1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2011

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Dec 31, 2011.

1. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

You made me want to consolidate my all purchase in the last year. You shoeholic bitch. :violin:

Florshiem for Duckie Brown Cordovan Boot. I won't look at this brand, even it's cordovan.

check your PM

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. wurm

wurm Senior member

That's a really good batting average from the looks of it.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

best:

sns stark
    fillipa k desert boots
    alden no 8 captoes (thrifted even!)
    rrl slims

worst:

i bought a bunch of lands end t shirts that i've never worn. they were like $4 but still.

4. meso

meso Senior member

Not at all. I've never been particularly bugged by marks on my boots though. Prefer my boots to age gracefully and show their age -- the sheen of cordo doesn't really do it for me. And they are tough to break in with their heavy leather. I can't be the only person who thinks that shell is way overrated?

5. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Holy shit NAMOR.

IALso meso, I think what NAMOR meant by his reaction is that cordo is much easier to take care of than calf.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

cordo is ok. i don't really see why you'd need 30 pairs of it.. all of the colors are pretty similar honestly. but this is SF.

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

This is SF. Correct.

8. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

Best:
    AE Macneil: Comfortable from day one and looks great
    Dockers Slim Soft D1: I've been looking for slim khakis with a relatively high waist forever -- most companies sell slim pants with very low waists (eg. Uniqlo). These pants happen to fit me near perfect, plus they are decently priced and have a huge range of colors. Love'em.

Worst (so far):
    Gap Original Fit Jeans: Bought them because they were supposed to sit at the waist and go straight through the thigh. But the thighs are actually skinny as hell -- and they have resisted all attempts at stretching thus far. Doesn't look promising so far ...

Regarding Happy Socks, I love the color and designs, but close up I can tell the quality is subpar. When it comes to socks, I only trust Smartwool, GoldToe, and Uniqlo.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

+1

Quoted for posterity.

GEEZ.

10. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Didn't do a lot of copping this year, but:
    favorites:
    Wolverine 1000 Mile Wesleys in 2-tone brown
    Dockers Alphas in steelhead
    a J Crew windowpane button-down of some sort (navy on white field)

least favorites:
    a few Gitman brothers shirts that didn't really do it for me, but also fit me like a tent that I got online

Lessons learned: Online buying sucks ass if you don't know your sizing or if the label has inconsistent sizing. I'm sure most people are aware of this, but because I avoided most online ordering, I was able to pretty much only buy the things I wanted that fit well from the get-go. I can't recall making any impulse purchases this year and for the most part had a gameplan.

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

This is the problem of online purchase, but if something doesn't fit, or you don't like, you can just return it.

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Best: Burberry Prorsum wool merino asymmetrical zipper sweater (my first runway item [​IMG]) and a pair of leather sandals, also from Prorsum. And dsquared2 painter biker jeans.

Worst: I kinda regret buying a pair of white YSL high tops. I got them at 50% and they´re pretty cool, but one of the sneakers already has a couple of places a bit torned, and they ´re white, which makes them hard to keep clean. Also, months after buying them I saw those shiny blue YSL high tops and became infatuated with them. So maybe it doesn´t qualify as a bad purchase but it could have turned out better.

13. husbands

husbands Senior member

Best:
    [​IMG]
    trading my Cabourn cameraman for one size up, in the ash/gray colorway... this one is perfect.
    Trickers boots from STP
    Roy jeans (RN03)

Worst: APC tweed mac coat that I am returning. fits like shit.
    White Mountaineering hat - decent fit but not great quality. WM is overrated IMO

Lukewarm:
    Golden Bear x Unionmade varsity jacket (light blue) - like this jacket a lot but haven't figured out what it looks best with
    suede CP lows in white - excellent deal but the fit is a little too snug, and I have to wait until spring to break them in

14. Beingjbot

Beingjbot Well-Known Member

Best
    Anything Epaulet
    Anything Kent Wang
    Alden longwings
    Dayton Service boots
    Anything uniqlo

Worst
    Topman shit

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

worst purchase = shoto boots from barneys

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ Haaa. Didn't you just buy those?

17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

sadly yes

18. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

geezus namor. you are the aportnoy of sw&d.

19. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Best :slayer:

• DH Power Blue MIJ 17.5cm jeans -- best fit, ever
    • Black MMM GATs -- I can be boring
    • Burberry London Treyforth dress shirts -- first slim-fit shirt that truly doesn't billow
    • Belstaff Navy Zip-up Sweater -- my go-to light outerwear piece (best for layering)
    • LL Bean Duck Boots (lined with Goretex, Made in Maine) -- I usually eschew the whole LL Bean, J Crew faux outdoors vibe but in this case they're extremely useful and so bubbly warm
    • Barneys Coop Black V-Neck Sweater -- on sale for $69. MIC so quality is questionable, but for price nice cut and cool feel

Worst :embar:

• DH Raw Denim about 12 sizes too large -- had to sell these at a loss
    • Random pair of Diesel sneakers -- although dirt cheap, dirt poor quality, questionable design, never felt right
    • Thomas Pink Wool Skinny Tie (Gray) -- never worn, sits in box, sadness
    • Black DH bifold wallet -- quality was on par with something you'd get at Macy's. Returned to Saks immediately. The perils of online shopping

20. dernsaw

dernsaw Active Member

This thread makes me regret not pulling the trigger on a Stark when I had a chance.