• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite polo shirt

naturlaut

Reaction score
I haven't tried that many, but here are my opinions in those that I have tried.

1) Ralph Lauren Polo --- collars don't stay in shape after repeated washings, plus I don't fancy the polo player very much. The fabric also gets washed too easily.

2) Loro Piana --- I really like the cut and fabric, but plastic buttons... The one-piece collar is great for polo and sport shirts for me. Looks brand new even after repeated laundering.

3) Hermes --- light fabric, chest pocket (with 'H' embroidered), slightly longer than the Loro Piana polo. I like the pearl buttons but I don't like the flimsy collar. The fabric also creases easily.

4) Cucinelli --- leather zipper, slim, textured fabric. Really like it, though I'd still prefer buttons to zipper.

What are your favourites?

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Mine is this Izod polo I've had for years. Hardly a marvel of construction but it's my absolute favorite. It's shrunk to the perfect size and still looks decent enough to wear.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After trying RLPL (the older versions, not the new ones), RL Polo, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, GAP, Banana Republic, and SAKS label (and some more, I just can't recall right now...), I personally prefer RL Polo shirts.

The RL Polo shirts seem to be the best overall, from repeated washings, to button durability, to fit, to color availability, to customization. They are available in a plethora of sizes, either classic or slim-fit design, tons of colors (including the ability to customize the Polo Player color, i.e. can be designed in the same color as the shirt for a very nonchalant look).

Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hands down, the RL Polo is the best. The fit is perfect, and as Image stated, can be found in numerous sizes. They rarely fade when washing, if they do, it gives the shirt a great worn-in, antiquated look. The collars are thick and roll well, unlike the flimsy Lacoste garbage (I own many of these as well). And, I actually like the polo player logo. It's not the least bit garish (unlike the LV monogrammed stuff), it's discrete and adds a bit of styling to an otherwise boring shirt.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got to go with Mike C. on this one, the RL polo shirts wash up better than Lacoste, and they have a better and more extensive color palate. I'm usually against any logos, but sometimes a neat contrasting color for the RL logo actually improves the shirt.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is lacoste really that bad? am i a fool for wanting more crocodiles? i have to admit i'm enamored of their look and their history...but if they're really that poor in comparison to RL Polos...
confused.gif
maybe there are different levels of quality in the lacoste line? are they all pique, or do they have some softer knits as well? the other thing about ralph lauren is, they are ubiquitous. I kindof like having something a little out-of-the-ordinary. /andrew

bryce330

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the custom-fit Polo RL shirts. I find that the regular Polo shirts, as well as most other brands (including Lacoste), are too full in the body. I do wish Polo used nicer buttons (ie MOP) but that is really my only complaint.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is lacoste really that bad? am i a fool for wanting more crocodiles? i have to admit i'm enamored of their look and their history...but if they're really that poor in comparison to RL Polos...
confused.gif
In my experience the quality is day and night. RL is definatly better than Lacoste. However, I do own and like Lacoste, it's just that they never fit as well as the RL slim-cut polos.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently, Lacoste has slim-fit shirts now...at least I think that's what I saw on the NM website. Regardless, I still think RL Polo's are the best bang for the buck, plus for a mere $5 more you can customize them. So what they don't have MOP buttons? If that is the only drawback, I'll take it. To copy Gregory: "Jon endorses Polo Ralph Lauren":
polo_logo.gif
Jon.

BGW

Reaction score
You could always buy some MOP buttons and sew them on (or have them sewn on).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if RL added MOP buttons they would jack the price up to at least $65 IMO... hardly worth adding them to this kind of shirt IMO. Nice to have? Sure.

I would give it to Polo as well, as I like both the regular and Purple Label polos. As for the collar, on the regular polos, turn it up before throwing it in the wash and it's fine. Some of the RL polos made with pima cotton, etc. look/feel good but have terrible collars.

Lacoste is fine, but too much money for what it is.

wicozani

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you would consider this a true polo shirt, but I favor those by either Bobby Jones or Pringle. Both have pearl buttons, very fine fabric, and run slightly large so that the shoulders of a medium fit me nicely (I wear a 42 jacket) while the body is somewhat trim. Best of both worlds imho.

Regards,

Jeff

andreyb

Reaction score
I believe that best polo shirts are John Smedley ones.

Construction standards are far, far better than Lacoste's, Sea Island cotton or New Zealand merino wool fabric, MOP buttons, made in England.

But I still purchase Lacoste's shirts from time to time. Why? Because they are available in cotton pique, and I love this fabric.

Andrey

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any polos, but I was thinking about getting a few for next Summer. Has anyone tried Lands' End's pima cotton polo shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads