• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite/recommended products

Conscientia

Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I'd try to spark up a thread about everyones recommendations for certain products. I think the best thing is to try and limit it to 1-2 products per category and provide a reason why.

Anyway, categories.

• Facial Cleanser
  • Facial Scrub
  • Toner/Astringent
  • Shaving Cream
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Facial Moisturiser
  • Body Moisturiser
  • Body Scrub
  • Oral Hygeine Item
  • Hair styling product
  • Other

I'm tired right now and as a result will be heading to bed - but shall return tomorrow with my own recommendations. Feel free to add on categories, those were just the first couple that came to mind. Please do try and provide some sort of reasoning behind your choice, so we know exactly why we should go out and spend our money on it
tongue.gif

Aries

Reaction score
* Facial Cleanser- Proactiv Solution (borrowed from sister) works better on me than on her
* Facial Scrub- N/A
* Toner/Astringent- N/A
* Shaving Cream, Art of Shaving, Trumpers Violet, currently Proraso
* Shampoo,- schwarzkopf
* Conditioner- N/A
* Facial Moisturiser- Trumpers Skin Food, currenlty Art of Shaving Balm
* Body Moisturiser- none
* Body Scrub- Anthony Logistic Glycerin Bar/ Salux towel combo
* Oral Hygeine Item- Toms of Maine toothpaste, Biotene Mouthwash
* Hair styling product-N/A
* Other

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Facial Cleanser - Baxter
  • Facial Scrub - N/A
  • Toner/Astringent - N/A
  • Shaving Cream - N/A
  • Shampoo - Aveda Rosemary Mint
  • Conditioner - Abba Moisture Scentsation
  • Facial Moisturiser - Baxter, Jack Black, Nivea
  • Body Moisturiser - Jack Black
  • Body Scrub - N/A
  • Oral Hygeine Item - Tom's of Maine
  • Hair styling product - Aveda Flax Gel
  • Other - Jack Black Lib Balm!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expanded reviews on request

• Facial Cleanser---------------MenScience: Nothing leaves you feeling as clean without drying you out. Has AHA and BHA. If you use this its doubtful you will have blackheads.

• Facial Scrub-------------------Aveeno scrub: Can get in a drug store. Gentle and effective.

• Toner/Astringent-------------Baxters herbal mint: Doesnt leave you oily like most toners. Might want to take a look at Sharps. I have not tried Sharps, but everyone who has loves it.

• Shaving Cream----------------Kiss my Face: Very soft with great lube. Tell those traditionalist old english fans to take a hike
    devil.gif

• Shampoo-----------------------Anthony Logistics: Very gentle and wont make your hair flat and hard to style. Rinses clean

• Conditioner--------------------Burts Bee's Avacado Butter: Might not be a condish, but I have yet to try any product, short of hot oil, that will make my hair as soft.

• Facial Moisturiser-------------Baxters oil free: Very light, wont leave you feeling greesy. Also Burts Bee's Daycream: This is a new product and I love it, perhaps better than Baxters, but I have only been using it for a week, so more time will be needed for a final judgment.

• Body Moisturiser--------------Aveeno: forgot what kind. I dont use body moisturisers often, but this isnt greesy and doesnt have much of a smell.

• Body Scrub---------------------Sharps: I like it, but then again, most dont

• Oral Hygeine Item------------Crest whightening strips: Just get the "normal" kind. Cheap, very effective, and not too harsh. Sensodyne: I have sensative teeth and this has the least offensive taste.

• Hair styling product----------La Bella pomade, the blue kind: I never hear this product mentioned, but for me, it's the baby bears bowel of porrage. Gives my hair a perfect separation.

• Other---------------------------Murkur HD: DE razor. MUCH prefered to the Futer. Also, 100% pure jojoba oil: Best night time moisturizer I have found. Far better than any night cream I have tried, and moisturizes my skin better than anything, washes clean in the morning. If try any one thing on my list, try this.

A little about me so you know who is reviewing: 20-something white, normal skin type, straight black hair.

bob

Reaction score
Facial cleanser: cetaphil - Cheap and good. I don't buy the hype about more expensive products.

Hair product: Redken rough paste no. 12 - Good hold and easy to wash off. Don't like the smell though. Would switch to another product if I found the right one.

No preference for the other stuff. I either buy whatever catches my eye at the store or eschew using it at all.

