Your favorite watch under $135

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ahheck01, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

You can get a nice-looking watch, of maybe mediocre quality, in that price range, but why spend limited funds on a watch instead of on the basics? Okay, overstock.com was already mentioned.

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Take a look at the Seiko SKX033. It is a nice diver type watch with a stainless band, in the same general style as a Rolex Submariner. You can get a new one, including shipping, for less than $135 on ebay. This is a moderately big watch, with a case width of 40mm. Seiko makes excellent watches for the price.

Someone earlier in the thread suggested a Seiko Black Monster (SKX779). While I love the Black Monster, it is a bulky watch.

3. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

My absolute favorite at that price range would be the blue Orient Mako.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I dont know what that means. -- Re Timex watches - maybe keep an eye on this guy. Doesn't appear to have anything particularly striking up at the moment, but always changing, so worth watching...I bought the Ironman from him a couple years back (I used to go jungle running back then, this was great for it)...
    On your plate, it looks like you have two hamsters on your plate. How much does a plate of crispy rodent go for?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I like self winding autos. +1 to all the mentions of Seiko 5s. You can get a nice day/date, SS band, for $20 on ebay. Since I tend to be hard on my everyday watch, I like these.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Does anybody know where to buy decent grosgain straps for watches?

7. twotrey

twotrey Senior member

Does anybody know where to buy decent grosgain straps for watches?

+1

I've been searching for some time and have only found quality leather/rubber straps but nothing grosgrain. [​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

On your plate, it looks like you have two hamsters on your plate. How much does a plate of crispy rodent go for?
    ahhh - ok, I thought you were refering to the watches rather than the avatar...confused me sorry. Actually theyre basically rats. Kind of a seasonal delicacy - it's a field mouse that people eat at a certain time of the year (something to do with the grain season in the Mekong Delta). Here is the full pic... [​IMG] No idea what they cost actually. If I had to guess, 10000-15000 dong...between 60 and 90 cents each.

9. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

ahhh - ok, I thought you were refering to the watches rather than the avatar...confused me sorry. Actually theyre basically rats. Kind of a seasonal delicacy - it's a field mouse that people eat at a certain time of the year (something to do with the grain season in the Mekong Delta). Here is the full pic... [​IMG] No idea what they cost actually. If I had to guess, 10000-15000 dong...between 60 and 90 cents each.
    Did you get treated?

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

nah, I have never tried it. This pic is from a Facebook group pretty much devoted to snapshots of the stuff we all see every day here.

12. Beta

Beta Senior member

Marina Militare if thats your style.

13. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

+1 on the Seiko 5

You can also find the Seiko Monster diver's watch for about $150, if you want to spend just a bit more.

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Wow, I come here looking for some ideas on inexpensive watches and I find Deep Fried Rat...most disturbing. The Seiko 5's intrigue me, would it be easy to convert a 5 to a Leather Strap rather than the Bracelet? Such as this one: [​IMG] Edit* Would likely go for something darker though. Just an example.

15. twotrey

twotrey Senior member