• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your clothing aesthetic

davo10375

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done before (couldn't really find a similar thread) but what is the aesthetic your going for? things that could be mentioned are;
- Inspirations (people and otherwise)

- How your clothing fits into your character (i;e you dress like a rocker but actually are a bank teller who enjoys sudoku's)

- A picture which describes your overall aesthetic (from WAYWT, or even of someone else)

- Clothing you consider fundamental to that aesthetic (a few paticular pieces, a brand etc)

- Do you stray out of the aesthetic ever? What about when formal clothing is needed? (eg, in my opinion, Get Smart maintains the exact same vibe even when wearing a suit)

- Other ****?

Excuse the fact that this looks like a survey. I'm not actually trying to acquire information to sell to the KGB or anything, just curious and thought it could be an interesting thread...

Will post mine soon...

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've never really thought about it. I'm still developing my style, but I've noticed I'm now aiming towards eliminating logo's, and keeping things clean and simple. this is something I do during the warmer months. keep things minimal with a good slim fit.

during fall/winter, I go for a more workwear/utility oriented aesthetic. red wing boots, heavy sweaters, a more relaxed look and fit overall.

brands in general don't matter to me that much. if it looks good, and I think I can make it work, I like it. I don't really have a favourite brand. I'm partial to leather footwear whether its shoes or boots,

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black, white, and shades of grey with a splash of color thrown in somewhere.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
At the moment i don't really have a single aesthetic. I have a few black/grey/white outfits with drapey tops, slim bottoms and combat boots for a darker/moody aesthetc. I wear a slightly modern nerd/prep type stuff every once in awhile. Sometimes i'll just dress up nicer with slim trousers, button up and nice laceups. Other times i have a bit of a rocker look with skinny jeans, sneaks and a slim plain or graphic tee. I have some western/americana outfits as well with western plaids, blue jeans with tucked in casual button ups. I don't know. I get bored doing one thing. In the future i'll probably narrow stuff down because it's easier to buy items to fit multiple outfits but i'm young and restless.

In real life i'm a pretty chill person. Not very overbearing, but can hold conversation about most anything with a bit of dry wit thrown in there for good measure. Love playing sports as much as i do looking at and buying clothes. Video games are a must. Classical, late antique and middle age history is a passion and educating tomorrow's leaders is probably my future.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Not sure if this has been done before (couldn't really find a similar thread) but what is the aesthetic your going for?
American traditional, because I fuckin love America

davo10375

Reaction score
nice chrono,
by the way, those boots are all different kinds of badass... where did you get them? could get my mate to try send some real army ones over but ill let him be :p

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
<-----
devil.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
American traditional, because I fuckin love America

Well put.

mikeczyz

Reaction score
i hate being noticed. I like to blend into the crowd.

as such, i wear, exclusively, dark jeans with solid, muted, fitted t-shirts and polo shirts. shoes...a pair of black calfskin oxfords and a pair of boots. i have lots of coats/outerwear...a black, military style jacket, my wool/felt dark blue hoodie and a few other select pieces.

for work clothes, suits. although I can't afford the MTM stuff...mostly Nordstrom Rack for me.

hard to pick me out of a crowd which is just how i like it.

Brennan Huff

Reaction score
I'm going with dibadiba here. I don't like wearing graphic tee's anymore.
On my off days i prefer plain simple v-necks and skinny jeans. Also, streamlining things by going beltless, and sockless with my new sambas &gt;=]

This whole simplicity look carries over to my work clothes too. Solid colored shirts, stripe/solid ties, silver tie bar, no-break trousers.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
nice chrono,
by the way, those boots are all different kinds of badass... where did you get them? could get my mate to try send some real army ones over but ill let him be :p

Lucky ebay find. No clue where to find them now. I'm not israeli so i don't have any connections on getting them.

KBW

Reaction score
I wear a lot of color but not "loud" color. I have chinos or whatever in about every color and pair them with a white, blue, grey, etc shirt or polo. I'm from the south in a very "southern" area/college so I like my seersuckers, linen, and white pants as well. I like boots of all kinds and for some reason I really like suede. I'm just getting into denim so I'm still learning the belts, shoes, etc that work.

As far as the fall and the colder months I love layering. From cashmere sweaters and pullovers to jackets of all sorts. For some reason all of my jackets are either navy, black, or white but they work with everything I have. I've also since becoming a member of this forum have acquired a good many MTM shirts and never knew how great a shirt can look when it fits perfectly. I'm a nut about my hair (my sister owns several salon boutiques or whatever) so I never wear a hat unless it is VERY cold, I woke up too late to do something to my hair, or I'm snowboarding.

