• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ancestry

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I know it's been brought up before in some huge thread; but, why is it that Jews feel their faith can be used for their nationality/ancestry/lineage?

I guess you didn't find the previous explanations satisfactory?

Science would tell us that Judaism is more than just a religious faith. My previous post on this thread addresses just that. Although my family is from Germany, Austria-Hungary, Prussia and Poland, my y-chromosome haplogroup is rare in those areas. The notable exception is among Jews. On the other hand, my haplogroup is the same as many Arabs (60-80% of Bedouin Arabs) and Samaritans (>80%). This would indicate that I share a liniage with other Jews and Semitic peoples rather than Germanic people.

There are also various genetic disorders common in Jews that are not shared with other "Germans" and "Poles". Some of these include Tay-Sacs disease. 1:30 Ashkenazi Jews are carriers as compared to 1:300 of the general European population; if you are a carrier of Tay-Sacs, there is probably a "Jew in the woodpile". Askenazi Jews also have a very high incidence of BRCA mutations that predispose to breast/ovarian cancer. Being Jewish is also a risk factor for Crohn's disease. Part of taking a family history, for medical reasons, includes listing Jewish decent; I don't think physicians are concerned with the patient's "faith".

Certainly both culture and faith are part of being Jewish and not every Jew is of Jewish decent. Until very recent times, conversion to Judaism was rare, but it is much more common now. In generations to come, this may have an impact on genotype and disease risk factors. This will not be seen in our lifetimes. As humans have become more mobile, intermarriage between all ethnic groups and nationalities have increased. One day we may all be homogeneous, but that day has not yet arrived.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Let me have some candy Cartman!

Uhhhh let's see, nope, I don't have any Jewish candy!

"If some girl tried to kick ******, I'd be like, 'Hey. Why don't you stop ... dressing me like a mailman ... uh, and making me dance for you ... while you go and ... smoke crack in your bedroom ... and ******** with ... some guy ... I don't even know. On my dad's bed."

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
"If some girl tried to kick ******, I'd be like, 'Hey. Why don't you stop ... dressing me like a mailman ... uh, and making me dance for you ... while you go and ... smoke crack in your bedroom ... and ******** with ... some guy ... I don't even know. On my dad's bed."

You're a boner biting bastard uncle ******!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You're a boner biting bastard uncle ******!

"Why is it that everything today has to do with things either going in or coming out of ******?"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
"Why is it that everything today has to do with things either going in or coming out of ******?"

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Were there any tall, thin humanoids in the room? Any anal probing? Eviscerated cows in the general area?

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
You seem a little irritable, Kyle. You got some sand in your ******?

Mom, what's a rim job?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Mom, what's a rim job?

Excuse me, but I do believe that sucks ass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads