• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite designer jeans

flam

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of designer jeans, so i figured i'd ask the forum for any recommendations. What are your opinions of PD & C, Energie, Seven, Joe's Jeans, etc? I'm also curious to hear how they fit; e.g. from experience Energie seems to run on the small side, a 32 usually fits like a 31. Drop in your $0.02

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, owning pairs of Energie, PD&C, and Diesel, I can say that Energie runs true to size, while both Diesel and PD&C run a little large. For instance, I am by most standards a 32, however my PD&C jeans are size 31 (plus they stretch..) and my Diesel vary between 30 and 31. The Energie jeans I own are 32, and fit perfectly; no stretching either. If you're in a dillema between two sizes, I'd recommend the one thats slightly tighter, as opposed to the one that's a little loose. Jeans tend not to shrink, instead I've noticed them to strech a bit.

PD&C jeans are really cool, they're my favorite pair, although they won't last as long as say a pair of Diesels, which will last forever, like a pair of Levi's. IMO the men's Seven jeans look too much like the girls version for me to buy them. I also think they overdo the washing, and damn, are they lowriding.

VWpete

Reaction score
Well....
Diesel fit great and do last a long time... but lately I've been buying Seven because they fit me so well. There washes seem to be more natural for me and they fit my back end which is hard to do. I'm a 29-30 and have a hard time getting into PDC. I've found they run so big compared to the rest. Right now, Seven are the way to go for me (I bought a pair of their khaki's in jean cut because I like the fit so much.).
Pete

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diesel jeans look nice, and I don't know if you'll be able to find these, but G-Star and Buffalo make nice jeans too. Are you going for just plain jeans, or the distressed, worn look?

flam

Reaction score
I'm looking for distressed jeans, though nothing too over the top.

Part 2
I live in nyc so i was also wondering where they sell designer jeans. The only places i know of are bloomingdales, saks, atrium in soho, and of course if i'm going to get diesel-the diesel stores. any boutiques you guys favor?

VWpete

Reaction score
Barney's is my favorite for jeans... They carry Seven, Levi's Premium and Type-1,G-Star, PDC, AG, Joe's and higher end stuff like Dior (amazing black denim, but 400$ is absolutely ridiculous)... Something for everyone there. Mike C will probably chime in w/ some more jean destinations.
I can't wait. about 3 weeks til I move to NYC for the summer....
Pete

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flam: What's wrong with the stores you've mentioned. I too live in NYC (though not at the moment) and have bought jeans only from Bloomingdales and Atrium. Between those two stores they cover just about every brand I know of. If you want something really exclusive then try Jeffrey on 14th st. If anyone else know it's THC, he knows all the good boutiques in NY.

Pete: Did you get the apt. we were talking about? I'll be back in 2 weeks, I can't wait for the summer.

Michael

Reaction score
I've ranted and raved until I'm blue int he face about Mavi jeans, and I still will. They're light, made out of a strong denim, and each pair's made by hand, allbeit in Turkey. However, before I get yelled at by Steve, I'm fairly certain Turkey's got good labor laws. Oh yeah, and they're very reasonably priced, I think 55-75 US.

flam

Reaction score
Mike C.: Nothings wrong with those stores, I'm just curious to see if there were places I've been missing...

Michael: Btw, if you like mavi, you should check out JJ Turk in soho (nyc). It used to be the mavi store; the rumor goes that JJ was a designer for Mavi and has since struck out on his own. He has some unique designs compared to what you would otherwise find at your local Urban Outfitters.

VWpete

Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Yeah... I got the Village apt. we were talking about. My friends in the city gave it the thumbs up. It should be great. I'll just have to leave myself time to get to work on the Upper East Side. Thanks for your help buddy. Enjoy your final weeks in Florence.

Speaking of Mavi, I've tried as the price is great, but they fit me horribly. My body type needs a fitted, slim jean because I'm skinny and have no a**... Just didn't work. I wish some cheaper clothes would take in an inch here or there because it would help my wallet.

BTW--I'd stay away from Vivienne Westwood denim... bought some lightweight, lowrise black jeans on sale last summer and some stitching has come undone etc. I will not be back there for jeans.

Cheers,
Pete

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pete: Congrats on the apt. I hope you love that area as much as I did. Believe it or not, I have the same problem as you with jeans; no ass and skinny legs. The best fitting pair of jeans I've found are a pair of 2-TAT-71, New Retro PD&C. I don't even think they make this model anymore, or else I'd buy a few more pairs.

flam: Now that I think of it; there is Rogan on Mercer St. between Houston and Prince, right next to the Varvatos store, with the Earl store across the street. They have their own brand of jeans, which are pretty cool. Where is the the JJ Turk store exactly, I've never seen it before.

flam

Reaction score
The JJ Turk store is located on broome street and west broadway. Right around the corner from the Tommy Hilfiger store.

Michael

Reaction score
Mike C.: Nothings wrong with those stores, I'm just curious to see if there were places I've been missing... Michael: Btw, if you like mavi, you should check out JJ Turk in soho (nyc). Â It used to be the mavi store; the rumor goes that JJ was a designer for Mavi and has since struck out on his own. Â He has some unique designs compared to what you would otherwise find at your local Urban Outfitters.
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that next time I make the 20 hr drive to NYC.
tounge.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Jeeez, Mike, just 'cause I gave some guys a hard time doesn't mean I'd give it to everyone. I didn't care for the Forum being used as a commercial soap box given the circumstances.

It's every member's choice to care or not care about labor conditions. If I overstep boundaries in this regard just let me know.

I still don't get the fascination with jeans made from cotton that feels like a sail from an 18th century clipper ship. Give me the soft cotton of Zegna or Tommy Bahama. A vote from the Geezer (er, mature) demographic. TBs are made in Hong Kong BTW and retail for around $70.

thc

Reaction score
My favorite place for jeans is also Barneys. I personally wear Helmut Lang and Marc by Marc Jacobs. For me, they simply fit the best. Diesel jeans tend to run a bit big on me. Helmut Lang has good treated jeans in particular.

There's a Earl Jeans boutique in SoHo. Earl Jeans started making jeans for men. I've been curious about them since their womens jeans are so famous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads