• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your clothing aesthetic

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goal is a mix of these two
ralph_ellison.jpg
monk.jpg

So far far more misses than hits but I'm working on it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I give off a vaguely odd but expensive vibe. I also have an enchanting scent in the form of season-inappropriate heaviness.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you what my aesthetic isn't... my aesthetic isn't anything you have to adopt wholecloth, e.g. workwear, Western, etc.

I'll occasionally get siezed with the mental image of an outfit I think would work well. Once those garments are acquired, there's a "trickle down" effect to all my other outfits.

Clothing for me is about the abstract designerly qualities of color and composition. I have no interest in projecting my station in life, aspirations, heritage, etc. through my manner of dress. I grew up wearing hand-me-downs and thrift store clothes, so the cultural connotations of clothing are a non-consideration for me. What could possibly be more "Americana" than that?

And like Souper says, how I want to dress is very different from how I dress. Summer, especially, has really knocked me on ******. All I need is about a thousand more bucks and I'll be straight.

Actually, having a job would help.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
No, my look is not high contrast. I also do not wear resort style clothing.

I meant I was with you on the contrast thing. As in lots of black, gray, and white. The resort thing is pure me.

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
People always say I look punky or skaterish. I don't see it but I guess they have a lack of better adjectives. I do where a lot of black, white and gray though...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I can tell you what my aesthetic isn't... my aesthetic isn't anything you have to adopt wholecloth, e.g. workwear, Western, etc.

I'll occasionally get siezed with the mental image of an outfit I think would work well. Once those garments are acquired, there's a "trickle down" effect to all my other outfits.

Clothing for me is about the abstract designerly qualities of color and composition. I have no interest in projecting my station in life, aspirations, heritage, etc. through my manner of dress. I grew up wearing hand-me-downs and thrift store clothes, so the cultural connotations of clothing are a non-consideration for me. What could possibly be more "Americana" than that?

And like Souper says, how I want to dress is very different from how I dress. Summer, especially, has really knocked me on ******. All I need is about a thousand more bucks and I'll be straight.

Actually, having a job would help.

Seriously? Don't you just wear random tops with raw denim and dunks? Not hating, but that's a lot of talking about aesthetics. You don't need thousands of bucks, man.

Also, clothes have connotations regardless of if you care. If i wear a lot of drapey black **** it's going to give off a different vibe than if i wear loose raw denim, a tucked in workshirt and redwings, even if i'm the same person. You say you have an idea of how you want to dress in the future or when you have more money and i'm guessing that is a certain style or aesthetic. It may be a list of items but if you have a vision of what you want, i'm guessing those items will form some kind of style.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's interesting that those vibes are strong enough to keep people separated. It would be funny to have a group of people with different styles of dress, say indie, punk, goth, workwear, and Ivy league, and have those people roam around in an empty mall. Not surprisingly, they would all form groups based on their attire.

I find it even more interesting however when there exists an individual who dresses a certain way and you've grown to expect him or her to listen to a certain music when they actually listen to something completely different. It's like if you walked into Abercrombie and Fitch and one of the girls there tells you she listens to Arcade Fire

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Don't you just wear random tops with raw denim and dunks?
On a good day. Right now I'm wearing paintballer shorts with a Volcom shirt. (It's also laundry day, and the first day of Summer to boot.)

Not hating, but that's a lot of talking about aesthetics. You don't need thousands of bucks, man.
As I said, where I am isn't necessarily where I want to be. I definitely want to get both black and brown boots, maybe a Schott Perfecto, a military jacket etc.

Also, clothes have connotations regardless of if you care. If i wear a lot of drapey black **** it's going to give off a different vibe than if i wear loose raw denim, a tucked in workshirt and redwings, even if i'm the same person.
I think there's some validity to my idea of basing the "aesthetic" around an outfit rather than the outfit around an aesthetic. I'm just a visual person first and foremost. At the same time, I don't believe in excessive layering or clothing that gets too far away from the strictly functional.

Here's a fit from BrettChaotix that's in line with where I want to go (and to some degree, where I was last winter.)

PICT0582.jpg

You say you have an idea of how you want to dress in the future or when you have more money and i'm guessing that is a certain style or aesthetic. It may be a list of items but if you have a vision of what you want, i'm guessing those items will form some kind of style.
If I had to choose an aesthetic for myself, I'd say "punk". Not "punk" as in "punk music", but "punk" as in "lowly, pissant white boy."

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Here's a fit from BrettChaotix that's in line with where I want to go (and to some degree, where I was last winter.)

How is Brett's look something that you "need to reach and get to"? (not talking **** on Brett, looks good and I dig the Jam/Dior shirt).....but it's not an overly conceptual aesthetic that you can't pull together fairly easily and quickly (in terms of aesthetic, the individual pieces themselves may be hard to get).

If you were to use, say El Guapo Wongo, Singular, or Berlin Report, as examples of where you'd like be to at aesthetically, then I'd agree that it requires some work and understanding.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
How is Brett's look something that you "need to reach and get to"? (not talking **** on Brett, looks good and I dig the Jam/Dior shirt).....but it's not an overly conceptual aesthetic that you can't pull together fairly easily and quickly (in terms of aesthetic, the individual pieces themselves may be hard to get).

That's exactly what I'm saying; it's not conceptual. And yes, the problem is the aquisition of the pieces.

Also, those of you without wide feet can't possibly imagine what a hinderance they are to getting good footwear. That's mostly why I'm stuck with Dunks/Court Forces right now.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
What GS said. Brett tends to like the dior look some so he has kind of a toned down rocker look. Any fit can be broken down to not seem like anything but i bet brett thinks about the outfit as a whole instead of just individual pieces.

His outfit can be mimicked really cheap though. Non-dior graphic shirt, blackhoodie , slim raw jeans and black chucks. You could do it on the cheap for about $110(h&m sliqs 40 chucks 40 black aa hoodie 25wholesale and graphic tee 10-30). If you're trying to get a schott leather jacket, some boots and military stuff, then you're definitely headed towards a certain style/aesthetic.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I try to change it up depending on the season, but in general it's kind of a douchebag-with-taste kind of look. I like a bit of flash when I go out, but I also hate wearing something other people are wearing. I'm complete done with raw denim for the time being, but I'm sure it will come back. If I feel good in it, I wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads