• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your 10 Essentials

Calden

Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of top ten lists. One I enjoy looking at is a feature at the Style.com website called '10 Essentials', where designers talk about the ten things they can't live without. I thought it would be interesting to ask Style Forum members a relatively similar question...

If you could only own ten items to make up your casual wardrobe for an entire year, what would they be?
(This does not include socks, underwear, or mandatory formal occasions such as work, weddings, and funerals.)

Calden

Reaction score
alden.jpg

01. Alden Black Cordovan Boots AF43 - These boots will last forever, are perfectly formed to my feet, and can be worn with everything. I know I should have another pair of shoes or boots so I can alternate, but I don't want to sacrifice anything else on my list.

ssds.jpg

02. Nudie Straight Sven Dry Selvage - I'm choosing these because they're my favorite pair of raw jeans. Samurai's and PBJs are both tempting, but I don't own either so it's hard to say.

03. American Apparel White Crewneck Tshirt - If I'm going to wear the same thing all the time, it can't stand out. Nothing could be safer than a plain white tshirt, assuming I don't spill all over myself.

eg-1.jpg

04. Engineered Garments Herringbone Bedford - Not only is this jacket incredibly beautiful and functional, but it adds a much needed touch of class when I'm drinking a can of Black Label or PBR.

05. Hanes Black Zip Hoodie - I need a Loopwheeler. In the meantime this Hanes does the job, and I'm not gonna cry if someone accidently burns me with their cigarette.

lgc3.jpg

06. Leather Goods Connection Belt - I've always liked the look of brass after it's been worn a while.

wallet.jpg

07. Leather Goods Connection Wallet - This is by far the nicest wallet I've ever had. I got really sick of flimsy leather wallets and their crappy fabric linings. This is the real deal.

08. Jantzen White Shirt - While I don't actually own this yet, I am hopefully going to order one this weekend.

brsweater.jpg

09. Banana Republic Grey Crewneck Sweater - Blah. I need a nice sweater.

jcrewchinos.jpg

10. Jcrew Broken In Chinos - These were given to me as a gift, and to my surprise I really liked them. (I'm already regetting not putting Ray Bans instead).

* I was curious to see what I would choose from things that I own, but I meant for the list to be anything...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Calden
alden.jpg

01. Alden Black Cordovan Boots AF43 - These boots will last forever, are perfectly formed to my feet, and can be worn with everything. I know I should have another pair of shoes or boots so I can alternate, but I don't want to sacrifice anything else on my list.

i want!

-Jeff

Brian SD

Reaction score
We've seriously had so many of these posts.. DDML please offer some advice.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no pics but here's my list for now...

Corpus Berliner Jacket
Black Chucks
Helmut Lang navy blue denim jacket
APC NS
PDC Chinos
New York Industrie cotton crewneck sweater
Paul Smith blue/white check button down
AA thermal hoodie
Old Navy blue ribbon belt
Yoko D white palms t-shirt

damn, i want those Aldens...

-Jeff

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
my 10 casual essentials from stuff I own:

1. Nudie Thin Finn
2. Paul Smith boots
3. Ben Sherman UK-made short sleeve buttondown
4. Fred Perry UK-made polo
5. black Harrington jacket
6. Spiewak fur collar flightjacket
7. Nudie conny denim jacket
8. Fred Perry Made in Italy navy cricket sweater
9. Adidas Originals red/white/blue "antelope" trainers
10. Paul Smith 'mainline' buttonup striped shirt

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
1. patrick ervell navy cotton bomber
2. loafers (gucci, rossi)
3. blazers
4. mm washed black pants
5. dark denim
6. common projects
7. fred perry uk cardigan
8. button ups (mm washed black, BoO shirts)
9. mm rep trainers
10. carpe diems, cp jacket, branquinho cardi (ok I don't have these yet
crackup[1].gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads, but tastes evolve (OK, maybe not since May) and the two I could find were pretty well hijacked. Unfortunately, these lists always turn out a little boring for me, as I go with basics I can switch in and out.

Ten non-dress items I wouldn't want to live without:
1. Spiewak p coat--navy, unobtrusive, warm, classic
2. APC Anglaise (no link, but similar to the rescue)--Suitable denim for pretty much every situation (though they're getting a little ratty around the cuffs)
3. AA thermal--Gray, layerable, comfortable
4. Steven Alan shirt--Nifty, versatile plaid with enough color to play off other items (mine's gray with black, green, gold, red, blue). Perfect cut for me.
5. Vintage navy "cambridge" hoodie--also getting a little ratty, but wearable and the "cambridge U" embroidery adds a little interest
6. FP Track Jacket--I just can't live without it. Also the only thing not primarily blue or gray on my list: mine is brown with sky stripes.
7. Vintage pink/blue le tigre polo--I don't care if LT isn't cool, this shirt looks good. Mine is ancient and threadbare.
8. AA tshirts--if I had to choose one, I'd go with my built by wendy Hanson bros print
9. Polo Bierleys (brown)--need a leather shoe
10. Navy made in USA purcells--need a sneaker

Calden, I can't believe you managed to fit a belt and wallet into your top 10...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine, I'll play:

1. 5EP raw bootcut jeans. Good for anything.
2. Natural colored converse - the more beat up and discolored, the better.
3. Engineered Garments for Styleforum belt - hey, I poured my heart into this project, man. And the results exceeded my expectations. Thanks Daiki. Besides, I wear my jeans a little slouchy and I have narrow hips, so I absolutely need a belt.
4. Jay Allen Bespoke tee - the burnt orange color and barely there graphic makes it pretty much my goto tee shirt.
5. w+h black tiger fleece hoodie - If I had to choose 1 hoodie, I'd take this one. Goes with everything, warm, impervious to coffee spills.
6. w+h shawl collar sweatshirt - because I can't wear a hoodie everywhere (though I've tried.) Plus, cut, materials, overall design are all great.
7. Nom de Guerre M65 coat - Normally, black is not that versatile. But the herringbone material, with some charcoals and greys in it make it so. Cut is superlative. And unless I am inland north of the arctic circle, I'll be warm enough in it layered over a hoodie
8. Fred Bare Engineer's cap - these days, I never feel right without a brim.
9. Baltazar belt - a man needs more than one belt.
10. Messenger bag. I would love to say my Varvatos leather satchel, but my Chrome bag is a lot more useful day to day.

modual

Reaction score
Lvc 1947
adidas gazelle suede
fred perry ltd edition paul weller polo
Dark brown Baracuta Harrington
Sugarcane belt
Lambswool Munsingwear v neck
AA t shirt
Lacoste polo
Desert boots
Nudie reg ralf

Calden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
We've seriously had so many of these posts.. DDML please offer some advice.

Sorry Brian, I know there are too many of these. I made my own list just because I was bored at work. Then thought, why not ask the forum?

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My turn:

1. Sugarcane 1966's

2. Engineered Garments green painters pants

3 & 4. Engineered Garments Black Whipcord Bedford & Fishing Jacket
img10562339492.jpeg
fishingshtjkhb1.jpg

5 & 6. Engineered Garments Newton Shirts
egfw03.gif
eg_sh_5front.jpg

7. Belt: Calvin Klein (hmmm. maybe I should get an EG one from Gary, make this list complete?)

8. Logan Shoes (EngGar Shoes? $500? No thanks) & EG Work Shirt
5482brn.jpg
workshirttwillpd3.jpg

10. Engineered Garments Wool Norfolk (soon to be shipped via Celga, $250
tounge.gif
!)
eg_jk_7_frontjpg.jpg

Looks like I went a little overboard with the EG stuff this season and my wallet's in some major pain. Oh well. What can you do? I'm an addict.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
That's a pretty good price for the Norfolk jacket. Was it on sale in Japan? I remember it being slightly cheaper than the Bedford jacket.

Max

Reaction score
White shirt - good fit, small spread collar, barrel cuffs.
Grey vest - filson?
Black blazer - unvented, cut short with one button, peak lapels, and padded shoulders.
Darkest gray slimmer cut jeans.
V-neck t shirt in white.
Black thermal hoodie.
High top skate shoes in black leather.
Black point-toe wingtips
Black belt with gold "Maxwell" name buckle.
Purple scarf.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
That's a pretty good price for the Norfolk jacket. Was it on sale in Japan? I remember it being slightly cheaper than the Bedford jacket.
Yahoo Auctions

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads