• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite marketing campaigns that play to the stupidity of consumers

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Political campaigns included.

My favorite is the carb-free beer craze of a few years ago. I suppose people didn't realize that reducing the number of carbs from 5 to 2 in a beer is only reduces the number of calories by 12. Not to mention, it is generally correlated with beer than has lower alcoholic content to begin with. Also, do people not know that a gram of alcohol has 7 calories compared to 4 for carbs, making it even less meaningful to say a beer is low-carb.

What are your favorite marketing campaigns for stupid people?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty much every advertising campaign ever

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The commercials that tell consumers to ignore what they've been subliminally programmed to desire through commercials and to buy their product instead.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
The commercials that tell consumers to ignore what they've been subliminally programmed to desire through commercials and to buy their product instead.

Haha are you talking about the Audi commercials that have been playing during football all day?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Haha are you talking about the Audi commercials that have been playing during football all day?

I like the one about competition and the Car & Driver tests. Am I a stupid consumer?
frown.gif

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha.. one of my favorites is the toyota one where they say they "invested 100 million dollars every hour in making you safe" or something like that. I scoffed because they never tell you the length of this. It could be 100 million dollars every hour... for one hour or whatever.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
haha.. one of my favorites is the toyota one where they say they "invested 100 million dollars every hour in making you safe" or something like that. I scoffed because they never tell you the length of this. It could be 100 million dollars every hour... for one hour or whatever.

wat.jpg

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where the two dudes in suits say "We've been told hollow status symbols are the goal" as they walk to their Mercedes...

Then the Audi comes on screen...WTF, it's another foreign luxury car!?!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYPD: Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i loved the one a few years for KFC when they called their chicken the protein diet. They eventually got sued and changed it because its still FRIED CHICKEN

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wat.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

100 million dollars every hour? for how many hours?
tongue.gif
(this commercial started airing on right before the brake failures)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

100 million dollars every hour? for how many hours?
tongue.gif
(this commercial started airing on right before the brake failures)

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...llar-question/

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Flu Shot. I've never seen it so advertised as this year. It's everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads