goer

Church's Goer Well-Known Member

I'm biased, as my name suggests. My Mum works for Church's and I get a ridiculous discount (50%) whenever I go over to visit her. Recently got a tour of the factory floor and although there may be an objective view as to what is a better shoe, you can't go wrong with their shoes once you figure out the right fit (10.5 G).

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I'm biased, as my name suggests. My Mum works for Church's and I get a ridiculous discount (50%) whenever I go over to visit her. Recently got a tour of the factory floor and although there may be an objective view as to what is a better shoe, you can't go wrong with their shoes once you figure out the right fit (10.5 G).

can you proxy a shoe :)

10. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

50%?!?! hook it up.

Nobody picked Magnanni's yet. I know they don't get much love on here but I they fit me perfectly.

11. Church's Goer

You'll have to take a number on that one.

12. Church's Goer

FWIW, if anyone is ever in Northampton area, go to the Church's factory store. They carry a tonne of shoes (some having minor flaws in them), at a steep discount to what they would cost in store. I got a pair of tobacco Gunthorpes (no flaws) and espresso coloured Shergards (imperceptible flaw) and if I didn't get the discount would have ended up paying about 370GBP all in before discounting VAT. Worth planning a trip over compared to retail prices for shoes in Toronto.

13. Church's Goer

FWIW, if anyone is ever in Northampton area, go to the Church's factory store. They carry a tonne of shoes (some having minor flaws in them), at a steep discount to what they would cost in store. I got a pair of tobacco Gunthorpes (no flaws) and espresso coloured Shergards (imperceptible flaw) and if I didn't get the discount would have ended up paying about 370GBP all in before discounting VAT. Worth planning a trip over compared to retail prices for shoes in Toronto.

14. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

15. antsshoes

antsshoes Active Member

I am partial to AEs and Aldens. Both have quite a few styles that I personally like. Both wear pretty good, and can be had for a reasonable price.