• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first job out of college

v.freeman

Reaction score
Took a F500 finance rotational over a few pure financial services positions at smaller shops. My only complaint as of right now is over monetary compensation, but the job seems okay.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started as a recruiter. After two years, turfed during the recession. Made an industry switch.

jefe

Reaction score
Started as an options clerk on the CBOE with a small shop. Paid as a contractor $1,800 a month with no insurance. It built a lot of character. I no longer work in that specific business, but have moved on to equally poorly performing speculative financial dealings.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm currently a surgical resident at St. Mary's.

ektaylor

Reaction score
I was a Field Organizer. Worked out quite well (that is, better than it did for you, Conne). Yes, I'm staying in the field--I'm putting off law school to do so.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
Graduated as a mining engineer during a mining bust.

Worked as an underground miner in coal and lead/zinc mines for about 2 years as there were no other jobs.

Didn't mind actually - mining legislation requires graduates to spend at least a year underground to be eligible for management positions.

rvan

Reaction score
My first job was working production/graphic design for a small local newspaper. This was 2008 and I stayed for 10 months until I was laid off because they weren't making money (go figure). I'm still in the graphic design field but I've moved from publishing to production of athletic apparel. Similar position but different products, and I am a much happier.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first job was in IT at a large local foundation specializing in community development. While there I took the LSAT, applied, and got accepted to a couple law schools but after working at the foundation for a while I changed paths and decided to go to grad school for urban planning instead.

I stayed at the foundation for just over a year.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Really? My friends are English and History majors, respectively. Both got in. But they also had pretty great resumes and experiences for 22 yr olds. I know that they both definitely feel differently about the times that we used to torment teachers in high school!
laugh.gif

yep, at least that's how it was in my area. i've had at least 1 friend/acquaintance getinto each round. i'm the only person that i know of in that round that was not a math/science major. plus, in the final interview they repeatedly state that they're in desperate need of "math/science majors." edit: +1 on being a slave

Avocat

Reaction score
Started in the news publishing and media industry, traveling the world and having fun, avoiding the inevitable practice of law for a bit--i.e., before returning to law school. The legal profession is a long-standing, time honoured tradition in my family, such that I was raised into it. I did for a time consider politics (was approached and given an opportunity to run with backing and support, but this is not unusual for attorneys; while flattered at the time, I turned the offer down). We'll see what the future holds, though at this time I have no political ambitions. I well appreciate those who do, however, and also those who help them campaign: I helped a friend of mine campaign once, and found it to be an incredibly rewarding experience overall.

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You know NZN?

(I think he was at CBOE...)

Doesn't ring a bell, but I only ended up on the floor for about a year. I ended up on an index desk upstairs for a bank. Most of the time I was on the floor I clerked/traded in the SPX pit. Any idea what he traded? I've still got a couple of friends down there, but the herd has thinned a lot even since I was down there (2002-2003).

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing cost estimates and economic evaluations for a west African oilfield development

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads