1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite place in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by spb_lady, Aug 26, 2010.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

So...if HK isn't Asia's worst cuisine, then what is?

the ones I mentioned earlier, and fujian cuisine comes to mind.

2. Eason

Eason Senior member

the ones I mentioned earlier, and fujian cuisine comes to mind.

HK cuisine is better than northern Chinese I'd say. vinegar noodles, Ma la xiang guo, everything in shit tons of oil with pounds of inedible la jiao and bones.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

I've spent a bit of time in Beijing (and Shanghai too for that matter) although admittedly not for over 7 years....I prefered the cuisine in both to that of HK, but that said, I am far from an expert on their cuisines. Most of the Shanghainese food I have had has been in HK come to think of it. It's OK. Some decent fusion takes on traditional dishes there. Used to frequent a private kitchen that was pretty good...

4. redzapper

redzapper Senior member

To each his own, but Cantonese cuisine is generally recognized as the most 'refined' of the distinct Chinese sub-cuisines, and many of the top chefs in the Chinese culinary scene are Cantonese chefs.

+1

I personally think Cantonese steamed fish is one of the best dishes around.

5. redzapper

redzapper Senior member

Here are a couple:

For good Cantonese I strongly recommend Tai Woo http://www.taiwoorestaurant.com/eng/index.htm . They have a couple locations but I prefer the Causeway Bay one. The salt-baked chicken is the must-have dish and their other signature dishes are also excellent with the exception of the "juicy stewed beef" dish that was somewhat disappointing..

Salt-baked chicken is technically a Hakka dish not Cantonese.

The best salt-baked chicken on the island is supposedly served at some restaurant in North Point.

Apologies for the double post. Didn't see the above post until later.

6. Seymour

Seymour Well-Known Member

Like I said, to each his own.

dude read the post. I never mentioned 'bad fast food' I mentioned the street food places that locals rave about. I mentioned home cooking.

I spent two years with a HK Chinese girl who took me to everything from ' to some of the finest dining places on the island, and worked in a regional role that had me there ~1 week a month for a year, and then visited basically monthly for the next 2 as a I worked my way through a long distance relationship.

In that time, I have not only been home-cooked for dozens of times, and not only hit up 'bad fast food', but I have launched fine dining Cantonese restaurants in some of the world's leading hotels/ I have brought in some of the most famous chefs from HK to various new countries, I've led media cooking classes with HK chefs in hand-pulling noodles. I've hosted events in some of the most exclusive spots in the country with custom designed menus by supposed culinary legends....and even then, I end up walking out having eaten the bare minimum required by politeness (since I probably wrote the press release raving about the virtuoso chef's brilliance) and gone outside for a cheeseburger.

So...if HK isn't Asia's worst cuisine, then what is?

7. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

Have you ever been to Mido Cafe in Kowloon? It is an old cafe that is rather run-down but has a great atmosphere. Get the Spare Ribs Baked Rice and some milk tea. The area around there is old and interesting...good for photos.
    wow, sounds really nice! i will try it this time, thanx! [​IMG]
    Who goes on Wednesday to Friday, huh? Some of us have to work during the week [​IMG] Let me know if you want to play with my GF while you're there, though [​IMG]
    i'm coming for work too, that's why during the week this time... though i'll be probably free half of the day on Saturday (have flight at 4 or 5) i will be glad to take Sofi out... i'm sure she also hasn't been to that Mido Cafe yet [​IMG] We can try it together.
    dim sum alone makes cantonese far better than loads of cuisines.
    I wasn't very successful with dim sum also... i'm a loser in terms of cantonese food [​IMG]

8. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I wasn't very successful with dim sum also... i'm a loser in terms of cantonese food [​IMG]

Successful? As in "successful in flagging down the cart-person" or successful as in you couldn't successfully finish a meal?

9. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

Successful? As in "successful in flagging down the cart-person" or successful as in you couldn't successfully finish a meal?

first variant [​IMG]

actually we did it one day together with Matt... we've chosen a very local tea house which was crowded by people and we sat near the wall which meant that every time all the dishes were escaping faster than we managed to ask for them [​IMG]

so we left hungry, but satisfied with a very weird cultural experience [​IMG]

10. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

first variant [​IMG]

actually we did it one day together with Matt... we've chosen a very local tea house which was crowded by people and we sat near the wall which meant that every time all the dishes were escaping faster than we managed to ask for them [​IMG]

so we left hungry, but satisfied with a very weird cultural experience [​IMG]

[​IMG] yeah, flagging down the cartswomen can be a challenge if you do not act agressively, especially if you are unfamiliar with the practice.

11. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

[​IMG] yeah, flagging down the cartswomen can be a challenge if you do not act agressively, especially if you are unfamiliar with the practice.

yes, it seems that i'm just not skilled enough[​IMG]

by the way... can anybody share a decent place for dim sum in HK?

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

the funny part about that was we picked one out of a guidebook that fell in the path of our natural travels for the day, and it turned out to be a place that I had been to with my ex in Sheung Wan (not all that far from where she used to live in Kennedy Town). She used to insist it was one of the best places on the island. The fact that it was absolutely rammed to the point where you couldn't get a seat at any table for all the locals tends to mirror her claim about its apparent quality. We tried half a dozen things off the cart and still walked away hungry and with plenty of half eaten chunks of the sub edible on our plates.

13. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

hey guys, time to go for me soon... i changed my tickets a bit so will be in HK from 3d to 6th, but my flight away on 6th is later now, that's why i will be free for half of a day for sure.

anybody in HK during this time? [​IMG]

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

I'll be in HK the night of the 5th to the 7th... But I'm otherwise engaged on the 6th until the evening. [​IMG]

15. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

I'll be in HK the night of the 5th to the 7th... But I'm otherwise engaged on the 6th until the evening. [​IMG]

bad boy [​IMG]

anyway... send my warm greetings to the squirrel! [​IMG]

16. Eason

Eason Senior member

if you want to play with her, I think she's looking for a play-date buddy 3rd-5th

17. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

if you want to play with her, I think she's looking for a play-date buddy 3rd-5th
    you're embarassing me with the word "play".... [​IMG] but yes, i like squirrel, will send her a message on FB then [​IMG]

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

Excerrent. though I believe she's more Koala than squirrel

19. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

Excerrent. though I believe she's more Koala than squirrel

yeah, it might be that she's a squirrel only when drunk [​IMG] i'll check this out

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

OK...now I have to know...what is this "squirrel" you guys keep talking about?