GeeGee

Reaction score
Any recommendations for good acne cleansers?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
* Facial Cleanser - Baxter's
* Facial Scrub - Clarins
* Toner/Astringent- Don't use one
* Shaving Cream - Trumper's Rose Soap
* Shampoo - Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing
* Conditioner - Same as above
* Facial Moisturiser - Kiehl's Oil-free/Jack Black Double-duty
* Body Moisturiser - N/A
* Body Scrub - Aveeno sensitive skin something or other
* Oral Hygeine Item - Philips Sonic Care
* Hair styling product - Aveda Light Elements Defining Whip
* Other - Any quality shaving brush

Aries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeeGee
Any recommendations for good acne cleansers?

The Proactiv deep cleansing wash has really kept my skin clear of blemishes but YMMV. I've heard some peoples skin reacts negatively to it. If you can get a sample, might be worth a shot.

Conscientia

Reaction score
* Facial Cleanser
Neutrogena Oil Free Cream Wash. Anything oil free on my skin gets a thumbs up. Cleanses very well - one of the best washes I've ever used.

* Facial Scrub
St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrubs (for Problem Skin). Probably the best facial scrub that I have ever used (minus a homemade one with sea salt, walnut and apricot). Lots of exfoliation stones/beads... not too much 'goo' with it, heh.

* Shaving Cream
I get shaving cream handmade for me from eBay (www.TheSoapPalace.tk [I think?]) - lathers up well, I can choose whatever scent I wish. The seller is also really friendly.

* Facial Moisturiser
Nivea for men; active firming. Has some creatine in it, among other ingredients that I find beneficial

* Body Moisturiser
Palmers Cocoa Butter. Without a doubt the best moisturiser I have ever used, the packaging is nasty - but the product is great. Helps smooth out marks and even skintone. Great smell too!

* Oral Hygeine Item
Dentyl ph mouthwash. No alchohol, does a good job at getting all the 'gunk' out of your mouth - especially good in the morning, heh. Also, a tongue scrapper... one of the best finds I made last year.

* Hair styling product
Bodyshop Beeswax Hair Texturising Wax. Amazing smell, good hold and very light weight.

* Other
Water! I never drank too much water, but have made a point out of doing so lately (at least 2 litres a day) and have noticed GREAT improvements in my skin, eyes and general well-being.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Great thread. I was wondering about the products used in this forum. What about hand soap, body wash and lotion?

* Facial Cleanser - cetaphil/acnefree
* Facial Scrub - dove gentle scrub & exoliator
* Toner/Astringent - acnefree
* Shaving Cream - don't shave
* Shampoo - Kirkland generic of biolage
* Conditioner - j crew
* Facial Moisturiser - acne free/cetaphil
* Body Moisturiser - should I?
* Body Scrub - should I?
* Oral Hygeine Item - sonic care, listerine whitening mouthwash, tom's of maine, Indian stuff called Vicco for gum health
* Hair styling product - I use the J Crew Conditoner (need something else)
* Other - Retina, Aveeno Facial Masque, Eye Cream
* Lotion - Aveeno
* Handsoap - Dial (need to change)
* Body Wash - Suave (really need to change)

GeeGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries
The Proactiv deep cleansing wash has really kept my skin clear of blemishes but YMMV. I've heard some peoples skin reacts negatively to it. If you can get a sample, might be worth a shot.

Proactive doesn't work for me. I finished taking accutane a while ago, but I'm still getting some very mild acne.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeeGee
Proactive doesn't work for me. I finished taking accutane a while ago, but I'm still getting some very mild acne.

Check this site out for some general acne advice. Just avoid the forum.

http://www.acne.org/

James Bluesky

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of products and would recommend chinese lily soap, or safeguard soap again chinese. leaves skin feeling very clean and not dry. Also is very good for shaving. I have have battled with the odd spot for years and have recently writtten a book. I have put together a website www.acnecureexpert.com with friends that are in the natural therapy industry. let me know if you want more information.

Aiwass

Reaction score
# Facial Cleanser- Clearasil 3 in 1 cleanser # Facial Scrub-Baking Soda # Toner/Astringent- apple cider vinegar # Shaving Cream-their all the same too me! # Shampoo-paul mitchell tea tree # Conditioner-paul mitchell tea tree # Facial Moisturiser- i dont use any i have oily skin # Body Moisturiser- palmers shea butter # Body Scrub-baking soda # Oral Hygeine Item-i use all sorts of toothpaste # Hair styling product- Wildroot cream oil
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads