1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite shirts brand?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Pierre

Pierre Member

I said I like Figaret shirts style. If they are not conservative so be it. I don't like stripes and squares on my shirts. I like them plain (I thought plain was conservative but I don't mind being excentric if this is what plain is).

I specified my taste in shirt patterns as it explains I don't even know if Figaret matches patterns.

I guess you understand your syllogism is plain wrong as it starts with the wrong assumption (me liking conservatism for the sake of it).

Cheers,
    P.

Damn with all this chatting. I already loose too much time ironing shirts. No I loose some more talking about them.

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

Not with STRIPES

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

perhaps in the strictest utilitarian sense, yes...however, in questions of style, not only are very few people concerned primarily with stripping away anything non-utilitarian, but the definition of the word itself becomes slippery and (dare i say it) subjective. one man's utility is another man's folly. the gusset, for example: maybe for some it is a symbol. symbols can be seen as having utility - it engenders a confidence in the quality of the shirt, perhaps. or maybe it gives some meaning to the wearer, as a type of secret. (much like wearing boxers of some wild color or pattern.) of course carrying this logic to an extreme gives us the fashion victim who proudly displays gucci logos on every conceivable surface of his clothes and accessories. (i saw such a clown just yesterday, sad to see.) i think there is an acceptable, even appropriate, level of non-utilitarian 'ornament' if you will, in being well-dressed. the key in terms of classic gentlemen's style could be the intersection of confident self-expression with restrained understatement. (or 'understated restraint'? [​IMG] ) personally i enjoy seeing some 'useless' details that describe some vestigial function or simply create a more aesthetic appearance (ties, anyone? jacket sleeve buttons...button-down collars...etc. the list is long.) /andrew

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

...deeper point is that you are not getting anything of *value* from the increased cost of production.
    perhaps in the strictest utilitarian sense, yes...however, in questions of style, not only are very few people concerned primarily with stripping away anything non-utilitarian, but the definition of the word itself becomes slippery and (dare i say it) subjective. one man's utility is another man's folly. the gusset, for example: maybe for some it is a symbol. symbols can be seen as having utility - it engenders a confidence in the quality of the shirt, perhaps. or maybe it gives some meaning to the wearer, as a type of secret. (much like wearing boxers of some wild color or pattern.) of course carrying this logic to an extreme gives us the fashion victim who proudly displays gucci logos on every conceivable surface of his clothes and accessories. (i saw such a clown just yesterday, sad to see.) i think there is an acceptable, even appropriate, level of non-utilitarian 'ornament' if you will, in being well-dressed. the key in terms of classic gentlemen's style could be the intersection of confident self-expression with restrained understatement. (or 'understated restraint'? Â [​IMG] ) personally i enjoy seeing some 'useless' details that describe some vestigial function or simply create a more aesthetic appearance (ties, anyone? jacket sleeve buttons...button-down collars...etc. the list is long.) /andrew
    It is not proved that gusset has no use.... I know you have severals type of gussets, some are just for fun and some plays in the quality of stiching. Check on kabaze website...

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

Albert Golberg from Faconnable have got fantastic fabrics but @ 150 euros at least.

But collars and cuffs are fused, no split yoke, italian collar.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Well, here's my $0.02.

- Eton slim-fit "trend" shirts are the best MTM shirts I've found. For some reason, they fit me perfectly, are stylish, have MOP buttons, and are produced from a specially woven fabric that requires zero ironing. Perfect.
    - For pure price/performance, Janzten is the hands-down winner.
    - For funkier styles I prefer Paul Smith over Etro.

My failed experiments in shirts include:

- Literally dozens of shirts I had made by a guy in Boston. Well constructed, but poorly fit. I didn't know any better at the time.
    - An abortive attempt to try custom at New & Lingwood. The reference shirt they made for me was so far off the mark in terms of fit I just gave up completely.

M#4

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

I think you're spot on, with all due respect to the notion that including these traditional elements shows a concern with "traditional quality" on the part of the shirtmaker. Frankly, nice buttons (perhaps handswen), single-needle stitching, and a nice fabric would go further in impressing me than a gussett and a split yoke on a RTW shirt. A RTW Charvet, at least the ones I've seen, do not feature a gussett or a split yoke, but the shirt is exquisitely made. Of course I'm a bit of a Francophile (and Anglophile), so perhaps I'm biased. [​IMG]

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

From my meagre experience: RTW: Attolini, Borrelli (from the boutique, not the ones made for department stores), and Barba. Custom: I have one Kiton custom that I adore, and I've heard wonderful things about Maffeis (of which I have a RTW), and Battistoni (of which I also have a RTW). Wish I would've gotten at least ONE Matuozzo the last time I was in Naples [​IMG] koji

9. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I'm sorry you had to deal with that jerk of a sales clerk.

Ike Behar certainly isn't "the best," but I think they're nothing to raise a nostril at, either. It's a fine RTW shirt, especially at the Marshall's/TJMaxx discount. I own two, one purchased at $25 the other at $16. That's value for the money.

Behar ties, by the way, are also an excellent value for ~$16 at Marshall's/TJMaxx.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

An abortive attempt to try custom at New & Lingwood. The reference shirt they made for me was so far off the mark in terms of fit I just gave up completely.

I had the same with liste rouge..... And with another "tailor". Whats why I were so happy to find H&K.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

12. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Barba Borrelli Thomas Pink (leave me alone [​IMG]

13. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

I picked up quite a few Behar shirts and ties this week at Nordstrom Rach for $9.99 each. I was very please at the bang for the buck.

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

15. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

What do you mean?

In French you said (to the best of my knowledge of French)

J'Ã[​IMG]tais

16. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 01 July 2004, 11:20) I was
    What do you mean? In French you said (to the best of my knowledge of French) J'Ã[​IMG]tais
    I made a mistake in my message before by writting : I were so I amend