• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite suit

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was wearing my favorite suit yesterday and I began asking myself why it was my favorite. I mean, it is not my best fitting suit, it doesn't get as many compliments as some of the others. In fact, it is hard to match suitorial accouterments with it, so why is it my favorite? I have no idea, but I wanted to ask some members, what is your favorite suit and why? Is it correlated to cost, fit, color? I think it would be fun to hear some people's feelings.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to pinpoint that as well. My favourite suit certainly isn't my most expensive, best-looking or best-fitting suit. However, I constantly find myself picking it out of the closet to wear.

The only thing I can come up with is that it is probably my most comfortable suit, I feel completely at ease when wearing it. It also has a cloth I really, really like - a rather dry, mid-grey birdseye that can be matched with just about anything...

Last edited:

bertie

Reaction score
I have a blue PoW flannel that I wear disproportionately. Not my best fitting at all and one of my oldest. However, the shade of blue is lighter than navy and would look too bright in any other fabric but in flannel it looks great and works with my (mostly grey) hair. Plus I love flannel.

Reaction score
Great question! I think my favorite suit is my favorite because of how it feels on me. It definitely Isn't my best fitting suit but I find it more comfortable then my best fitted one. Also, I love the color of my favorite suit especially paired with my favorite pair of light gray pants. My favorite suite gives me confidence and makes me feel as if I can conquer whatever comes my way that day!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Charcoal grey single breasted. I like enough that after I ordered it, I then ordered another pair of pants. This paired with black cap toes, a white french cuffed shirt and light blue dot tie has me feeling like a Baws.

I actually had someone stop me on the street to ask directions to some place that I had never heard of. I asked why they stopped me specifically and response was that I looked like I knew where I was going. lol.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your "best fitting" suit isn't your most comfortable, I think something's wrong
confused.gif

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your "best fitting" suit isn't your most comfortable, I think something's wrong :confused:

I think comfort transcends fit. You can have two equally well-fitting suits, but where one of them feels much more comfortable than the other. It could be the weight and feel of the suiting that differs, a colour that is just right for you that makes you more comfortable etc etc.

I my case my favourite suit is by no means bad-fitting, it is just that I have newer suits that fit even better better. But that old suit is just more "worn-in"......

Last edited:

jhilla

Reaction score
I guess I'll go ahead and be the first one to say my favorite suit happens to be the one that fits me best. But that isn't the only reason I like it.

I love that the fabric bounces back and holds a crease very well. I love the weight of the fabric. I love that it's a ready to wear jacket and has been going strong for over 5 years with weekly wear (sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week). I love the shoulder on it - soft but not unstructured, it also falls right at my natural shoulder with a high armhole making it very easy for me to move around in it. All of these things combined make it my favorite. Also, the fact that it's a mid gray allows it to be worn with almost anything.

jhilla

Reaction score
I should add that it's by no means my most expensive suit. It's just performed admirably.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think comfort transcends fit. You can have two equally well-fitting suits, but where one of them feels much more comfortable than the other. It could be the weight and feel of the suiting that differs, a colour that is just right for you that makes you more comfortable etc etc.

I my case my favourite suit is by no means bad-fitting, it is just that I have newer suits that fit even better better. But that old suit is just more "worn-in"......

Exactly, but that's talking about two equally well fitting suits - if your most comfortable suit is not your best fitting suit, or at least one of them, that's when something's wrong, IMO.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single-breast, 2 button, medium grey, approx. 2.5" notch

It's my favorite because it looks the best, but it's also the most comfortable. It's slim and has a great silhouette, but it doesn't feel restrictive or tight. The sleeves on otr jackets are always too tight on my biceps, pecs and back or they're too full. I love the shoulders; they have just the right amount of padding and shape. The button stance is nice and low. I don't like the high stances on a lot of the suits that I see. I didn't buy the suit otr.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly, but that's talking about two equally well fitting suits - if your most comfortable suit is not your best fitting suit, or at least one of them, that's when something's wrong, IMO. 

I know we're splitting hairs here, but the point I tried to make earlier is that comfort is not necessarily just how the suit feels on you when you wear it - but also how you feel when wearing it. You can have a perfect fitting suit, but let's say you are not perfectly happy with the colour (just for arguments sake). You could end up being less comfortable wearing that suit than one that is less well-fitting but with the perfect colour. But I guess it depends on how one defines comfort.....

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, we were talking about different points of view. it's not a matter of who's right. and the conversation is on point with this thread's premise. this reply to your comment is, in fact, more of a derailment.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tend to agree. If anything was ill fitting about my suit I'd never be able to say I'm fully comfortable in it because I'd be too pre-occupied thinking about what I need to have altered.

To me, having my favorite color and fabric wouldn't be enough if something was fundamentally wrong with the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads