• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite lining

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
OK, if you are game, I would like an explanation of how lining affects the fit. This one has me stumped.
I must have explained badly. I was trying to say that when I switched to suits that actually fit, I also switched to silk, so I am unable to compare Bemberg and silk in a useful way.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am not sure my observation about the slipperiness is all that useful. Since I started getting bespoke suits, I have been using silk. They fit me better and are unlikely to slip anyway, so that could be the difference. My previous suits had bemberg, but did not fit as well.

Unlined sleeves are nice for cotton and linen, but not so good for wool. At least, that is what I have been told.

Does R. prefer silk? Does he steer customers towards it?

I agree that for cotton and linen unlined sleeves would work - at least it does on my ones. I imagine that it could be done with "dry" wools such as frescos and mohair blends. I am sure my tailor would raise his eyebrows if I suggested it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I must have explained badly. I was trying to say that when I switched to suits that actually fit, I also switched to silk, so I am unable to compare Bemberg and silk in a useful way.
Ah, OK.

Originally Posted by Sator
I imagine that it could be done with "dry" wools such as frescos and mohair blends. I am sure my tailor would raise his eyebrows if I suggested it.

A friend of mine got a heavy mohair/wool, fresco weave, completely unlined. He loves it. I have the same cloth, not made up. Maybe I will try it.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a heavy mohair/wool, fresco weave, completely unlined. He loves it. I have the same cloth, not made up. Maybe I will try it.

I'd be interested to see how it goes. I might consider it for the next southern hemisphere summer. I am pulling out lengths of Lesser 13 and 16 Oz worsteds from storage at the moment.

I've yet to try a mohair-wool fresco. Does it run cooler than pure wool fresco?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Haven't worn it myself. He says it's fine if there's a breeze, death in still air and warm weather.

I don't know the weight, but it's heavy. I would say 14 or so. It's going to be sort of a novelty suit for me. The sheen says "summer" but the weight says "fall." There's no way I could wear it in summer, no matter how porous it is.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is slippery bad for a lining? Intuitively, I would think that the more slippery the lining the better, allowing more fluidity with body movements.

For example, my 1/2, 1/4 and unlined coats can sometimes bunch in the back from the friction with my shirt or waistband - a bemberg-lined back never does that and always fall nicely

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have two, but they are like 8 oz, so I am sure they wouldn't interest the two of you. Nevertheless, they do wear cool.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have two, but they are like 8 oz, so I am sure they wouldn't interest the two of you.

rolleyes.gif
Don't confuse me with Mr. Frock Coat is Fine at the Beach. I like heavy cloth, but not in summer. I have 8 ounce mohairs that I love, 8 ounce tropicals that I love, and 8/9 frescos that I love. I just don't have any lightweight mohair frescos.

You have an advantage in that you can get Woodehouse easily, and they make a lot of killer lightweight cloth for the Italian market. The only time it turns up over here is in odd bolts at Tip Top. When I see it, I buy it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Woodehouse is in the GRM line. The twills say Woodehouse on the book and the other cloths are under the GRM name.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why is slippery bad for a lining? Intuitively, I would think that the more slippery the lining the better, allowing more fluidity with body movements.

For example, my 1/2, 1/4 and unlined coats can sometimes bunch in the back from the friction with my shirt or waistband - a bemberg-lined back never does that and always fall nicely

^^^

Does this make any sense or am I just showing my ignorance level again?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
^^^

Does this make any sense or am I just showing my ignorance level again?

No, that's what I thougt too. Slippery is the whole point. With unlined or half lined, the advantage is coolness, but the disadvantage is they might stick a little bit, and they wrinkle a little worse.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, that's what I thougt too. Slippery is the whole point. With unlined or half lined, the advantage is coolness, but the disadvantage is they might stick a little bit, and they wrinkle a little worse.

I feel cooler in summer wearing batiste, linen or voile shirts than the amount of lining in my jacket.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Once, I made the stupid mistake of using a very thin cotton as a lining for a summer suit. I was thinking it be more breathable, which it was, but the fabric constantly bunched and got caught on my shirts.

This was a full-lining but I would be interested to see how half and quarter linings would work. Would a linen or cotton suit that is half lined have the same problems with bunching? Perhaps the half-lined approach only works in less fitted garments?

Kaizen

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good source for more unusual lining fabrics? I'd like find some with a fleur de lis pattern, especially if it's a deep red.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads