Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2011

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ennui

ennui Senior member

Worst:
    Land's End Canvas s/s madras shirt - fits not so well
    Billy Reid blazer - took $200 of alterations to get this to fit, as I bought a size too large. It fits OK now but really just a sinkhole of money. I should have just sold it when I got it. Lesson learned hopefully.

Best:
    Sinn 556A - perfect tool watch
    Uniqlo +J blazer and suit - perfect off-the-rack fit

Pending:
    BoO blazer - needs slight alterations, but looks like this is going to be a winner
    EG Andover - don't know if I'm a fan of the wrinkled look ... perhaps I should just press it.

Updates:
    Albam duffle overcoat - basically too slim in the sleeves, but otherwise great fit and keeps me warm.
    Krane Ayling - loved it but too warm for where I live so had to sell it.
    Gap skinny fit jeans - fit almost as well as 511s, currently my favorite jean to wear. I'm definitely not a denim head and fit is more important to me than anything else, so these work.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Funny how the DC hoodie I got from Pac Sun and A&F t shirts are some of the most durable clothes I've handled.

3. Dear Leader

Dear Leader Well-Known Member

Best:

Tricker's Bourton Espresso Burnished. Took a gamble when I bought them online without trying them on. Ended up fitting me perfectly and looks good with everyting I have.

W+H henley, cowichan sweater, camo bush pants.

Club Monaco oxford shirts

Worst:

Nom de Guerre Civil Affair pants in black. Too baggy for my liking and when I took it to the alterations; the tailor fucked it up. It's now a little too slim for my liking.

4. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

best:
    toj1 - wearing this bomber side out most of the time.
    uniqlo socks - need to get more of these
    +j wool trousers - one of those basics that i finally ended up buying
    tat suit - another thing i just really needed since i didn't own any suits at the time.

worst:
    raf zipper cardigan - not bad, just doesn't quite match with what i'm going for. might put up on b&s.

5. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Best: a pair of KMW 1950's (...too bad the company is barely alive, it seems)
    Worst: a pair of Momotaro's (...too tight in the thighs...)

6. dinogj

dinogj Senior member

Best:
    -Any RRL denim, I think I bought 3-4 pairs this year and honestly I love each one
    -I got some Frye boots as a present and they are the most comfortable boots I have, and they looks tough as nails compared to the W+H service boots
    -LEC slim fit chinos, somehow these fit me great and they feel tough and I wear em hard cause they are so replaceable
    - stay-dri polos from uniqlo that I swear by in the heat!
    - RL black label leather moto jacket, its more modern than I'm used to, but damn I look good.

worst:
    - any footwear from LEC. I bought pretty much on deep discount and even then I regretted them and returned. such horrible quality.
    - hugo boss bedsheets using some "super luxurious" fabric. felt like crap and looked like crap. not worth even the sale price.
    - Any sweater I got this year, i just liked the idea of them and i guess I'm just not a sweater guy. $700 bucks of knits not touched, but I cant bare to part =(

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Best:
    -SNS Herning Roentgen sweater in navy and Stark in burgundy. The only knits I ever wear.
    -CP chukkas in tan leather. My go to everyday shoes.
    -OL white OCBD. Just looks good with everything.

Worst:
    -Merz B Schwanen army style t-shirt that I really loved but shrank a bit too much. Hate myself when I buy stuff that I know is going to end up to small.
    -Universal Works Parka in weird dusty charcoal. The colorway isn't that sharp charcoal that you want, it's more like "what color is your coat???". Also, it's 100% cotton, has plain white lining which is now blue from my raw denims and it can't take nordic winter conditions at all. I would say its worth around half what I bought it for, at most.
    -A whole bunch of preppy stuff I bought in the beginning of the summer when I thought I liked that look. Makes me look like a douchebag and pretty much everyone else in Sweden.

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Best purchases were the more expensive items I purchased. It's difficult to think of a t-shirt or jeans as a "best purchase".

junhashimoto "inner riders" leather
    [​IMG]

junhashimoto "ribbed" leather
    [​IMG]

wjk "cold weather" M66
    [​IMG]

N4 boots
    [​IMG]

Worst purchase would probably be some wjk shorts which had too baggy of a fit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Cosign on the Happy Socks! Haha

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Best:

1. ToJ BCDR
    2. SExDBxSxS12s

I wear these things literally every day I can (the ToJ since the weather's cooled down enough to wear it).

Worst:

1. Daytons (still haven't received my replacement pair)
    2. Couple of pairs of boots I bought off B&S and ebay that ended up being too small/not the right style for me

Most of my purchases that didn't work out were returnable, so I could also say the combined return shipping charges of more than half of my purchases.

Undecided:

- Levi's x Filson trucker - The weather hasn't been bad enough to break it out much.
    - MMM GATs - I'm mostly wearing boots during colder weather, although I'm sure they'll get a lot of use once it warms up next year.

Honorable mentions for best:

- MMM side zip boots (I haven't had them long enough to call them a definitive best)
    - AA baby-rib thermal henleys
    - cashmere blend Happy Socks (although the non-cashmere pairs I bought are pretty lousy)

11. DLester

DLester Senior member

Best:
    - Balenciaga puffer jacket (could have gone very badly, was not returnable)
    - Bal shearling/suede jacket
    - Bal zipup shearling lined boots (dumb luck)
    - Bal waxed black denim
    - MA+ grey boots
    - RO intarsia moto.
    - Also that DVN raindrop bomber that is so easy to wear.
    - And the grey Diors that I could wear every day.
    - (and the Zara funnel coat :eek:)

Worst:

- fake patent leather Balenciaga boots (not the zip boots) off sufu that were the cheapest thing I ever saw when I opened the box; I was livid. Seller took them back.
    - Multicolor painted Diors that are way too much for me to wear; those are being sold. offers?
    - I failed on a bunch of stuff I can't even remember--if it was unreturnable I put it on b&s or ebay that day.

I still have a few 2011 purchases in transit that could either be best or worst .....

12. snake

snake Senior member

^ wait those balenciaga zip boots were fake?

Best-
    -old Helmut Lang bondage silk jacket
    -Schneider hooded alpaca coat (even moreso now that it's rarer then unicorn pelt)
    -Ann bondage pants
    -Julius calf leather

Worst-
    Viridi Anne linen jacket. Fit was ok but the fabric felt really cheap and uncomfortable against the skin. Not to mention all the dust it attracted.

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

^ I think you're thinking of the shearling lined ones.

I'm kinda sad I missed on the hooded alpaca train (inexcusable I know)

14. snake

snake Senior member

You didn't grab the longer length one?

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

Lol Those are real. Others were fake thatt no one here ever saw, more in a minute