• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2010

brianoh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by husbands
there is a sage green one, in 6oz sylkoil waxed cotton, and a brown one. the brown one is what I have, and don't like, and the green one is the one I linked to. I have tried on both and the fit is basically the same, though the sage green one has a little more heft

Thank you for your response. I picked up the green one that was on Aarons yesterday.. Will take in the order based on your recommendation.

husbands

Reaction score
yeah the sage jacket is fantastic, good choice, especially at that price. the reason I got the brown one for so cheap was that it isn't waxed cotton

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did not suffer from many bad purchases this year, which is surprising considering how many I made. Best: KVA extra-long inseam pants. I get so much wear out of these, it's amazing. Love them. Petar Petrov pants in mint. lovely. Margiela side-zips in "dusty rose." TOJ Leather: Well, you read the review. Incredible quality, versatility, and fit. It'll last me a thousand years, or at least until I'm old and fat and give it to my 16 year-old son. White Balenciaga high-tops. Combined with the KVA or Petrov pants, they were probably my favorite do-up of the summer. Actually, all of my footwear purchases this year, barring one, have been on point. geller seconds a-shirt and Silent tees: best-fitting and mot interesting "basics" (not really basic) you could ask for. Worst: Patent blue DBSS sneakers. Bought these on a whim, they're really awesome to look at but just don't mesh with anything else that I own. Really, my only off-the-cuff purchase that didn't work out alarmingly well. Plus, the ebay transaction was stressful, which only made it worse that I'm not in love with them. If no one buys, I might take another crack at them this summer, but for now they're forlorn and alone in my closet. Margiela beautiful boots in dusty rose, for a girl: unbelievably nice boots, too small, can't return. Really depressing for everyone involved. Be up for sale soon. RJB 19cm jeans. Again, really really nice jeans, but just not what I'm into these days (bought in early January). Not enough wear to justify. They're good for grunge days, I suppose, but those are few and far between lately.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BEST:

Nearly everything. It was a good year.
TOJ Chesterfield, various shirts and knits, dior and acne jeans, a new pair of wingtips. Yeah.

WORST:

Dries boots, but only because they didn't fit and I had to sell. Still kinda upset about that one.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Made my two best purchases at retail:
CP arctic boots
PBJ xx-011

Also got a few things I liked at heavily marked down prices:
Ervell buttondown
NdG trench
NdG fishtail parka
BoO blue check flannel

R.I.P. NdG. Your crappy service and awesome winter sales will be missed.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Shoreman- I want that Fisherman, but I am holding out until next year to see if they do it in ecru.

I THINK they're offering a cream/off-white this spring, altho I'm not sure if that's dependent on retailers picking up that color. Plus, that's not quite ecru.

colins

Reaction score
Best: (It's been a good year)

Winn Perry x Alden Little Tanks - Just ordered them like 30 minutes ago so I could get them on this list.

Epaulet British Khaki Rivet Chino - The fit and quality are amazing, hands down the best pair of pants I've ever owned.

Epaulet Oxblood Cord Shirt - Great fit OTR, goes with everything, the texture makes girls want to touch you constantly.

Rugby OCBD - Holy ****, a slim OCBD with longer arm lengths? My search has come to an end. Landed two of these for about $45 each and I have no complaints about quality.

Filson 257 Bag - The pockets on the side, at either ends of the zipper, are the perfect size for a flask. Just sayin'.

Benjamin Sartorial Lucente Suit - I know this isn't MC, but it's worth giving a forum affiliate some love. I took the jacket to several tailors and the only alteration suggestion I got was to let the sleeves out a quarter of an inch; otherwise, it was perfect. The tailor who did that work complimented the quality. The first time wearing it, someone asked where I bought it because they were so visually impressed that they decided to buy the same one. $500 well spent.

Worst:

JCrew sweaters and chinos - awful fit, diaper butt

Uniqlo button downs - awful fit

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I THINK they're offering a cream/off-white this spring, altho I'm not sure if that's dependent on retailers picking up that color. Plus, that's not quite ecru.

Cool, I will keep an eye out for it. Whatever creamy off-white color is fine with me.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
Madstaxbro, do you have a fit pic of that shirt? Looks ******* fantastic but I wouldn't know how to wear that out.

Yeah I didn't know how to wear it either so I sold it. If you're interested I think it was part of Sugar Cane x Begin.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Best:
-Vintage Class 5 65/35 parka. Most amazing red dye I have ever seen, great simple construction and a good fit too. Best purchase of the last few years, easily.
-SNS Fisherman.
-South Willard running sandals in black.
-APC polo. I hate polos but this one works surprisingly well. With 45RPM pants and the SW sandals, it has been on me all summer.
-Birdwell shorts, before they went crazy!
-A Raf jacket I got for really cheap on Yoox. Nothing special, just a very good fit.

Nothing bad.
I didn't buy much this year, and it worked better this way.

Ike

Reaction score
Best:
Levis x Filson Trucker Jacket
Belstaff Linen Mustang Jacket off of Gilt. Paid like $138 on a final sale, and it's a badass jacket. I work a lot in North Africa, so I can pull off the whole colonial shtick.
Masons button downs. Got a few for about 80% off a bit ago, fantastic shirts.
JW Hulme Slim Portfolio in Heritage leather. Great portfolio for not lugging a lot of crap around. Gotten loads of compliments on it from all different types of people.

Worst:
Anything Relwen. Except their blue plaid shirt from S/S 2010, which still has broken sizing, despite looking nice.

All I need to do now is pick up that damn Barbour Derwent I've been lusting after forever.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ike
Best:
Belstaff Linen Mustang Jacket off of Gilt. Paid like $138 on a final sale, and it's a badass jacket. I work a lot in North Africa, so I can pull off the whole colonial shtick.
r.

Haha, that's awesome.

Best:
Creed Aventus, the notes it gives off at different times of the day are amazing and it lasts forever
Vince knit peacoat, got me through the southern california winter
D&G cropped wool peacoat, got me through the rainy portion of the southern california winter

Worst:
A few ill fitting v-necks in my quest for the perfect everyday wear t-shirt.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything that I have bought this year were good except: ss10 Damir Doma tee: looks like a ******* dress on me Odyn Vovk canvas jacket: should have sized up more.
ffffuuuu.gif
gilt sizing.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BEST
WORST WWM Fleece Rincon vest: Never really liked the color on me or felt very uncomfortable wearing it. WWM Linen colorblock wedge short: Went a little over board with WWM this year as Daiki's run is ending. Never even wore these before I sold them. Self Edge x Toyo Jungle Cloth pants: Bought into the hype. Didn't really like the olive-ish tone, or the sheen of the jungle cloth. Paid way too much for these. Instead of selling them--I wore them as work pants this summer and now they have paint all over them and I think they look better than they did originally. Probably my biggest regret. 2009 UPDATE Still love my W+H melton over shirt and wear it relatively frequently. I still wear my Tanner belt as well, but less frequently as I wear my Kenton Sorenson one more. The SExDBxSUFU jean are the only jeans I wear. Going strong after almost 2 years.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Lots of wwm on these lists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads