Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Your favorite go-to suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by skehoe, Sep 13, 2012.

1. skehoe

skehoe New Member

My boyfriend is looking for a new decent suit (we have a wedding to attend at the end of the month) but isn't sure where exactly to go. He wants to look sharp and fitted, and he's a relatively slender guy so he could definitely pull off a more fitted suit. Any suggestions of where to go? What's everyone's favorite go-to suit?

Thanks!

2. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

I was going to say something snarky about how a gentleman should know how to select clothes, or at least ask for advice, without relying on his girlfriend. But it occurred to me that your boyfriend might know some other stuff that I don't know how to do, like do calculus. Everyone is good at something.

Therefore: He should go to a quality menswear store or at least a nice department store and buy a quality solid navy blue suit. It will last him through several weddings, funerals, fancy dinners, nights out on the town, job interviews, etc. He should buy a nice solid white shirt with a point (not button-down) collar. And he should buy a nice tie in either solid or a muted pattern.

If you compliment him on how he looks, maybe he'll start dressing smartly more often.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

how does he usually dress?

in a "classic/traditional" style? try:
    - Ralph Lauren Blue Label
    - Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald

or more of a "designer/sleek" style? try:
    - Jil Sander
    - Ralph Lauren Black Label

+1 on finding a quality menswear shop. In San Francisco, you can go by Barneys or Saks and try a bunch of suits to get an idea of how different brands fit and look with his build. There are also Brooks and Ralph Lauren stores. If it's his only suit, consider solid gray or solid navy since they can be worn on a variety of occasions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

4. skehoe

skehoe New Member

He's not much of an internet guy so he wouldn't even think to come browsing through forums for this kind of information. I work with Styleforum as an Editorial Assistant so I figured I'd go straight to the horse's mouth about this stuff! [​IMG] You guys know your ****.

He has a navy suit, but it's old and he needs a fresh start with a great neutral, go-to suit. But I agree, I think he should stick with a navy suit, but a much better one that will last longer. Thanks for advice!

5. skehoe

skehoe New Member

Thanks for recommending some brands! He falls in between the sleek and classic styles, but definitely prefers a good fit. He won't just pick any suit (I give him a little credit [​IMG]), he wants that slim look to it.

6. ZickertM

ZickertM Member

What Rolex said. Go to a local quality store and take a look at the selection. Get an idea of his style and pick up a staple N
    avy or Grey

7. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Wilkes Bashford. It's under the Mitchell family of stores, excellent customer service, very high end offerings, and it's in San Fran.

http://wilkesbashford.com/

Depending on his budget:

• Isaia
    • Zegna (Fit Milano)
    • Samuelsohn (Gable Fit)
    • Ralph Lauren Black Label
    • Brooks Brothers (Milano Fit)

Or less expensive options:
    • John Varvatos
    • Boss Black

My favorite suit is my Samuelsohn but I have a Canali Kei sport coat that I love and a Zegna too.

8. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

Solid charcoal gray (but definitely not black) is also a good choice, but I'd lean toward that as a second suit, not an only suit. If he goes wild and wants a third suit, then he can think about pinstripes or glen plaid (maybe that's a fourth suit).

I forgot to mention shoes: With navy or charcoal, the safest choice is black oxfords. I prefer captoes myself, but that's just me. Please don't let him wear some square-toed monstrosity.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Good recommendations. But all of these can be had on the B&S subforum for much less than Wilkes Bashford

I personally like the Zegna Milano fit and Samuelsohn Gable

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

+1 on finding a quality menswear shop. In San Francisco, you can go by Barneys or Saks and try a bunch of suits to get an idea of how different brands fit and look with his build. There are also Brooks and Ralph Lauren stores. If it's his only suit, consider solid gray or solid navy since they can be worn on a variety of occasions.[/quote][quote name="Parker" url="/t/314950/your-favorite-go-to-suit#post_5741046"]
    ]how does he usually dress?
    in a "classic/traditional" style? try:
    - Ralph Lauren Blue Label
    - Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald
    or more of a "designer/sleek" style? try:
    - Jil Sander
    - Ralph Lauren Black Label

For the classical Trad/semi trad Check out The Hound on Sutter.
    They are the closest thing to Paul Stuart in San Francisco without
    the "attitude". Very knowledgeable sales staff . Not pushy.
    They have an excellent selection of Samuelsohn.

http://thehound.com/

11. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Some things:

1) How much will he be wearing this suit? 6 times per year? Multiple times per week?
    2) How much is he willing to spend?
    3) What's his build/physique like? (height, body type)

If he's not going to wear it that much, doesn't want to spend that much on it, and has a athletic or thin build I'm gonna go on and vouch for Hugo Boss IF, and only IF you can find 'em on a good discount(I've found them at 200$-300$). I know this is going against the grain here on SF, but HB has some of the best fits for slim and athletic guys. And the suits look sharp.

I was also going to suggest MTM, but I don't think those will make the time-frame in question...

If he's got more money to spend, there suddenly are more options. Ralph Lauren Black Label are pretty standard "go to" suits if you want sharp, fitting and a good touch of modern.
    But as others have said, he just has to go out and try.

I would steer away from the used B&S route(even though there's a lot of money to save), simply because:
    -Poor time frame
    -Sizing (It's not a beginners game...Easy to get burned)
    -There's probably gonna be some alterations involved

12. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Why not post a picture of him? That way we can try to estimate which brands would fit him based on his frame, size, and proportions.

13. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

That's very true but if you want selection in a timely manner it's best to go brick and mortar. If you have time to wait then go try the styles at Wilkes and then stalk the B/S forums for his size. I picked up a NWT Samuelsohn for under $400 a week or so back and that's certainly not a crazy deal around here. Just a fair price.... (strangely enough it was from Richards, another store from the Mitchels group)

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

On The Fly has a made to measure service for several brands including Southwick and Samuelson. They are in SF.

If he wants something a bit more modern, try MAC in SF (modern apparel clothing and not the makeup : ) They have some midnight blue trim fitting suits by Belvest and several other brands.

+1 for having a great fitting, quality, solid navy suit.

15. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

first, what is your budget?

if budget is not a problem, how about tailor a MTM shirt with best fitting on him

otherwise, you can go to the chain stores to find a suitable style that he wants

anyway, +1 for having a great fitting, quality, solid navy suit.