• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite place in Hong Kong

rickimky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
The coffee pudding is best, I think.

Have you ever been to Mido Cafe in Kowloon? It is an old cafe that is rather run-down but has a great atmosphere. Get the Spare Ribs Baked Rice and some milk tea. The area around there is old and interesting...good for photos.

+ 1 on Mido Cafe

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
facepalm.gif

personally I consider Cantonese to be the worst cuisine in Asia, and Ive tried everything from top'o'town fine dining to home cooked meals to the 'most famous' gutter dives in Hong Kong...its only possible rival to the crown of Asia's Worst is Khmer.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a 'cuisine' it is probably one of my least favourites as well but there are some amazing redeming features.

i cant think of any cuisines of which i would entirely write off, maybe some of the eastern european ones which use potato in everything, but thats only because im not a fan of potato.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
personally I consider Cantonese to be the worst cuisine in Asia, and Ive tried everything from top'o'town fine dining to home cooked meals to the 'most famous' gutter dives in Hong Kong...its only possible rival to the crown of Asia's Worst is Khmer.

eh? cantonese trumps most filipino and indonesian dishes imho.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dim sum alone makes cantonese far better than loads of cuisines.

indonesian can be good if you like dried fish and rich curries.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I really like Indonesian. Used to eat it a lot in Singapore with an Indo expat reporter who lived there. Really like it. You are right about Filipino....I am no expert in it (probably only had it 3 or 4 times) but it sits with Khmer and Canto at the bottom of my list.

Khmer isn't baaaaaaad I guess. Not like Cantorancid. It's just assbland. It's Thai with all flavors removed...but anyhow, those are my bottom three.

Totakeke

Reaction score
The Indonesian Ayam or Ikan (Chicken or Fish) Penyet is quite nice, otherwise the ones that I see don't exactly offer much variety.

Seymour

Reaction score
To each his own, but Cantonese cuisine is generally recognized as the most 'refined' of the distinct Chinese sub-cuisines, and many of the top chefs in the Chinese culinary scene are Cantonese chefs. If you have tried bad Hong Kong 'fast' food, so be it. But I think it is quite a stretch to be denigrating it as "the worst cuisine in Asia".

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
dude read the post. I never mentioned 'bad fast food' I mentioned the street food places that locals rave about. I mentioned home cooking.

I spent two years with a HK Chinese girl who took me to everything from ' to some of the finest dining places on the island, and worked in a regional role that had me there ~1 week a month for a year, and then visited basically monthly for the next 2 as a I worked my way through a long distance relationship.

In that time, I have not only been home-cooked for dozens of times, and not only hit up 'bad fast food', but I have launched fine dining Cantonese restaurants in some of the world's leading hotels/ I have brought in some of the most famous chefs from HK to various new countries, I've led media cooking classes with HK chefs in hand-pulling noodles. I've hosted events in some of the most exclusive spots in the country with custom designed menus by supposed culinary legends....and even then, I end up walking out having eaten the bare minimum required by politeness (since I probably wrote the press release raving about the virtuoso chef's brilliance) and gone outside for a cheeseburger.

So...if HK isn't Asia's worst cuisine, then what is?

Monaco

Reaction score
I don't favor Canto cuisine, too salty and sweet with tons of oil and starch to make it shiny and gooey, I much prefer Si Chuan and Hunan style cooking.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So...if HK isn't Asia's worst cuisine, then what is?

the ones I mentioned earlier, and fujian cuisine comes to mind.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
the ones I mentioned earlier, and fujian cuisine comes to mind.

HK cuisine is better than northern Chinese I'd say. vinegar noodles, Ma la xiang guo, everything in **** tons of oil with pounds of inedible la jiao and bones.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I've spent a bit of time in Beijing (and Shanghai too for that matter) although admittedly not for over 7 years....I prefered the cuisine in both to that of HK, but that said, I am far from an expert on their cuisines. Most of the Shanghainese food I have had has been in HK come to think of it. It's OK. Some decent fusion takes on traditional dishes there. Used to frequent a private kitchen that was pretty good...

redzapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seymour
To each his own, but Cantonese cuisine is generally recognized as the most 'refined' of the distinct Chinese sub-cuisines, and many of the top chefs in the Chinese culinary scene are Cantonese chefs.

+1

I personally think Cantonese steamed fish is one of the best dishes around.

redzapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Here are a couple:

For good Cantonese I strongly recommend Tai Woo http://www.taiwoorestaurant.com/eng/index.htm . They have a couple locations but I prefer the Causeway Bay one. The salt-baked chicken is the must-have dish and their other signature dishes are also excellent with the exception of the "juicy stewed beef" dish that was somewhat disappointing..

Salt-baked chicken is technically a Hakka dish not Cantonese.

The best salt-baked chicken on the island is supposedly served at some restaurant in North Point.

Apologies for the double post. Didn't see the above post until later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads