• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your best kickass chili recipe

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you guys are planning on using any public toilets, and want to retain your gentility and civility, you'd better not forget to pack your plunger. Tadeusz is watching..
uhoh.gif

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If you guys are planning on using any public toilets, and want to retain your gentility and civility, you'd better not forget to pack your plunger. Tadeusz is watching..
uhoh.gif

If I truly wanted to be stylish, I wouldn't eat things like chile con carne, etc due to the necessity of a plunger the next day.

Or air freshener.

Or something to drown out the sounds coming from the bathroom.

biggrin.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, this isn't hot chili, this is "princess chili" - what I make for my daughters

1 pound each

ground turkey leg
ground turkey breast
ground bison
stew beef
onions
zuccini
squash
red peppers
green peppers
yellow pepper
orange peppers
carrots
celery

5 pounds
fresh tomotos

8 16 ounce cans of pinto beans

2 tablespoons each ground habanaro chile, sweet hungarian chili, cinimon, cumen salt

brown meat with onions, add all of the vegetables (except beans), chopped into small pieces, cook for about an hour, add beans and spices. cook for another hour or so. feeds my kids for a month.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? It isn't hot, even with habanero chiles in it?

I won't even mess with habaneros. They scare me. I've had many of the "weaker" chiles and been sorry, I don't even want to attempt to try the hottest chile on the planet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Really? It isn't hot, even with habanero chiles in it?

I won't even mess with habaneros. They scare me. I've had many of the "weaker" chiles and been sorry, I don't even want to attempt to try the hottest chile on the planet.

yeah - this is about 5 liters of chile, it gets flavor, but not too much heat. It really is a chile for 2 year old girls.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will take it to the grave sorry!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need Mauro. I saw it on the shelf at my supermarket.

slag.

FrankDrebben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Get an assortment of dried peppers (anchos, anaheims, pequin, etc), brown them in a skillet over medium heat, soak them, remove stems and some of the seeds, puree them with some of the soaking water, use that as your flavor base. Use chipotles sparingly, or not at all, they overwhelm the flavor of the other chiles. Use Mexican oregano, its not the same as regular oregano. If you use tomatoes, buy Rotel brand. If you use canned beans, use the jalapeno Ranch Style brand beans, but drain and rinse them as their sauce will dominate the flavor of your chili, add them just long enough before serving to heat them up. Agree with comment above, add a small amount of unsweetened cocoa powder about an hour before the chili is finished, you can also use brown sugar in a pinch. Add about a tbsp of fresh lime juice 1/2 hour before serving, it cuts any greasiness and brightens the flavor of the chiles you used. Top with raw red onions and sharp cheddar cheese, to eat it the old school Texas way, serve it with saltines, not tortilla chips.

I compete in several chili cookoffs each year and have a few tips. First, the winning recipes of the world champion each year are posted on the webiste of the body that oversees the competitions, the International Chili Society http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/R...usID=4&Champ=1.

Also, I quoted the response above because I am a big believer in using whole dried chilis, reconstituting them by boiling and then pureeing them into a chil paste which is the base for the rest of the sauce.

A lot of competitors use a little breakfast sausage for fat/flavor.

Trial and error.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads