1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Your best speeding ticket story?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Renault78law, Mar 24, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

So he was roaring through Georgia
    Speaking of tickets and Georgia, I need to go to court in two weeks to fight my first-ever speeding ticket. (Athens Clarke County) What should I wear? I'm afraid that most of my suits would set me in a bad light, as they all fit me well, have a fair amount of visible handwork (pick stitching and the like), and are obviously not from any of the men's clothiers around here. (The men's stores around here only carry sack suit type dross.) Should I go thrifting for a fused, suit or make do with what I have? I figure I can wear a burgundy Charvet tie without attracting too much notice to it, especially if I do something I would not ordinarily do and wear it with a buttondown collar shirt. (A spread collar would make me look like a carpetbagger, I suspect.) I also assume I'll have to shine the black Ferragamo cap-toes that I haven't worn since Christmas mass, as brown shoes might look uppity when combined with my (slight) accent. The situation is, briefly, there was an SUV attempting to pass me on the right, from a turn lane, but that presumably saw the motorcycle cop he was shading me away from and slammed on his brakes, ending up behind me. I was speeding, but it was about 37-40 in a 30 and not the 46 at which I was allegedly clocked. Legally it is entirely a he-said he-said situation, with the other "he" being an officer of the law so I'm not expecting much beyond the waste of a day and maybe a slight reduction in my penalty.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Saucemaster, good story but probably apocryphal. I know a dozen guys (not even all from Jersey) who claim to have said the same thing to the same hick cop.

Lessee, Veteran's Day 2002 (before my first deployment but after commissioning), on my way to visit my grandmother down the shore. The cop didn't give a flying hoot about the military ID, but the judge sure did. 90 in a 65, $30 fine.

Tom

3. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Saucemaster, good story but probably apocryphal. I know a dozen guys (not even all from Jersey) who claim to have said the same thing to the same hick cop.

Totally possible, which is why I prefaced it by noting that I heard this from my boss. I figured it was amusing enough to post one way or the other. I'm still relatively new to the Northeast, so I haven't heard all the "this happened to my buddy" stories yet.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

Totally possible, which is why I prefaced it by noting that I heard this from my boss. I figured it was amusing enough to post one way or the other. I'm still relatively new to the Northeast, so I haven't heard all the "this happened to my buddy" stories yet.
    Speaking of flying through Georgia, I once read one on a BMW forum about a guy who took delivery of a new M5 and was having fun at 170MPH+ through Georgia when he got pulled over by a helicopter. I doubt they let him off with a warning...

5. denning

denning Senior member

My brother's friend once got pulled over for speeding and a middle aged cop walked over to her car. He asked for license and registration etc. etc. She wanted to get out of the ticket. So she asks,"If I show you my t!ts will you let me off?" Cop looks at her and says, "No... But you can still show me your t!ts." She didn't.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Speeding pisses me off like none other. My little sister was killed by a speeding cop going 85 in a 45, and I've hated anyone who speeds excessively ever since, especially when they're in nice cars and they're even more when they're headed to the mall.

Anyway my friend's dad was going about 80 on the 15, the rest of the traffic was going 90+ mph, and he got pulled over by a CHP officer. CHP officer says, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and my friend's dad says "Yea, because I was the only one going slow enough for you to catch."

He got off with a warning. [​IMG]

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Sorry to hear that, Brian. What happened to the cop?

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Sorry to hear that, Brian. What happened to the cop?

He's a cop. Nothing, of course.

9. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

He's a cop. Nothing, of course.
    Sorry to hear about that Brian.

A.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My condolences as well.

My maternal grandfather was also killed in a traffic accident.

Jon.