I LOVE watches and subtle jewelry. I'm wearing my titanium PAM177 atm and have about 15 watches with my favorite either being the PAM177 or my bullhead breitling (5 of my watches are G-shocks and 4 others are seiko so they aren't all "expensive").

Watches, shoes, cashmere, and jackets are probably my favorite things as far as clothing goes. My real job starts July 14 so I'm starting to stock up on "business" clothing and the fun is starting with learning what works for me there.

As far as favorite items go:

Pants: Somet slims or my bespoke blue/white linen pants

Shirts: Linen MTM...didn't know what I was missing out on before I starting getting MTM or bespoke shirts and the 4 I just got in linen are ridiculous

Polos: southern tide polos (1000000000000 times better of a polo than Ralph Lauren Polos or Lacoste at the same cost as they don't advertise...everything about them is better: the quality, fit, length, sleeve length, colors, etc...I also like how I do a lot of travelling and you can only buy them in several stores in the Southeast)

Belt: custom 1 3/4" light tan suede or my new APC "natural" braided belt that took me about 8 hours to find and I don't even have it yet but I love it

Jacket: Peter Millar navy cashmere cable pullover (not really a jacket but oh well). This is my second one as a girl's dog pissed on my first one when I left it on her floor (she definitely wasn't worth it)

Watch: either one of the two I mentioned or a vintage seiko bullhead that I bought two matching and had them restored and gave one to my dad

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i like clothing with a story and a purpose. i like vintage inspired. i like utilitarian. i like form fitting. i like gentlemanly. i like lived in, and weathered, done as authentically as possible. neatly, disheveled - and if i have purposely done it, you can't tell. subtle sophistication

favorite items in my wardrobe:

beatup justin roper boots - have had the soles and heels fixed twice. i get compliments everywhere i go with those. they are scratched and marred and look like they've been through a rock tumbler.

anything AA top wise. the proportion of their fits, fits me perfectly. too bad quality is ******.

3 year old Nudie Straight Svens - they fit like a glove, the contrast and fading on them is ridiculous, and they feel like such an accomplishment.

Moscot Nebbs glasses - chunky, nerdy, totally vintage and i always have liked how how it feels like such a transformation from when i have them on to when i take them off.

fossil mid century looking watch - its my beater watch and i beat myself up a little bit everytime i see the logo on it bc its fossil, but its quirky and weird like me with its wood paneling face and rectangular shape that looks like a 1960's alarm clock.

slim fitting military shirts - i have this thing about shoulders, i even work them out extra hard to build them up bigger. i guess bc mine aren't naturally as broad like lets say male super model will chalker's, so i like pieces that do highlight what i have. i'm all about the epaulets. i may not have basketballs for shoulders naturally, but these shirts make me look like i do . . . and they're utilitarian, i love when they have the fasteners inside the sleeves to hold up the cuff when its rolled up.

------

things i DON'T like . . .

overly sexy - deep vnecks on muscle guys, sorry but the only guys they look good on are skinny emo boys with little bit of muscle tone that are wearing them ever so loosely, but forfitting enough to be subletly sexy.

loud - ed hardy, true religions with the exaggerated wide stitching, rock and republics with the obnxioulsly large R's

shoe hybrids, with unnaturally disheveled finishes - john varvatos converse, is it a bowling shoe or a chuck sneaker? were your feet somehow caught in a red sand dust storm but your perfectly hemmed sevens and pressed, untucked pinstriped shirt unharmed in the disaster? aldo, mark nason . . . .

Window

Reaction score
style classification: tom bombadil drifter

inspirations: all kinds of stuff

character: dull personality. I do not like repetition much and am fixated on utility. If I'm going for a look, it's the look of a person prepared to survive the post apocalyptic future of middle earth, or the somber lead character of a science fiction trilogy no one's made yet, or someone who would not have looked out of place in the movie "hackers".

lots of pockets, canvas, tie dyes, bright rainbow stuff paired with earth tones, dark gray, dark blue, sneakers whose soles I sipe with nails to aid in climbing wet wooden fences if needed, fishing vests (for the pockets), trail shoes, cargos, sweat pants, ect.

out of energy. best pictures to describe..

Drifter.jpg
+
ash-ketchum.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im with Stazy. My typical look is high contrast. I go for a bit of the look of a &quot;Host&quot; some days. Though this summer I have been diggin on resort style, so lots of linnen, drapey fits, no socks, straw hats, etc (for the ultimate look I tie in a SLR but that hits costume levels of dress)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads