• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Airline

Trilby

Reaction score
With the talk of Aeroflot buying Alitalia, I can't decide if this would make the level of service on Alitalia go up or down.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traveling on US Air in a couple weeks to Florida. I normally take USAir, not on purpose though, they just seem to have the best rates where I end up going.

So far they've been ok. I've had one bag lost on a connection and had to be shipped to Georgia.

A second time our pilot was (lost?), the airport couldn't find him. So we had to wait 2hours for another pilot. When he showed up and we boarded the plane there was a mechanical failure with the pressure (everyone's ears hurt). We had to sit on the plane for an hour while mechanics fixed it there.

A third time we were stuck on the runway for around 2hrs, not sure the reasoning that time.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My absolute Fav. airline is VIRGIN ATLANTIC.
Everything Richard Branson touch turns into gold.
On-board Entertainment system is superb and was superb 5 years ago.
Food from London is excellent, wines are great as well.

Lufthansa is good for it's Teutonic punctuality, nothing else. Serving fish on a plane is marsupialed, so as serving broccoli.
Video entertainment is non-existed. On all flights originated in USA they still don’t' stock up on reading materials. They have dozens of magazines in German as if they were some local EU carrier. Seats on Lufthansa are horrid (so much for Recaro seats), stiff and narrow, good for sports car bad for travel.

American Airlines are the worst peace of crap i ever flew. Never again!

Swiss airline... Tsk tsk tsk, no wonder they went bankrupt.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A is my preferred domestic airline - probably because of all the benefits related to my freq flyer status, i.e. automatic upgrades very common. UA, Continental and Delta are a nightmare (especially Continental and its EWR hub - I just hate them profoundly)

Thai is my favorite international airline so far

For transatlantic flights, all airlines suck except for Virgin. I detest Lufthansa, even in business class. I dislike AA (except for 1st class), UA, KLM and Delta. I sort of like Air France.

sweetpopi

Reaction score
None of them to be honest with you .... these airlines are getting worse and worse and worse in terms of service. But if I had to pick one, it won't be an American-based airline ... I'd say Singapore Airlines would be the one to beat!

skippy upwood

Reaction score
Hate Ryanair with a passion (vile staff), BA is quite good, United (esp their 777's) is very good and really love Midwest (low prices, polite staff, B717's & cookie with every flight).

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thai is my favorite international airline so far
Thai is glorious. Especially the glorious new Suvarnabhumi Airport they operate out of instead of the old Don Muang.

AA is my preferred domestic airline - probably because of all the benefits related to my freq flyer status, i.e. automatic upgrades very common.
Hence my love for United
smile.gif
Getting on the airplane first works much better. You don't have to worry about overhead bin space which is a plus.

I'd say Singapore Airlines would be the one to beat!
Singapore is one of the best airlines out there. Simply amazing. You just can't beat the Singapore Girls
tounge.gif

Hate Ryanair with a passion (vile staff)
I've never flown Ryanair but I am certainly not complaining!

I'm off to Miami tomorrow on American to have Easter with some of my family down there, I'll report on their service. It seems to be different every time I fly on them.

JB

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Thai is glorious. Especially the glorious new Suvarnabhumi Airport they operate out of instead of the old Don Muang.
Thai Airways is mediocre, and you clearly have never been to Suvarnabhumi. It is horrible. Plagued with problems with everything from the runways (water beneath them causing them to collapse) to the fact that inside it is just plain dingy. Was built using suppliers chosen for their relationships with the former PM, and then rushed to opening. About the only good things I can say about it are that they built a very good highway into BKK from there, about the only road in the city that doesnt jam up, so you get out there a lot faster than to Don Muang. It also get's nice sunsets there....thats about it. Thailand's second biggest domestic carrier (Nok) has already announced that it is cutting its losses and moving back to Don Muang. Thai Airways likely to follow on domestic routes with low connection demands.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I was just on Thai Airways from Kennedy to Suvarnabhumi about a month and a half ago with my dad and I loved it. I have pictures of the airport, I'll post them when I'm on my other computer.

Meanwhile Thai domestic flights are going back to Don Muang from what I have heard. Apparently they only want international flights at the new airport for the time being.

JB

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
no, Thai going back is a huge slap in the face to the airport administration - the new airport does not want to lose any revenue (it cant afford to) from landing fees or other. They are going back in disgust, just as Nok did. Makes a huge mess for connections, and is costing them a fortune, and they still think its better. The upshot of Thai is you can do NY-BKK direct (A340 on the route), but then thats more because of a new plane than a good airline...try flying them from BKK to Yangon on the way old A300, see if your opinion changes
smile.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the airport itself has lost a ton of money, but it is still beautiful on the inside. The terminal is great. Thai flew the A340-500 nonstop to JFK from Don Muang as well, if they move internationals back that flight will move too. Connections for domestic and internationals will be complete anarchy though. It's like moving between LaGuardia and Kennedy, Haneda and Narita, Reagan and Dulles, etc. Ugh. Here's the airport itself-
_DSC1475.jpg
_DSC1462.jpg
_DSC1556.jpg
_DSC1540.jpg
I took these early in the morning, the airport was getting busy for the morning flights around Asia. JB

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
look more closely next time at the leaking exposed pipes (especially on the lower level arrivals deck), the absence of toilets, the HUUUUUGE distances between gates and immigration, the already-torn wind sails, try to find a business class lounge without having to walk so far that Burger King starts to look like a better place to while the time away, the shopping has been tied up in govt contracts, so basically there are the same five shops everywhere you turn, the ridiculous distance between customs clearance and groundtransportation and the horrible crowd control around there (accosted by taxis even more than at Don Muang)......then you will start to see why it is on the front page of every paper in Thailand basically every day as a huge disaster.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. I was there for 3 hours tops connecting to Kuala Lumpur
tounge.gif

JB

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
think ive been through five times now, including a 7 hour layover.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads