1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite Kung Flu flick

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by javyn, May 17, 2006.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

...as if someone wanted to remake The Seven Samurai.....
    [​IMG] You people need to shield me from such things! I mean a rip off of Shichinin no Samurai is one thing but a remake....AAAAAAAAARGH! P.s. Kurosawa was a big fan of Tom Ford's work.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Let us also remember that several of Kurosawa's greatest works were storylines cribbed from Shakespeare [​IMG] I've read that Kurosawa, though respected, isn't beloved in Japan because many saw him as a "Western" (as in the geography, not the genre) director. Nice avatar skalogre, I just watched Ikiru last night!

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Wachowski Brothers are Matrix, not Weinstein, right?

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Wachowski Brothers are Matrix, not Weinstein, right?

Ah good call. I was temporarily confused by my hatred for the idea of remaking Seven Samurai.

But the Matrix(s) still sucked.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Let us also remember that several of Kurosawa's greatest works were storylines cribbed from Shakespeare [​IMG] I've read that Kurosawa, though respected, isn't beloved in Japan because many saw him as a "Western" (as in the geography, not the genre) director. Nice avatar skalogre, I just watched Ikiru last night!
    Correct on both, Gorgekko [​IMG] . Throne of Blood is an adaptation of Macbeth. But Kurosawa adapted several Tolstoy stories, also, as welll as some films which were inspired by detective novellas. Many disparate sources. But he worked with the same scriptwriter(s) for decades - their tastes were rather eclectic. As for the western thing, that accussation was levelled against him many times. I believe Ozu is/was looked at as the archetype of a proper Japanese filmmaker, while Kurosawa was thought of as too western - diluted. My understanding is that a lot of it was due to domestic critics being uncomfortable with the success he had - and bemusement on how he could possibly be that Japanese in style if the foreign devils ( [​IMG] ) liked his work that much. In both his autobiography "Something like an autobiography" and "The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune " by Galbraith there are allussions to this fact. Don't remember exact quotes though. I do have another book on Kurosawa by a Japanese filmcritic/academician (don't remember the name) that I have not yet finished in whichy he does treat many of The Emperor's works in more dismissive terms... Oh, and Ikiru is one of ,if not, my favourite films of all times [​IMG] Edit: I should add that I have seen far too many of his films to offer an unbiased opinion but I do not think he is as "western" as the Japanese media made him out to be. He did indeed love French New Wave, film noir (which is basically a German genre made in USA) and old Westerns - all of which coloured his creations. Kurosawa had made digs in the past - in one case directed towards Ozu - regarding the conformity and blandness of the domestic productions. He did once mention that a lot of films at that time were like green tea over rice, which happens to be the name of an Ozu film. If I recall it correctly, that is something usually given to people when they are ill as it is very plain food... I have liked all of Ozu's films I have seen so far myself.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Ah good call. I was temporarily confused by my hatred for the idea of remaking Seven Samurai.

But the Matrix(s) still sucked.

I was checking for myself, as well. I heard about the Seven Samurai thing but I didn't think it was made by the Matrix bros. So I nearly flipped when I saw your comment. Not that it isn't bad enough in the first place...

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I probably have them on the brain because I just watched the Matrix 1&2 again the other day (they were on TV) to remind myself how much I hate those movies. Ugh.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm not ashamed to admit I thought The Matrix 1 was pretty good. Now suck would be Johnny Mnemonic, as much as I like William Gibson.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Yeah, nobody has been able to sucessfully capture the coolness of Gibson's work on film. I had High Hopes for New Rose Hotel, but despite having Asia Argento, Christopher Walken, and Willem Dafoe in it, and being directed by the guy who did King of New York, the movie sucked.

10. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Not exactly kung-fu, but enough:

[​IMG]

And I believe Shogun Assasin. IIRC, at the end of the film, he fights three assasins, and one talks about how he had always heard that if you made a perfect stike on the throat, you would only hear a whistling sound as the person dies. He then suffers this wound in conflict with the hero.

