• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your fantasy wardrobe

Mitch D

Reaction score
I thought this might be fun: If you were building your fantasy wardrobe,and money were no object--but nothing could be bespoke--what would you select? Please list items in the following catagories: Suit Dress shirt Necktie Shoes (one pair dress,one casual) Wristwatch Accessories (braces or belt,cufflinks,pocket square,socks,handkerchief,hat-if you like) Casual shirt Sweater Coat Miscellaneous (Anything else I may have missed) I look forward to your responses.. Â
biggrin.gif

VWpete

Reaction score
Suit: Black dior slim cut that Slimane does so well... or for a classic look- bespoke Kiton 3-button in super 150's
Shirt: custom charvet tattersall w/ a nice Spread collar
Tie: a nice 7 fold Kiton or a cool dior skinny tie (for a funkier nightlife edge)
Shoes: Dress-double monk strap Lobb in a shiny black
Casual: Antiqued RL purple label monk straps that have a nice vintage look to be worn with slacks and jeans (my dad has this shoe and we wear the same size... he guards em from me.)
Accessories: A nice printed Charvet silk pocket square, a custom chrome hearts ring (the rock star in me) w/ something meaningful to me in the design, a nice black belt w/ silver bits (Doesn't take a ton of csh but a good basic) and a pair of Yurman silver/gold cufflinks. Gotta have a fun colored belt like the red one I've been sporting w/ jeans lately or my turquoise Paul Smith belt.
Casual Shirt: A great slim cut, spread color Alexander of Saville Row colorful shirt (they do great prints).
Sweater: 100% 12 ply cashmere cardigan w/ a high collar that adds some flair to the consevative cut... I can't remember the brand, but my dad has one in chocolate brown (Can you tell who's style I love?)... mine in Black. Very Luxurious....
Coat: My Dior overcoat from last season that's brownish/olive (I love it.)

I guess I'm not too creative because i'm content with most of my wardrobe. I really am looking for a good pair of antiqued brown monkstraps though.

Or I could be indulgent like Karl Lagerfeld and buy every piece from every Slimane Dior collection... I have a dior addiction, but only have the jacket and a pair of sunglasses---too much $$$$ when it's not on sale for me.
Cheers,
Pete

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No bespoke? Now that's no fun
smile.gif
Suit - 3 piece 3 button by Sartoria Attolini. Done in a lightweight, high quality, medium-to-dark grey flannel and with double vents and a ticket pocket. The pants would have to have a high rise and a full-cut leg with a 1.75" cuff. I don't know if Attolini does a suit like this but it sure sounds nice. Shirt - a rich light blue solid by Borrelli. With a wide, deep spread collar and French cuffs. Tie - Woven silk by Robert Talbott Estate done in bottle green. Dress shoes - classic antique brown toe cap oxfords by Silvano Lattanzi. Casual shoes - A dark brown split toe Norwegian by Lattanzi. Accessories - A pocket square from Alan Flusser's custom shop, oval gold double sided cuff-links with "right" and "left" engraved in green enamel by Longmire (to be worn on the wrong cuff of course,) A. Lange & Sohne gold Langematik with a white face and a brown crocodile band, Â a nice pair of braces, bottle green Pantherella socks, solid gold Parker 51 fountain pen, Tanner Krolle briefcase, Brigg umbrella. Â Casual shirt - Blue chambray Borrelli spread-collar. I find that spread collars look the best when worn open. Â Sweater - thick Loro Piana cable knit cashmere mock or turtle-neck in dark green. The navy "polo coat" shown on page 196 of Bernhard Roetzel's "Gentleman" book. Except maybe in a rich camel-brown. Â Â Â Other stuff - An Attolini single breasted navy blazer, a perfect pair of grey flannels, a good pair of vintage-looking jeans, a dark brown grained leather Forestiere coat from Arnys (I missed one of these on ebay and I still can't get over it) a Barbour coat and (heck, since I'm dreamin) an Aston Martin Vanquish. Of course if I had all that stuff I'd be filthy rich and too worried about losing my money to enjoy any of it
smile.gif

naturlaut

Reaction score
First I'd of course follow the path set forth by Kilgour to build a 'basic' wardrobe: THE ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS OF A GENTLEMANS WARDROBE by Kilgour French and Stanbury *Notice the inclusion of 'shooting suits' at the bottom and their requirements --- 'Muted check to avoid frightening the birds'. Â I'd never forget that, Kilgour.* Though money is of no objection, it doesn't mean that I am going to spend on the most expensive items. Â A honest reply to you would be to choose something that would really suit my personality and with comfort as priority. Â So here is a short list: Suit: Brioni, for its classiness and old-world refinement. Â Dress shirt: Either Turnbull & Asser for the same reason as above or an Anna Matuozzo for her style Necktie: Generally a Stephano Ricci would do, but I don't mind having a seven-fold from Kiton or Borrelli Dress Shoe: Edward Green Newbury (wholecut) in burnished brown (last 606, with a little square toe) Casual shoe: a soft leather Mantellassi loafer for weekday and a more stylish Berluti for weekend (both a slight squared toe) Accessories: too many to list. Â I'd try to find the closest leather to my Edward Green from Lobb for belt and briefcase. Â Socks: definitely a fine pair from Moxon Huddersfield. Casual Shirt: A button-down Borrelli with an Hermes Ascot Sweater: A cashmere Cucinelli for winter times. Â For Spring or Fall, (now this is a riot) my favourite fabric is a blend of 35% cashmere, 35% silk and 30% wool (I have a ton of these in my collections). Â As far as I've tried, Gianni Versace makes the best in terms of blending and styling. Â (Gucci makes it way to heavy for my taste and didn't last.) Coat: I can't remember the name of the maker, but he used to make coats for Brioni (not the present one, Sforza). Â Thracozaag, (remember what we tried on at Brioni?) help me out; maybe you have a better memory. Others: now that's an open topic entirely of its own. Â My dream --- an Augusta A 109 helicopter (carries 6, 156 knots, 5 hours range), a case of '82 LaFite, a 1951 Macallan, a Bechstein 9-foot D280 piano (preferrably used), a Stradivarius violin from his early 1700s productions, a complete original 1611 King James Bible, the first edition of Beethoven's Op. 35 variations (current selling at Bauman's for $15,800), a Bentley Azure Mulliner (color preferred: wine), a collection of Dail's Dante (woodblock or litho would be fine), able to dine at Ducasse any time without reservation, a seat in my name for me at Carnegie and Avery Fisher Hall, all the latest gadgets from Sony Japan (including the new Clie and the upcoming Sony Ericsson P800 mobile phone), and last but not least, a quiet castle in Edinburg to store everything mentioned above and to get away from it all (Saddam, Bush & Blair, war, bad economy, communists in Hong Kong, snowstorm in New York ruining my shoes, and the horrible but indispensible New York subway). Â And that's just at the top of my mind at 9:30 in the morning ... ...

Mitch D

Reaction score
smile.gif
I know,I know. While it does stand to reason that,if money were no object,why not bespoke,I wanted to make this a bit more challenging; to see who you thought made the best,non-custom pieces in each catagory. And clearly,you are up to the task. May I congratulate the gentlemen who have responded thus far,for your exquisite taste..
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit: The 3 button, light pinstriped, navy suit by Kiton that I saw at Louis Boston. If I was ever in a position to drop 4 grand on a suit, this would be it. Dress shirt: High spread collar by T & A Necktie: Definately a Kiton 7 fold in moss green Shoes: Lobb, double monk straps, in black; I know, not original, but they are classic. For casual wear Ludwig Reiter Sport "Jogging" model shoes. I can't seem to get a hold of these, despite sending 3 emails to their offices... Wristwatch: Cartier Roadster; the one with the red and green numbers. Accesories: I'm not to big on accesories, but I guess an endless supply of irish linen pocket squares, high quality cashmere socks, and a really slick briefcase (I can't mention a brand because I've never looked at briefcases before; maybe in a few years though). Casual shirt: Any white linen, long sleve shirt. I saw a great one at Gianfranco Ferre, really thick MOP buttons too. Linen is by far my favorite casual fabric. It feels incredibly light and comfortable. Sweater: Black, cashmere, V-neck, preferably Loro Piana or TSE. Coat: Gotta go with the navy, cashmere, Kiton I saw in Venice this weekend. It was slim cut, 3/4 length, including a ticket pocket. I would also like this same coat in camel. Miscellaneous: The entire line of Creed colognes and a few good pairs of jeans.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give this a try:

Suit(s):since no bespoke (If there was, definitely Caraceni):
Kiton--side-vented double breasted diamante 150's navy textured, with a ticket pocket.
Attolini--side-vented 3 button charcoal windopane.

Formal wear:Must go with the elegant, classic opulence of Brioni. Probably some sort of 1 button tux with a shawl collar, perhaps.

Shirts: Anna Matuozzo--textured white shirt, spread collar.
Kiton--some sort of patterned blue french cuff.

Ties: Either Marinella, Bvlgari, or Stefano Ricci.

And while I wouldn't pass up an old Bechstein, I think I'd go for either a Fazioli or Boesendorfer piano.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
This sounds like fun - I'm gonna keep mine (somewhat) realistic. Basically just a list of stuff I don't have...

Suit - Zegna Napoli. Maybe in a solid chocolate brown, as I don't have a brown suit. Three button, single breasted with a high lapel. Zegna stuff just fits me beautifully.

Shirt - Charvet, point collar, barrell cuffs. Perhaps sky blue or a nice cream or off white.

Neck tie - So many people make beautiful ties, I guess I'll go with a kiton cashmere knit in an earth tone. Maybe a brown to complement the suit.

Shoes - Tanino Crisci brown split toed lace ups that I saw in Milan last year and am still kicking myself for not having bought. For casual, several pairs of the adidas Rod Lavers, in white with the green accent - when one pair gets dirty, I'll wear the new pair.

Wristwatch -- Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle Cronograph. Just bad.

Accessories - Belt from Hermes, versace underwear (why not?)

Casual Shirt - throw-back Red Sox Jim Rice jersey.

no time for the rest...

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Suit
Attolini, tailormade, bespoke

Dress shirt
Kiton, Borrelli.

Necktie
Kiton, paisley or dotted.

Shoes (one pair dress,one casual)
Silvano Lattanzi & Gucci.

Wristwatch
Cartier Santos or Audemars Piguet royal oak.

Accessories (braces or belt,cufflinks,pocket square,socks,handkerchief,hat-if you like)
Braces, in navy/burgundy stripes.
Cufflinks, in 20k with monogram and our coat of arms.
Pocket square, silk with monogram, white.

Casual shirt
Ralph Lauren

Sweater
Brioni or Gucci

Coat
Woolrich parka
Barbour liddesdale
Burberry car coat
Paul Stuart safari jacket

Miscellaneous (Anything else I may have missed)

A black cane with white gold ball at the top, and maybe a monokel in 18k of course.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by naturlaut
First I'd of course follow the path set forth by Kilgour to build a 'basic' wardrobe:

THE ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS OF A GENTLEMANS WARDROBE by Kilgour French and Stanbury

*Notice the inclusion of 'shooting suits' at the bottom and their requirements --- 'Muted check to avoid frightening the birds'. I'd never forget that, Kilgour.*

Though money is of no objection, it doesn't mean that I am going to spend on the most expensive items. A honest reply to you would be to choose something that would really suit my personality and with comfort as priority. So here is a short list:

Suit: Brioni, for its classiness and old-world refinement.

Dress shirt: Either Turnbull & Asser for the same reason as above or an Anna Matuozzo for her style

Necktie: Generally a Stephano Ricci would do, but I don't mind having a seven-fold from Kiton or Borrelli

Dress Shoe: Edward Green Newbury (wholecut) in burnished brown (last 606, with a little square toe)

Casual shoe: a soft leather Mantellassi loafer for weekday and a more stylish Berluti for weekend (both a slight squared toe)

Accessories: too many to list. I'd try to find the closest leather to my Edward Green from Lobb for belt and briefcase. Socks: definitely a fine pair from Moxon Huddersfield.

Casual Shirt: A button-down Borrelli with an Hermes Ascot

Sweater: A cashmere Cucinelli for winter times. For Spring or Fall, (now this is a riot) my favourite fabric is a blend of 35% cashmere, 35% silk and 30% wool (I have a ton of these in my collections). As far as I've tried, Gianni Versace makes the best in terms of blending and styling. (Gucci makes it way to heavy for my taste and didn't last.)

Coat: I can't remember the name of the maker, but he used to make coats for Brioni (not the present one, Sforza). Thracozaag, (remember what we tried on at Brioni?) help me out; maybe you have a better memory.

Others: now that's an open topic entirely of its own. My dream --- an Augusta A 109 helicopter (carries 6, 156 knots, 5 hours range), a case of '82 LaFite, a 1951 Macallan, a Bechstein 9-foot D280 piano (preferrably used), a Stradivarius violin from his early 1700s productions, a complete original 1611 King James Bible, the first edition of Beethoven's Op. 35 variations (current selling at Bauman's for $15,800), a Bentley Azure Mulliner (color preferred: wine), a collection of Dail's Dante (woodblock or litho would be fine), able to dine at Ducasse any time without reservation, a seat in my name for me at Carnegie and Avery Fisher Hall, all the latest gadgets from Sony Japan (including the new Clie and the upcoming Sony Ericsson P800 mobile phone), and last but not least, a quiet castle in Edinburg to store everything mentioned above and to get away from it all (Saddam, Bush & Blair, war, bad economy, communists in Hong Kong, snowstorm in New York ruining my shoes, and the horrible but indispensible New York subway). And that's just at the top of my mind at 9:30 in the morning ... ...

Brioni, Lobb, T&A... yep. That's the ticket.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
smile.gif

Suit - 3 piece 3 button by Sartoria Attolini. Done in a lightweight, high quality, medium-to-dark grey flannel and with double vents and a ticket pocket. The pants would have to have a high rise and a full-cut leg with a 1.75" cuff. I don't know if Attolini does a suit like this but it sure sounds nice.

Shirt - a rich light blue solid by Borrelli. With a wide, deep spread collar and French cuffs.

Tie - Woven silk by Robert Talbott Estate done in bottle green.

Dress shoes - classic antique brown toe cap oxfords by Silvano Lattanzi.

Casual shoes - A dark brown split toe Norwegian by Lattanzi.

Accessories - A pocket square from Alan Flusser's custom shop, oval gold double sided cuff-links with "right" and "left" engraved in green enamel by Longmire (to be worn on the wrong cuff of course,) A. Lange & Sohne gold Langematik with a white face and a brown crocodile band, *a nice pair of braces, bottle green Pantherella socks, solid gold Parker 51 fountain pen, Tanner Krolle briefcase, Brigg umbrella. *

Casual shirt - Blue chambray Borrelli spread-collar. I find that spread collars look the best when worn open. *

Sweater - thick Loro Piana cable knit cashmere mock or turtle-neck in dark green.

The navy "polo coat" shown on page 196 of Bernhard Roetzel's "Gentleman" book. Except maybe in a rich camel-brown. * * *

Other stuff - An Attolini single breasted navy blazer, a perfect pair of grey flannels, a good pair of vintage-looking jeans, a dark brown grained leather Forestiere coat from Arnys (I missed one of these on ebay and I still can't get over it) a Barbour coat and (heck, since I'm dreamin) an Aston Martin Vanquish.

Of course if I had all that stuff I'd be filthy rich and too worried about losing my money to enjoy any of it
smile.gif

Attolini making you a suit hands on
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One that a reliable, knowledgable, and capable staff deals with, for me.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
And while I wouldn't pass up an old Bechstein, I think I'd go for either a Fazioli or Boesendorfer piano.

Not Steinway? (I'm not a pianist, but I always assumed Steinways were the best...)

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Suit: Cesare Attolini gray pinestripe, cashmere and wool blend 2 button.
Tie: Roda or Italo Ferretti, pink with purple stripes.
Shoes: Peron & Peron of Bologna, Italy.
Shirt: Borrelli Royal Collection, white background with yellow stripes and the spread.

And a Ferrari F50 to go with it. ahahahahaha.

The others I have to think about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics