Your favorite catalogs to browse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

We had a thread a few weeks ago about favorite websites to browse through (not necessarily shop), so what about hardcopy catalogs?

I recently received catalogs from Hilditch & Key and Ben Silver. The H&K was rather short and boring but the Ben Silver one is quite long -- over 50 pages I believe -- and filled with some very stunning ties and shirts. I've tossed the H&K catalog but am keeping the Ben Silver on my coffee table. Both had rather ugly British models though. The Ben Silver models in particular looked more like company employees than professional models (a la Wal-Mart).

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ben Silver is probably my favorite hard copy catalog. And it's my understanding that, yes, those are store employees, not professional models. Â [​IMG] Some of the shoe catalogs are nice, Crockett & Jones and the Edward Green fold out (alas, I don't have the nice one). I'd enjoy looking at a Paul Stuart catalog if they'd ever bother to send me one... [​IMG] Oh, and I do enjoy the Tyrwhitt catalog, mainly to see what combinations they put together.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Ben Silver is nice - but the one I truly enjoy is still L.L. Bean. Not that I necessarily dress that way anymore (although I certainly did in college) - but just the thought that if I wanted to, I could order up a kayak, a tent, a mountain bike, some flannel shirts and some khakis, quit my job and just head up to the mountains to live.

4. arkirshner

arkirshner Well-Known Member

I like JPeterman for the merchandise, for the illustrations, and most of all for the writing.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Neiman Marcus' The Book is fun.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

The old LL Bean catalogs were great -- when they still had those paintings on the cover and no models inside the pages.

AlanC and I seem to represent the same demographic as Stuart never sent me a catalog (even though I've bought from them), nor did Green ever send me the their catalog.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Well, at least I'm in good company.

8. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Sierra Trading Post. i tell you they must have a team of people dedicated to cranking those suckers out.

-Jeff

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

(Horace @ July 01 2005,23:51) AlanC and I seem to represent the same demographic as Stuart never sent me a catalog (even though I've bought from them), nor did Green ever send me the their catalog.
    Well, at least I'm in good company.
    Me three.

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Just got my B&H Photo catalog yesterday. Oh sorry, wrong forum.... [​IMG]

11. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, I went to the BS site and so far I really like this tie: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...oot=1&show=223 And this is very nice: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=1 this one's starting to grow on me: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=2 and this one has a touch of uniqueness: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=7 and after looking at this one: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=8 I have to say that, once again, the selection of ties by various merchants makes it damn hard to decide. Â And, damn hard to keep that credit card in the wallet. Â [​IMG] Somehow, the link to the first one didn't work. Let's see if this works: http://www.bensilver.com/pt_neck....ay=5612

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Got my first Ben Silver catalog last week and enjoyed reading through it. It's my first choice, with Charles Tyrwhitt a close second. I like to get ideas on shirt-tie-cufflinks combinations from the Tyrwhitt catalogs.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I just requested a Tyrwhitt catalog. The form has a variety of salutations from which to choose, from Admiral to Herr Baron. I selected 'His Excellency.'

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

J Peterman was a guilty pleasure -- that florid pretentious prose was so honey sticky sweet, describing China-made copies of Ralph Fiennes' A&S Avengers finery or comparing Brigg umbrellas to the oil cap on a Bentley.

The Edward Green catalog is a great pleasure. Ditto for the Berluti booklet and the Crockett and Jones 2005-2006 catalog.

Smythson had a great catalog.

I like the Hilditch & Key's catalog but I'm biased.

15. kabert

kabert Senior member

Paul Stuart is my favorite. Ben Silver is pretty good too, but the pictures of clothes/shoes alone, rather than on the models, are generally the better pages. Some of the pictuers of young guys wearing blazers are terrible, with gaps between the collar and the neck, etc.