1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite restaurant, period.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by imageWIS, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Best place I've eaten: The Dieter Müller restaurant in Schlosshotel Lerbach, outside Cologne. The style is pretentious, but for once, it's with some justification.

And I really like the unpretentiousness of Le Boudin Blanc in Trebeck Street in London.

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Hands down the most consistent, wonderful and tastey food I have ever had. Bruce Moffett is a CIA trained chef, and his small restaurant is Zagat's Top Rated '03,'04, & '05. Business or pleasure, we return here for every occasion when gourmet food is the first priority.

My worst and most expensive meal was at Citronelle. They had a scallop ceviche appetizer. It was the most foul thing I ever tasted. The dining room is nothing special and the food was not transcendent.

Have wanted to try Inn at Little Washington.

WD-50: Tried to get a group of co-workers to go to, but they are not adventurous. I will try your others when I go back to NYC.

I've never had a bad experience at Citronelle, though I have to admit I put it on the list because I thought the D.C. section needed a little trad and couldn't think of anything else. Most of the really great restaurants in the area are located an hour or so outside of D.C. (and luckily, most within 15 minutes driving distance for me): Inn at Little Washington (best restaurant in the country), L'Auberage Provencale, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Ashby Inn (Brian Pellatt came from One Block West, a very local favorite), The Rail Stop, Aster, etc.

WD-50 is amazing (as is anyting Vongerichten attaches himself to). If you ever get a chance try the corned duck. Una Pizza Napoletana is just pizza...however I think it's general consensus among the chowhounds that it's the best, most authentic pizza in the country (certainly the best I've ever eaten; puts Grimaldi's to shame).

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Really? I've never been a fan of anything but the breakfast.

Love the hot browns.

4. AlexP415

AlexP415 Well-Known Member

I'll have to go with Jardiniere in San Francisco. I could eat there every night.

Bouchon - the poor-man's version of "The French Laundry" - Napa, CA

As to this quote, I certainly felt like a poor man after I paid my bill! Wonderful food, however. [​IMG]

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Sunday brunch at L'Orangerie in Omotesando is also very nice... If I remember correctly Chinese Cafe Eight (open 24 hours) in Roppongi has a whole Peking duck for like $2000 yen. That is completely awesome. Always wanted to try brunch at New York Bar at the Park Hyatt Shinjuku. [​IMG]

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever been to Le Louis XV?

8. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

The best meals I've ever had have been at Daniel, but as far as food combined with a more fun and less stuffy atmosphere (casual dress), I LOVE Blue Ribbon in NYC. All of the Blue Ribbon restaurants are good(BR sushi, BR bakery), but I'm talking about the original.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever been to Le Louis XV?
    Yes. I thought it was good but not up to the level of some of the 3-star restaurants in Paris. The only one outside of Paris that compares, for me, is Beurheisel in Strasbourg. Dining in Paris is not as good as it was 12 years ago. Robuchon/Jamin is gone and nothing even comes within two miles of being as good.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yes. I thought it was good but not up to the level of some of the 3-star restaurants in Paris. The only one outside of Paris that compares, for me, is Beurheisel in Strasbourg.

Dining in Paris is not as good as it was 12 years ago. Robuchon/Jamin is gone and nothing even comes within two miles of being as good.

I suppose alot of the allure of LLV is the mediterreanean nature of their cuisine, and seasonality probably plays a large role in that. I ate there during truffle season and it was divine.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

nice thread.

While Ive certainly eaten in "better" places, my favorite restaurant is still Smokehouse Pizza in Melbourne.

Love the food, love the owners, love the feel of the place.

12. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

C & F Restaurant, Road Town, Tortola, BVI

13. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cafe Claude, San Francisco - perfect for any occasion

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

Bobcat Bite, just outside of Santa Fe on Old Las Vegas Highway....

Two Lights lobster shack in Cape ELizabeth, ME....

A little cafe/seafood restaurant near othe 'harbor' on Stromboli in the Aeolian Isalnds, off the coast of Sicily....

Inn at Thorn Hill, Jackson, New Hampshire....

A small tratorria, off the Viale Angelico near the Stadio Olimpico, Rome...

No Michelin stars, just places where I have enjoyed some wonderful meals in a relaxed setting w/ the people who mean the most to me. You greeted by the proprietors who will genuinely care that you enjoy your meal [​IMG]

16. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

You greeted by the proprietors who will genuinely care that you enjoy your meal [​IMG]

17. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
    You know, Domaine Hudson's pretty high on my list...[​IMG]

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I ate at Dahlia Lounge when I went to Seattle, and I loved the atmosphere. Food was pretty good.

Dine, which is in Saratoga Springs, is divine. The menu is to die for.

19. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

The Red Osier, Stafford, NY

Mammoth cuts of prime rib in a comfortable, upscale establishment out in the country. It's a bit of a drive, but the rural scenery and consistently outstanding food make every journey worthwhile.

20. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I couldn't say my favourite as I only ate there for the first time last week, but Smith and Wollensky in NYC did an excellent NY cut. I'm still thinking about it now.