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i can't believe nobody mentioned 'snake in the eagle's shadow'

[​IMG]

plus, the REAL jackie chan movies:

wheels on meals
    [​IMG]

armor of god
    [​IMG]

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

and a classic early stephen chow braincell-killing masterpiece, the god of cookery he portrays a master chef exposed as a fake but was later trained by the legendary shaolin bronzemen and later achieved nirvana. crazy sh*t. [​IMG]

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

ugh.

Don't even get me started. First the blatant (and unauthorized rip off) that was The Magnificent Seven (even though it was enjoyable in its own right, it was basically STOLEN by Leone).

Leone made For a fistful of dollars ripping off Yojimbo. Sturges made the magnificent seven.

I like a lot of kung fu/chambara and general ass-kicking movies, notably classics like 36th chambers of shaolin or legend of the one armed swordsman. I recently rewatched the Hark classic The blade but it doesn't qualify as it's from 95.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Tokyo, a few years ago there was a bunch of hype about a Neuromancer film, but apparently it fell through. Do you have any knowledge/info on that?

count, I have all three of those Samurai movies but haven't watched them..how are they?

And if you liked Shogun Assassin you must see Lone Wolf & Cub. They cut up and condensed LW&C to make the Shogun Assassin film. I didn't bother with it; I opted to see the whole story with LW&C, which was amazing. I believe it is 6 90 minute episodes.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Tokyo, a few years ago there was a bunch of hype about a Neuromancer film, but apparently it fell through. Do you have any knowledge/info on that? count, I have all three of those Samurai movies but haven't watched them..how are they? And if you liked Shogun Assassin you must see Lone Wolf & Cub. They cut up and condensed LW&C to make the Shogun Assassin film. I didn't bother with it; I opted to see the whole story with LW&C, which was amazing. I believe it is 6 90 minute episodes.
    I can give you info on that. Looked very promising actually; the director was non other than Chris Cunningham (the twisted genius responsible for among other things, Rubber Johnny and many Aphex Twin video clips). It was shelved though quite some years ago. Gibson was happy with Cunningham being on board, too. Now I have tio disagree with SLim though regarding New Rose Hotel. I loved the story in Burning Chrome and I did like the way that the director took the non-linear approach of the story and put it to the film. If you notice, every time Dafoe remembers what happenned and tries to understand why she doublecrossed him, the details are slightly different; that was a big part of the story itself. Addendum: All three of those films on Musashi starring Mifune are pretty good. They are not up to the calibre of, say, "Seven Samurai", "Harakiri" (or "The Human Condition" trilogy) but they are still very good.

16. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The Proposition, albeit a bit south of kung fu

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Leone made For a fistful of dollars ripping off Yojimbo. Sturges made the magnificent seven.

Man, I'm on a roll. I really need to quit my job, its making my movie encyclopedia of a brain muddled and sloppy.

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Now I have tio disagree with SLim though regarding New Rose Hotel. I loved the story in Burning Chrome and I did like the way that the director took the non-linear approach of the story and put it to the film. If you notice, every time Dafoe remembers what happenned and tries to understand why she doublecrossed him, the details are slightly different; that was a big part of the story itself.
    I think my main problem with the movie is that that is my least favorite short in Burning Chrome. That and the lack of any type of Chemistry between the three leads. I dunno, it just did nothing for me, and the way it was shot didn't even give me any eye candy to look at. Pedestrian. I would love to make The Belonging Kind or Dogfight into a movie. In fact I would probably chop off my left pinkie for the honor.

19. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I think my main problem with the movie is that that is my least favorite short in Burning Chrome. That and the lack of any type of Chemistry between the three leads. I dunno, it just did nothing for me, and the way it was shot didn't even give me any eye candy to look at. Pedestrian.

I would love to make The Belonging Kind or Dogfight into a movie. In fact I would probably chop off my left pinkie for the honor.

You know, I actually liked the disjointedness there. Had a calm and at the same time stressed atmosphere. Now, before we go in to Yakuza-style pleads to film Gibson's stories ( [​IMG] ) I must say I would simultaneously love and hate to see "Fragments of a Hologram Rose" as a film. The Belonging Kind is a good choice though, too!

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member